Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do you hear about climate change?

• 12-08-2022 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Our home were surveyed recently and this question was was asked of us, which I thought was rather interesting. Climate change is a near ubiquitous topic in news and current affairs and the response to it is frequently and endlessly debated here. I'd say I encounter the phrase daily and mostly several times a day. This is at work and at home consuming news and media.

How often do you hear about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Every day.

Good weather -> Climate change

Bad weather -> Hot weather elsewhere and talk of "more extremes"

Normal weather -> Gentle "climate change hasn't gone away you know" articles and reminders

It makes sense. There is about 40 years of oil left. You don't want to start feeling the pinch of oil running out as the economic and social upheaval would be unimaginable. The drive for net-zero by 2040 ""because of climate change"" sets the world up for a comfortable 20 year buffer to wean itself off oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Every day from my wife every time I leave a light on.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I hear about it on here and in the media.

In reality I never really hear people talking about it or being overly worried about it apart from how it's costing them money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'd love be be asked that, 'Climate change? Umm noooo, no I don't think so no, no'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I don't know why it matters anyway. Judging by the amount of abortion rallies and protests modern women and soys are carrying out nowadays the human race will soon die out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I hear about it regularly, but some of what is contributed to climate change used to just be called weather.

I'm not a denier btw, but there's a lot of histrionics attached to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just looking at the news headlines on Aertel there:

16 stories of which:

1 about Covid

0 about Ukraine

6 about weather or fires

The media don't even have to make the effort to include a climate change angle in every weather story now as they know that the public will make the link anyway

This will be the gift that keeps on giving unless some other distraction/we're all doomed story comes along (e.g. Covid).Then once that fizzles out we'll be back to weather and climate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

The propaganda over the climate "emergency" seems to have really ramped up over the last few months.

I think they want to significantly restrict/control people's activities in the future and a process of conditioning is under way. The climate "emergency" is just an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The general consensus from the middle aged men on boards is that it's a tax scam from what I can gather. I think most smart people are too busy to post on message boards but any intelligent person I know thinks it's a massive threat to civilisation. I have far too much time on my hands to be on here all the time obvs. When droughts and extreme weather make crop failures more and more common the **** will really hit the fan, it's happening already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

At least in old catholic Ireland you could stop going to the church

this new religion is everywhere it’s priests constantly screaming on all media outlets daily about the end of the world

just swap the word God with climate when you hear them speak

nothing changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The fuk is this. Climate change is actually backed up with tons of data and research. There is more co2 in our atmosphere now than there has been for millions of years, a level that stayed consistent until 1880s and the industrial revolution..

Nowhere is climate change more apparent than in the New Zealand alps. Even in just over a decade the retract of the glaciers there is absolutely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

We've been told oil is running out for how long now? They keep finding more and more. There's about 50 years of oil left of oil reserves they know about. They'll find more and more. There's no need to worry about the oil supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Civilisation is going to end one day anyways. Who says it shouldn't be in the next 100 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You see you are on boards which is an echo chamber of men who don't believe in climate change. These views are not normal. The science is unequivocal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This is religious conviction if ever I saw it, including the the promise of a future paradise for mankind and the identification of prophets (bizarrely, hedge fund managers of all people). Deluded stuff altogether.

I don't get why people have to be so "one or the other", particularly those sceptical of climate change. Can't they just acknowledge that the research has been in-depth, the data has been gathered, the maths has been done - to indicate that there has been damage done. They'd accept that as excellent evidence if it was in relation to something they agreed with. It's not stupid or gullible or "mid-wit" to be convinced by these findings. What convinces them otherwise?

At the same time, I think it's fair enough to question some of the doom-mongering. When there was hot weather a few weeks ago, the media was hysterical. Now it's hotter - and for longer - yet the media is much quieter about it, which indicates to me that there's a realisation they over-did it last time.

But people saying it's a load of bollox though - I don't know where they're getting that from. Wishful thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

The fact that 97% of climatologists believe something to be true doesn't necessarily make it so. You can prove anything with scientific facts, but that doesn't change anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You think BlackRock and vanguard are hedge funds? What they invest in is not based on any superior intelligence or knowledge of the future. They are indeed fund managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

if I remember correctly around the 2007 general election the environment was a top five vox pop priority, but within two years and many years after it didn't feature in the top ten. In another recession I reckon the same will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I just switch off to be honest…only background noise on tv, online or in print media,

I don’t waste electricity or energy, i travel in one of the most green and environmentally friendly hybrids going….

im posting this from a room with a single stand lamp illuminated this evening….

where I live is super well insulated requiring less fuel to heat. Use Klarstein fans ( amazing btw ) and natural air to cool in the summer… fans are super energy efficient…

so I’m personally doing my bit….

when governments get serious about tackling the main catalysts of climate change..two of which are..

1. Industry
    2. Agriculture

Then I ‘might’ see and listen to what other sacrifices I might make…

fleets of non hybrid vehicles…couriers, taxis, freight companies - no regulation to make xx% of their fleets electric or hybrid, why ?

bigger tax breaks for X years for environmentally efficient vehicles, both commercial and personal…might be an idea…then by xx year, they need to be under a certain emission levels

so I just switch off…

guy at the gym about 4 years ago, bemoaned the gyms impact on the environment…. This only after joining, I suggested he might go home and google ‘solar powered treadmill’ and see how he got on..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Propoaganda? Have you seen aerial imagery of the UK lately looking like the death valley, one of Europe's wettest countries traditionally? Unfortunately the time has come where the media no longer need to use 'propagnda' because the reality is already staring us in the face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

See

Every unusual event is climate change. Climate bloke on the radio the other morning claiming roads were buckling and windscreens were shattering in the heat. In reality it was a case of badly laid tarmac and a stressed screen. No idea if they're right or wrong about climate change, I'd tend to lean towards agreement,but I agree the hysterics do the case no favours.

We're currently in a double El Nino year I think, might account for some of the unusual patterns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Too often. Way, way too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

British rainfall records go back to 1766 and there hasn't been any decrease in average rainfall up to now.

Britain is as wet as it ever was. The real reason for the current water shortages is the significantly increased population but climate change gets the blame.

So yeah, aerial imagery of the UK "looking like Death Valley" is propaganda.

Don't make me defend capitalism...

Nothing to do with badly laid tarmac, it's simply a matter of the tarmac not being able to handle the heat.

We are capable of laying more heat resistant roads but the current roads were built to handle cooler temperatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

This comparison might be valid if God existed and was observable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

The more they push it down people's throats the more meh we will become about it.

There was a time we could have a good spell of weather and it would lift people's mood but now it's almost impossible as the media drive the fear agenda and attempt to make us feel guilty for having a shower or filling the kids paddling pool.

It's very tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

According to magazines back in the 90's the West of Ireland should be in Athlone by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Im sick of hearing about climate change now and so is everyone I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

Another recession and the environment will fall out of the top ten public concerns just as it did when unemployment hit 15% and mass emigration was happening again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

There is about 40 years of oil left

This is exactly the kind of spurious scientific heresy that gets the alarmists weeping and gnashing of teeth about the climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

And who do you claim are the groups that have all secretly colluded in order to do this? and for what motive? Seriously?

Do you think we might ever see a whistle blower on this? Again, seriously? Don't be afraid to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

The media will over dramatise everything. Why would climate change be any different? Far too often people aren't concerned about the long haul, so I don't mind people panicking. It doesn't affect me.

Advertisement