Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Cruz is an odious human.

Imagine licking the ass of the man who dunked on your wife in front of hundreds of millions of peoples. More backbone in a jellyfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The biggest one they keep running with is “the president can declassify anything wherever whenever.”

Theyre still treating this like it’s going to be a political impeachment, with a jury of elected officials. It isn’t. The jurors are going to be sequestered AF and this line is going to go over like a lead balloon upon testimony from subject matter experts in SIGINT and the classification protocols

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Saw something about how he only had 6 hours to pack.

As if he did any packing, and anyway he had months to pack from the previous November.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

6 hours and all those months/weeks he tried to obstruct the transition of power.

But great more evidence: admitting the defendant was acting hastily and recklessly with TS/SCI. Super!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The lack of backbone in the GOP is truly beyond belief. Didn't Trump accuse Ted Cruz's father of being involved in the JFK assassination? And make disparaging comments about Cruz's wife? And yet, Cancun Cruz spends 23 hours a day licking Trump's boots. You'd wonder how he can sleep at night.

Plus, anytime he tried to use that "I am the president, I can do wtf I like" etc bullsh1t before the courts, he has been bounced out of it.

I read a few valid points over the weekend.

1) The fact that this stuff was printed out is unusual and would raise questions as to why.

2) he didn't pack this stuff himself. Others did. Others who knew what it was and either knew or were reckless in not checking whether what they were doing was illegal. They are legally compromised now and Trump doesn't have the power anymore to pardon them. Potential there to pressure them to co-operate

3) Any lawyer signing a document confirming that all docs were handed over is in trouble. Further potential there to pressure them to co-operate

Also, it is logical that bringing matters this far either means that the Feds are going to bring something they know can stick, or it is one of the biggest blunders in Fed history. You don't do this unless you are certain you can bring it home. I don't think that if the resulting charge is merely holding on to docs would be enough (politically) to justify these actions. Therefore, there has to be much more than taking the docs and a subsequent obstruction charge when he didn't comply. I think that they need to show either that he

a) tried to monetise the docs, or

b) was actively and overtly jeopardising US security

That's the level I think the charges need to be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

On a big pile of money from all his donors because helping support Trump's agenda and remaining one of the top GOP guys would keep the cash rolling in.

It's how his wife sleeps next to him that I fail to understand, because she's the one the comments were made about. How she or his daughters have stuck around is something I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

His father was with Lee Harvey Oswald prior to Oswald's being — you know, shot. I mean, the whole thing is ridiculous,” Trump said Tuesday during a phone interview with Fox News. “What is this, right prior to his being shot, and nobody even brings it up. They don't even talk about that. That was reported, and nobody talks about it.”

“I mean, what was he doing — what was he doing with Lee Harvey Oswald shortly before the death? Before the shooting?” Trump continued. “It’s horrible.”

To me, it reads more like he's saying that Cruz's father was with Oswald, prior to Oswald being shot, although that wouldn't make sense since Oswald was in custody very shortly after he shot JFK. But whatever he meant, it was a bizarre statement.

As for Cruz (and Paul) maybe they believe supplication to Trump and Trumpism is their surest chance to be president themselves, one day, or maybe just to hang on to their job. Personally, I'd rather fall on my political sword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I would imagine that many in the GP and on Fox are just praying for something so bad that it turns everybody against him. Then he'd be crucified like maybe we've never seen before.

I has to be everybody though, as they cannot afford any significant split in the party.

* Packing was rushed and some confidential docs may have been inadvertently put in the boxes.

* Trump liked to bring work home with him.

* The warrant violates the 4th amendment

Any others?

What could Trump realistically do that would turn everyone against him?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not sure, but there has to be something.

People who are thick and gullible enough to still believe Trump's brand of bullsh!t are thick and gullible enough to have their minds changed, whether it's a new brand of bullsh!t or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I had a look. And they are now just going through the list of the usual stuff that was discredited everywhere else. So they have another couple of weeks or so of regurgitation. I didn't even bother posting. It would only be cut-and-paste of what I've posted here and it would and any arguments would be ignored like here too. The Boards Gazpacho are against them apparently. Don't worry, in another couple of weeks there will be some new people popping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not only a dangerous lie but an example of how flawed Trump and his supporters view of the separation of powers actually is and a very clear indication of just how much political & executive control was exerted over the Judicial branch by Trump' WH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This really has the feeling of being much more serious than anything else Trump has faced.

For a start, he isn't POTUS and isn't pretty much immune from removal. There is no doubt that the Russia report would have led to issues had he not been POTUS.

