Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

And supposed to be under review. If our lot actually went to the Commission and stated were full that would be taken into consideration. As nowhere does it say you must take in any amount. The devil is in the Details.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, it's one year anyway and then reviewed. I don't think you'll get much traction at present for the "we're full" argument IRL apart from the people venting online. The government has signalled a potential 100,000 refugees so that would be full.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

The Ukrainians next to us had a ball last night, up playing music and drinking, 1 in the morning their kids were still running around.. Looks like students aren't the only ones to enjoy parties MaryAnne 😁

No that's an automatic review after 1 year. Review can be called at anytime by a member state if their position of providing for said Refugees is sustainable. The Directive contains solidarity and no unfair burdens on states. We have grounds on both to call for a review.

The Directive agrees the EU countries will take in refugees. The countries closest to Ukraine have taken in huge numbers and it's natural for some of those numbers to move on elsewhere.

• Advertisement

There's no actual reason for us to do so especially as we have budgeted for bigger numbers. One could see frontline countries propose it for sure but as refugees go further afield that's probably not likely at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

Are they in government provided housing, housing provided by the public or are they in a hotel?

Where in the Budget is space ? We can't house the ones we have. I have An idea on some more space. Ask all the NGOs to work from home and give up their properties to be converted into space for the Refugees. I'm sure that would happen in weeks with no push back.

No its a privately owned area, they were originally built for short term holiday lets until the Ukrainians arrived to stay long term, the government pays the owner similar to the hotel set ups

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

...and the politicians from the country to give up any accomodation they have in Dublin so refugees can use it in the same way that they threw students under a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not sure if Kaiser et al (when talking about government "likes chasing") realise sheer anger there would be in most of the rest of the EU, if we rejected the EU temporary protection directive and expelled Ukrainian refugees as suggested. That's what that quite popular post amounted to. Consequences of that anger, I don't know?

One thing Irish people seem to get upset over, maybe even hard chaws who say govt. is just chasing "likes", is outsiders criticising us harshly, foreigners daring to point out when we're wrong and have completely f-cked up (which they will in spades if govt. did this, and they would be right IMO).

Doesn't happen very often but the (Irish) rage when it does is always quite a sight! Both funny and sad.

That’s amazing. Housing crisis is just for Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,445 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So much irony in that post. Whinging about others apparently being self-entitled, but then moaning that things are too difficult for you. Do you think that things should be a little easier for you? Maybe you even feel entitled to have things a little easier?

Get up off your arse and make your own "luck" and don't be begrudging a few little kids fleeing bombs because you think they'll reduce what handouts are available to you. Stand on your own two feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

I wonder were they given planning for short term tourist let only?

But sure of course. I'm having new problems in my rental and scared of eviction because there is literally nowhere else to go, I'm stressed and moody all the time, I wish I was in a brighter mood to dance and enjoy parties, fair play to them, lucky lot not a care in the world apparently. It was a sunday night so instead I was in bed like a pleb for work today 😏

Don't want to say too much but apparently that's the case

It’s the people who don’t get handouts who are the people who are annoyed. It’s bad enough we have to support our own social welfare class, with free money, free housing and free everything. Now we have to support thousands of people who are coming here to hop on the gravy train and improve their quality of life.

We are taxed to the eyeballs to support a shower of wasters who can’t afford to support themselves. So you go tell all those wasters to stand on their own two feet and not expect the rest of us to provide for them.

Its has to be a general accommodation and cost of living protest .

Nobody needa to expell anybody. The government just needs to stop making Ireland the most attractive option of all for refugees to shop around for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think you meant, improve their chances of not dying in a military assault. I do agree that could be interpreted as improving their quality of life, but that's a bit extreme of an interpretation.

As for reforming our overgenerous welfare and housing systems, go for it. Way too many people on the dole not adding to the economy. But, Ukrainians don't need to die for that to happen, it can happen at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So you know the owner? who are they and why don't you have a word with them if their tenants are preventing you from sleeping?

It's exactly what I would be doing. Although with the thunderstorm last night there could have been a full on rave next to me and I wouldn't have heard it.

I've seen a few posters say they believe they are all fleeing from danger and the whole country is dangerous. If that is the case what is your opinion on those posting on Facebook asking how long they can return to Ukraine before they lose benefits? I seen two so far this morning, one was even looking to return with her kids for two or three weeks. Can't be that bad if she's bringing her children? I'm too tired to get deep into this stuff today but just wanted to hear your take on it? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Were the posts in violation of Facebook rules? If not, she's within her rights. Now, do you know the posts are real, or not from a Putinbot masquerading as a Ukrainian refugee?

I have no problem with Ukrainians fleeing their country trying to build a normal life elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Cars here are too expensive for them. The solution? To travel back to Ukraine, go shopping, buy one and fly back. Have it shipped here, and no VRT required. Guess who is paying for the cars and the shipping?

This is the same government that don't have a great history with maths... Throwing away money hand over fist, while the Ukrainian government are savvy enough to tax the handouts received when they go back. They are going to tax the free money (our tax) and any other 'earnings' while abroad, from the 1st of Jan. We are literally throwing away money that has zero chance of coming back into our economy.

lol, So the next calls will be they cant tax their earnings or some other such tripe. Smart move if you don't want people to Return though. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It wasn’t a question of who’s paying, it was Hamachi’s claim that they are paying the bulk of anyone’s pension, which I was pointing out was not only false, but it has nothing to do with anyone’s right to advocate for public and social policies which they support.

Wouldn’t matter if they were a high flying member of the 50% marginal rate of tax club who imagines they pay the bulk of anyone’s pension while boasting about their ability to fund their children’s education privately and expecting anyone who isn’t them to be thankful for their ability to toot their own horn while pretending they care about anyone else but themselves and those people who share their opinions of themselves, or not.

In any case, rather than the annual fearmongering articles in the media about the pensions crisis, I’d suggest anyone who is actually interested in learning about how pensions are funded and public and social policies relating to pensions and so on, could do worse than reading the 2021 report from the Pensions Commission -

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/200480/564ea175-28b2-417d-aa9b-3f1750225310.pdf

Good thing for the future of Irish society that Hamachi’s tooting of their own horn is just silly, and of no value whatsoever when it comes to determining public and social policies which relate to society as a whole, as opposed to the idea that they are based upon anyone one individuals ideas based upon their contribution to the Exchequer.

What do Facebook rules have to do with refugees coming to Ireland?

Putinbots making false posts, whew that's a new one on me 😁 even if that were true, previous posts by Irish media have reported stories where these people have returned to Ukraine, masquerading as sob stories, Irish media are hardly 'putinbots'?

It didn't really answer my question, you seem sure they are all fleeing danger but I asked what do you think of them returning to this danger zone for breaks away? Again one Irish media report was a woman back for a Hen do.

"I have no problem with Ukrainians fleeing their country trying to build a normal life elsewhere." Does that include those 'fleeing' under false pretences like those above, who seem very unafraid to risk being blown to bits so they can return for a party?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It’s gratifying to know that I get to live rent-free in your head ‘Jack’.

However, as I already outlined, your verbose posts are intensely boring and I have no desire to engage with your turgid essays any further.

So perhaps you might consider refraining from referencing my family and I?

Some people seem to have a problem with folks that get up and work hard everyday.

What , you want them to work less?

What exactly DO you want us to do...regular PaYE taxpayers?

How long would the show keep on the road? Who is going to pay for social welfare increases.....the infrastructure....the refugees?

Where is all the tax tevenue going to come from?

You know higher earners pay most of the tax already, right?

It sure is a topsy turvy world these guys live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

Wrong Donald, I'm not a college student, I was speaking on behalf of students with the " my digs" reference. I am gainfully employed (who I work for is the ironic part) and support myself 100%. I will have college age going kids in the near future. I don't feel the need to elaborate any further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement