Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Often saw these on hot days in hay meadows back in the 80s and 90s.

Hay was well saved and dry so relatively light and would all of a sudden be pulled up into a funnel which would move through the meadow.

A mini-tornado which my father scientifically described as "fairy farts" 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Not too unusual really during warm and calm spells in August. Especially up your part of the world. Have been swimming in Enisscrone the last few August and the water has been really pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have to say July and August so far in Dublin has been sensational....a summer to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was down in Portmarnock this morning. Can safely say that the Irish sea is still not warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Steady spill of rain around Mountmellick and Portlaoise for the last half hour. With accompanying thunder.

Saw it from a distance as the cloud (strato-cumulus?) was building. Can't have been more than an hour from start to showtime.

Reminds me of the mid-80s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nice example of convection over Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A few seconds of a timelapse I took about 30 mins ago, Clouds moving in all different directions at various heights:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Driving towards Portlaoise, past Stradbally, and lightning to the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Cloudy in Galway...back to the usual weather thank god...we are lucky we only get a few days of it..imagine getting heat like that for weeks and months like they do in other countries ...you cant do anything with heat like that sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Ah will ya stop 🤣 can't do anything? Absolutely glorious weather where you can do anything you want, don't have to worry about weather turning it you're going out on a boat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Unsure where to post this.

Interesting but concerning strong signal (mainly for England but also southeast Ireland eventually I would think) from 7 of the 8 seasonal models showing high pressure in a similar position for the period Nov 2022-Jan 2023. This would not bode well at all for England where it has been dry for many months and drought has been declared in numerous regions already. It is also in line with what's to be expected with another La Niña incoming going by historical analog years. Looking very 1975-76 esque. Another hot, dry summer in 2023 would be disastrous if this were to verify.

Fortunately time for this to change and the predictability from models is low at this lead time especially.

What the models generally show wouldn't suggest a particularly cold winter before you ask. It would be more mild and dry again like 2021-22.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Models already showing us going back into a high pressure fest beginning next weekend. Could be a bit unsettled for the north-west but for much of Leinster and Munster there seems to be plenty of scope for more warmth and sunshine before the end of this month. CFS also has us under another lengthy high pressure achored right over the country for the end of the month and extending into the first week of September.

In terms of rainfall, if some eastern areas escape the showers/thunderstorms from today and tomorrow, they could have a bit of a wait for the next decent bout of rainfall. Once these thunderstorms pass through there won't be much chance of rainfall with pressure remaining quite high for the remainder of August.

Mild, cloudy, dry and gloomy for weeks and weeks on end during winter. Nothing more boring IMO. Just eats up the potential for snow and windstorms. I’m veering off topic so I’ll shut up now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ground here in Meath is extremely dry, the driest I've ever seen it. Grass could probably do with a drop of rain.

Here in Dunshaughlin I've only seen 3 wet days this summer. 2 were in June and 1 in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Light drizzle in North Donegal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Hate to be the one to say it but I think a few days of rain would be welcome in the South East anyway. Hasn't been any significant rain here for quite a while and the land is scorched brown. I haven't cut the grass in weeks and there's been no growth to speak of. Starting to worry about my well running dry at this stage too! Let's hope we get some rain from the forecasted storms today and tomorrow, the garden needs it if nothing else. Although very heavy rain on such dry ground will probably just run off and cause floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Thought ye might like to hear an account of flying off to the sun during an Irish heatwave and those who love sun but didn't get away this year will get a kick out of it.😁

Being a heat and sun worshipper I bought a small appartment in southern Spain 20 years ago, mainly to have an easy escape from the generally awful Kerry summers. Now that said, I had lived on the continent for years and am very into foreign languages and cultures.

Anyway I was meant to be going to Spain on Mon Aug 8th but postponed until Fri Aug 12th so as not to miss all the great weather at home. On Friday afternoon we left stunning weather behind at Kerry airport with the most fantastic visibility airborne that I've ever experienced flying out of Kerry, to a gloomy, overcast Alicante, like sky completely on the ground the way it usually is at home. You would think the routes had somehow mixed each other up. Later Friday evening drinks out on the balcony abruptly ended by thunder, lightening and lashing rain. Welcome to Spain! 😲 The following day continued overcast with temps of 41 degrees and crucifying humidity. Guess who would rather be at home in Kerry! The sky cleared late afternoon and we thought it must be settling now so we prepared a barbecue. Just as we were sitting down to tuck in the heavens opened. It was even too wet to sprint indoors with all the food so we had to eat under the sun umbrella as it lashed all around us. Thank god for wine, eases the pain! August in "sunny" Spain while the entire island of Ireland basked in it.😓😁 Now the rain didn't last too long and it's always hot here but feck that! And today is no great shakes either, mostly cloudy.

So flying off to the sun in this crazy world of CC is no guarantee, but come next summer the planes will be jam packed again and I'll be on a few of them.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Bone dry here in South Kildare too, neighbour is about 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule with the grain harvest and finished the last field on Thursday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

We still have lovely green grass here in NCD. We haven't watered it or anything like that.

Had friends visiting from South East over the weekend and they couldnt believe it.

It probably helped that my husband hasn't got around to cutting it for a while😉

• Advertisement

Lots of lightning in limerick, not raining as heavy as I would like so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

All this summer is missing is snow !

Unreal

Now I know it had to break and not complaining about the rain but wow so dark this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Nope, we don't go near it. Sure a while ago I was onto my husband to cut it as full of those white flowers, my husband said we were doing out bit for the bees😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

SMDs getting a bit of relief in certain spots. Have got about 20mm of rain since 8pm last night. That will only sort the last week of fine weather for moisture loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Daisies? Same as my garden. Does be covered in them before I recut. A sign of poor soil though. Well my garden certainly has poor soil anyway.

No not daisies, other white flowers that the bees love.

Ah Billy sure we are in North County Dublin no poor soil here, great fruit and veg growing around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Cloudy, Dull in Carrigaline Co Cork area. Not much rain in last 24, expect a good bit today though. As for thunder storms, bar a bit of sky lighting up far in the east, that was it. Very odd distant thunder rumble.

Though temps down now, feels hot as humidity well up.

Getting up this morning a bit sad .. already missing pushing open the patio doors to "guaranteed" ( in Irish terms ) Sun .. And also having to take in the parasols etc from Patio last night, was getting used to them being left as is w/o fear :D

I suppose also sad that this is probably it for another year .. though I did see @Carlowweather mention possible final daycent sun weather next week?

Advertisement