Second, this is not getting one over the libs, teaching Nato a lesson or doing anything that can even be twisted to be in US favour. This is clearly something Trump did purely for himself. No one can, or indeed has, tried to argue that Trump was doing anything but for himself.

Thirdly, Trump has successfully latched on to the gun-loving, military-obsessed, fervent patriot. This flys directly in the face of that. This put state secrets, secrets that could give US enemies the advantage, in the open.

His core support won't budge, at least not vocally, but I think those not fervent support but still willing to put up with him may find this a little difficult to ignore.

And whilst initially the line about no warrant, Biden's political stunt, FBI deep state etc gave them some talking points, as each day passes it gets worse for Trump and the reality even starker.

I wouldn't bet on it, Trump has baffled more attuned political thinkers than me thus far, but this feels different.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Let's see, if he said he was in favour of abortion, he feels the LGBTQ community was discriminated against, immigration should be encouraged and, to top it all off, education and healthcare should be free.

That would send his support from the GOP and his orcs into a nosedive.

As for him getting worse, if he turned out to be Satan and he sat on a throne made from the bones of people he personally murdered, eating babies, his support might go up slightly.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement

I said "realistically". There would be zero point to Trump changing his positions on most of those things, although he could possibly swing free health care and education in the right circumstances. After all, he did say he wanted to make that special antibody therapy for covid free, despite the expense of administering it and no one in his base seemed to take issue.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In terms of his base , if he can spin this as "I'm President , I can do what I want" then they let him away with it.

For his base the line of thinking will be "Well he's still really President so him keeping the documents makes sense for when he takes back control"

Now , if evidence can be brought forward that he actually did something nefarious with the documents then maybe that changes things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Now , if evidence can be brought forward that he actually did something nefarious with the documents then maybe that changes things.

But these are the people who were wearing tshirts saying "Better Russian than Democrat". If Trump sold state secrets to Russia, or even to Saudi, I don't think it would be a major leap for them to approve of whatever they dream up as Trumps reasons for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Stanley 1

Perhaps if he advised that following Ivan's death and burial on one of his golf courses in return for a tax break, he has had discussions with Ivanka and Melania, they are all in agreement, it's now just a timing issue to agree with IRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Its not so much what he could do, he'd want to be caught with a smoking gun in such a way that he couldn't lie his way out of it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know this isn’t about Donald trump exactly but it appears that Wyoming primaries are open meaning that democrats can vote in the republican one tomorrow which may possibly give liz Cheney a chance of winning, although it seems unlikely. I’d love if she did win just to see trump and his allies throw a wobbler.

It still wouldn't matter. If they had video footage of him selling the names of spies to SA or nuclear secrets to Russia, he would claim it was a hoax and his ... fans would believe it. We have already concluded that there is no line he can cross that would dissuade them. Such a following has nothing to do with the GOP and is all about trump and his GQP cronies. It is NOT about politics. trump and the GQP do NOT represent traditional GOP values. MGT stated that herself. So if it is not about politics then it is about the cult of personality. Cult being the operative word. In this thread you find very few blowing their Biden trumpet. This is NOT about Democrats and Republicans. Personally, I think Biden is weak and don't believe they should run him next election.

So this thread, by its very title was NOT about the GOP but about trump (And, by extension, his GQP and their followers). And they do NOT care about politics. They simply care about trump and his agenda against people who wronged him. He has displayed ZERO loyalty to the principles of the GOP and, indeed, called the GOP RINOs. Again, this is NOT about politics. This is about personal gain, personal retribution. If Cruz had a spine or MGT and her buddies had an ounce of empathy in them, trump would turn on them JUST as quickly as he has turned on the GOP. Over the next few days/weeks they may mumble some concerns with the most recent revelations. Purely out of self preservation. NO other reason. And if that happens, he WILL round on them. And all their Machiavellian machinations will be for nought. (And that WOULD be a joy to watch). The ONLY reason he would care about the next election is because he lost the last one and he, as a "person" cannot abide losing. So he will run and, not only to: "Stick it to the Lips" but also to "Stick it to the RINOs"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Her Problem on that front is that outside of her hatred of Trump , she's a pretty awful GOP type so she's not likely to get much in the way of sympathy from the Democrats in Wyoming - The little of them that there are.

Having said that , it'd certainly be a case of "better the devil you know" to vote for her instead of allowing whatever loon is running against her to get in.

make you wonder what she would do if she lost and had nothing to lose before leaving office....

• Advertisement

Oh she's going to lose. His ... fans will see to that. I haven't looked but I assume he has a candidate who's sole policy is that the election was stolen. How am I doing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement