Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I support the fact that Governments are not the only factor in high property prices here, hence changing Government is no guarantee that things will improve.

Good article in the Times today about where SF are going to get all the money to follow through on the promises they are making. For the significant proportion of the country who already own their homes, rising property prices are not their primary concern.

. I don’t have any political affiliation, but it really is stupid to think that the Government is solely to blame for the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

They closed because of peoples purchasing habits changed.

As for your comment about political parties in power during a recession they were the same parties in power during non recessionary periods. They were the only parties in power full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

If they are paying twice as much on rent, would you think that might be the gun to the head to sign on the dotted line to avail of this scheme.

When it all goes belly up, will our politicians head off to Davos and blame these people for going mad on property?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And how can the government reduce rents. There is no magic bullet just more supply. We have a limited construction labour force. Yet I. All this demand house construction is starting to slow down especially on one off units, refurbishment's and extensions.

Builders providers reducing staff hours. Paint and tile shops starting to see less activity. This may reduce labour costs on these trades a bit, however will this be enough to keep activity going.

Or will the prices of supplies remain high. The reality is we have front loaded energy costs of houses into there construction stage.

Demands has increased as well because you have more single person households.

Is someone on an average wage better off with a house in which the government have 20-30% or are they better renting with no end in site.

Slava Ukrainii

Do you know what the Shared Equity Scheme is, and how it works? It actually helps buyers out of the rental trap by bridging the gap between what they can pay and the price of the home they want to buy.

Im struggling to see how this could be construed as the Government heaping debt on the buyer. It’s equivalent to blaming banks for providing a mortgage to buy a house if the buyer hasn’t the cash.

Please read this before you post anymore drivel:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/c3ecd-brand-new-400-million-first-home-scheme-to-make-home-ownership-a-reality-for-first-time-buyers/#

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It doesn't though? It just increases prices across the board, I doubt it changes who is actually buying the houses, it'll just change the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

There was a report recently enough that showed that the shared equity scheme in the UK has been a big driver of house price inflation. I'm not sure how it was approved for here.

It's a pretty bad deal all round for those who take it up. First, the government has a stake in your house. That would be fine, except after 5 years you need to start paying interest on that stake without actually paying it down. It is a low enough rate if interest, but it goes up every few years Depending on where the interest rate on the principal is at in 5 years, it could be crippling for the buyers to have that extra interest come due. Then to add insult to injury, if/when you sell, you need to pay back that 30% stake which will include any gains made. So for example if you borrow 90k on a 300k house, and that house is now worth 450k, you'll owe the government 135k. After having paying them interests all along.

Desperate folk will go for it and just wave away those issues because the alternative is utter hopelessness.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me at all if in 15-20 years time when the gaff is sold the gov never comes collecting for some reason or other.

Jesus wept, what exactly are you guys asking for?

You want the Government to help you buy a house, they introduce a scheme which helps people do that, but you are not happy for those people who avail of it. The Government are not going to hand you cash/cut the wages of all the people competing against you/stop companies investing in Ireland offering well paid jobs/going to build tens of thousands of houses so that prices fall and you can buy one. Residential property is built in all bar a minute number of cases by private developers, and as the cost of building/profits to be made are out of the control of the government, what exactly are you guys waiting for, and why wouldn’t you think it a good thing that those who do avail of this scheme, finally have an opportunity to buy a home.

I bought my home last year so none of your rant applies to me. This whole thing is pretty simple, supply is inadequate, so giving people more money to buy houses is going to do one thing - increase prices. If we get to the point where building homes isn't profitable, then maybe this scheme would help, but we aren't there yet.

Adam, what is it you think/want the next Government to do to help everyone who wants to buy a house?

Do you think the State is going to build them? Hopefully not, because if you do, then you are deluded.

No matter how much a Government helps, the houses are going to be built by private developers which means they are going to be expensive, and subject to market forces. So all those people with good, we’ll paid jobs are going to be bidding against those with an average wage. And as there will be no way hundreds of thousands of houses will be built at the same time, prices will stay high until demand falls. Supply is inadequate, everyone knows this, but you can’t magic up cheap housing.

So, tell me, what is it you think the next Government should, or could do.

• Advertisement

They should not do a shared equity scheme. If we're at max construction capacity, this scheme doesn't help at all, it just increases prices. That's all I'm saying, you've inferred so much more from my post that I haven't even hinted at.

It helps the people availing of it if they buy a home.

how many people will avail of it or be considered budget for it originally was very smalla

From the site:

“The scheme is making €400 million available, to facilitate the purchase of up to 8,000 homes over a 5-year period, subject to demand.”

How could anyone view this as the Government “heaping debt” on the buyers who avail of it, and how can they think such a limited number would have any affect on house prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I know from your posts you're very much vested inwanting prices to remain high. But the housing crisis here is a shambles. Up the taxs on multinationals untill some start to leave. Too many jobs here is leading to immigration. Definitely going SF. People say there economic polices are bad for FDI but that is what exactly we need here atm.

What about the 270k employees and over 16bn in direct payroll the MNCs bring to the Irish economy? What about all the taxes the State takes in in corporate tax and taxation on employee income which pays for all the services?

You want unemployment to skyrocket, employees to default on their mortgages, and all the businesses/employees who indirectly benefit from those 16bn in wages to close/lose their jobs? So you can buy a house.

And all this while SF will be telling anyone who will listen that our robust economy will be able to to provide the billions necessary to support a United ireland and replace the UK subsidy paid yearly to NI. You need to give it a bit more thought.

So 80m a year or 1600 houses per year. So roughly only 5% of new builds.

As I said I own a house but I am not greedy and have a lot of empathy to hard working people who are giving up half their wage in rent or still living at home in their 30's. We are not providing with of just two essentials you need to live... shelter to so many irish people and it is a disgrace. Instead MNC are creating loads of jobs do they can make as much money as they can and are importing workers to fill these roles with zero consideration for the housing crises here.

We need a balance where taxation is raised enough so MNC's are not creating a surplus of jobs and therefore no net immigration is needed to cover the jobs.

The fact is 20k units is enough for Ireland's population with no net immigration. It is not enough units when MNC are creating loads of jobs and no restrictions on immigration. We can't put restrictions on immigration from EU but I dont see why we are giving work permits to non EU workers who are either not in construction or health. If google complain thst they get hire aload of Indians in IT to come here and keep their billion profits high wel let them leave. There is no room anymore for imported workers.

The country is putting MNC profits as a priority over providing one of the essentials needed to live which is an absolute disgrace.

Asking market rate for a house is not greed. If you were selling your house today, you would sell to the highest bidder, just like everyone else. So don’t be a hypocrite.

The Government will never provide private housing for everyone, it never has, it never will. It has neither the finances, resources, manpower nor will to do so. Private developers are the only ones who can do that, and as long as it is expensive to build property, it will be expensive to buy.

Prioritising inward investment by MNCs has got us from the depths of a recession 10 years ago, to full employment and a lot of high paying jobs today. It’s true the success of the fin/tech sector has skewered the property sector, but you must accept that those employees would have had to leave Ireland/been unable to buy houses themselves if it wasn’t for those jobs. Reversing that, making over a quarter of a million people unemployed, from high paying jobs, losing the tax intake from their wages and corporate tax would be catastrophic for our entire economy.

Wanting that to happen isn’t greed, it is lunacy.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

As predicted by others here on this thread...

"The pace of reduction in housing activity accelerated sharply over the month"

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0815/1315745-sharp-decline-in-irish-construction-activity-in-july/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Not surprised - I couldn't believe how quiet the builders providers was the last couple of times I went in. So we are on course for an extra 300k pps numbers this year - anyone know what that'd be net of emigration+ deaths. 200k anyway I reckon.

If supply is dropping and huge numbers of people still coming into the country there is no possibility of price drops, especially with the government buying n renting every second house going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I can't remember where I read it, could have been the FT, but an article stated that many investment/pension funds are selling their investments in property and moving elsewhere. Not sure what that's an indicator of if true, but 5%+ ROI (for rented property) is a ridiculously good return so there must be a serious reason.

In any case, not good news if relying solely on the private sector to provide social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm not surprised, a lot of phases in developments are being effectively delayed indefinitely due to material shortages and costs. There will be a slump in the availability of turn key properties down the line as a result. It's ominous.

It's also showing developers are slowing down activity due to anticipated lower demand. However we will continue to require over 30,000 new builds in the coming years due to demographic changes. It's hard to see how the market will correct itself when the market itself is unable to deliver the required number of new builds whenever there is the perceived possibility of any economic downturn.

The State needs to be more involved in direct construction activity, but there is no sign of that happening. To bring prices down we need to continue developing new builds during any slowdown in economic activity - it should be used as an opportunity to significantly close the gap between supply and demand. That would require greater State intervention in the market.

This slowdown in new builds is going to completely upend the Government's ability to deliver on its housing targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The only hope if building seriously slows down is that you get some sort of public works going

Refurbishment of LA houses that are derelict. Public private partnerships to build mixed developments of 2-3 bed townhouses and semi 'D'. However there will be uproar from those that think a housing collapse is around the corner. The other issue with this is would have to go on existing sites that are owned by developers as there is limited planning at present for housing.

Refurbishment of older semi abandoned houses. The biggest issue will be the upgrading of existing houses to bring up there BER. It seems since energy prices took off that the demand has soared. 50k applications are in progress AFAIK.

Another negative about rental prices is the way the government is proposing to implement any new tax relief to LL. There proposing that this will be subject to long-term leases. This will not slow down LL and unit exits IMO. Larger KL 10+ houses are already in REIT's or mini REIT's. These do not need tax relief.

The smaller LL will continue to exit of the answer is more bureaucracy. The other issue is it will not encourage those shorter term units( people in nursing homes, houses in probate etc) to consider entering the rental market.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

A large percentage of new builds never go on the market to the public. E.g. apartments bought by REITs.

Of the properties available to the lublic, 1600 probably represents 10 to 15%.

Who said I was selling. I need a place to live. The government policys has turned this little country into a tax heaven where the economy has completely been distorted from FDI. Some people who are now giving up over hslf their wage in rent is direct consequence. We need policies to reduce FDI. FG/FF wont do this. Just go along with the ideology where FDI only leeds to good. You're an idot if you cant see the damage this is doing to the housing market or you have your own place and are greedy and dont care about people who cant rent a place for a fair wage or get on the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

No matter how much a Government helps, the houses are going to be built by private developers which means they are going to be expensive, and subject to market forces

There in lies the issue. Market only caters for the top 20% of income earners (with subsidies) . All others pay much higher rents, those that can't afford rent are heavily subsidised by the taxpayer. All homes have services provided by the state, where the cost of same is not recouped in direct property charges.

In effect, all property is subsidised by the taxpayer. The more these subsidies increase, the price and rents increase.

This acts as a ball and chain around the ankles of the economy and its citizens whether you own a house or not, the costs grow. As they grow, the economy eventually crashes.

The state need measures that increase supply, reduce costs not stoking further demand. We need product for each income level that is affordable and potentially achieve a positive return for the state. I've detailed numerous ways this can be done, through cost neutral or revenue positive measures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Agree to a degree, a simple solution would be to ban REITs/ government from bidding against a first time buyer when asking price has been reached. First time and other buyers could continue to bid against each other but at least they're not bidding against REIT/ government.

Such a deal would be very straightforward to implement etc. but in such a case the government equity share might still enable some to get on a property ladder but without a massive bidding war against the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Interesting, isn't it, that the same phenomenon - small LLs being pushed out of the market by government action - is happening simultaneously across several nations and legal jurisdictions?

Previously I posted a link on this thread showing that the same thing was happening in California, New York and New Jersey. Add London and the wider UK to that list.

Of course there is a wider trend of destruction of small businesses in general due to emergency health and safety legislation, regulation and inflation.

Advertisement