Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 southofthelee

Small scale geo perspective:

There is zero data to suggest a "softening" of the residential property market in Cork City and Suburbs.

The demand is insane. Rents are still more than equivalent mortgage repayments - and there is no-where to rent to boot.

Anyone who believes there will be a "crash" in the next three years is kidding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

This is what people said in early 2007 and never thought what could happen.

Maybe you're correct, we all don't know. The Irish have a habit and tendency of not wanting to see any warning signs on the property market.

However, I'd say, the current situation is "unhealthy" to a certain extent.

If say in Dublin, one is expected to pay 1200 to 1400 Euros a month for just a room if one is lucky to even be considered, with the only luxury an en-suite, anybody smart would consider emigrating. This price tag gets you a 2 bedroom apartment in any major city in Germany like Munich or Frankfurt, or a one bedroom in Paris or London, yours not sharing with anybody. There are also other universities elsewhere and other jobs elsewhere and public transport slightly more reliable than Dublin bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

then there is also the question of the reaction of the construction industry. Are they going to build less in order to keep supply low? This will most likely be the only measure to keep prices from dropping to much, I'd say.

Even if prices fall, the cost of construction doesn't (certainly not to the same extent). If prices collapse, builders won't build because it's uneconomical, not to limit supply.

It might be that way. However something certainly is off.

You look over to Manchester and see new built after new built, high rise after high rise which wasn't there a while ago, even an airport connected to a rail service, and you wonder, why this isn't happening in Dublin.

Economically, purely from data interpretation, Dublin seems stronger still. However some things apparently won't happen. One only asks why.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Population of Manchester is twice that of Dublin. I suppose that would have nothing to do with it

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

You're a bit all over the place here.

The rail link to the airport has nothing to do with the housing market. Whether prices are rising by 20% or falling by 50%, there isn't a train.

There have been lots of proposals for high rises in Dublin. They've run afoul of planning rather than demand.

The market may soften, especially if interest rates keep going up, but none of these things is an indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

Not a hope of a crash.

Too much cash in the system.

Too much demand, too little supply.

Should China economic difficulty, there is no obvious destination for emigration as a pressure release valve.

Not a hope of a crash.

I know, it's a discussion which easily goes into the "what's this got to do with that".

However one would expect a certain infrastructure, if one is spending a bit of cash on a property investment.

I recently took a look at Canada, notably Toronto. Market was red hot, demand high, sales cycles short, even sometimes one million over asking for a house. Little supply, massive demand, easy money around, low interest rates. Now things changed massively and are about to change.

Blindness is the basis of the beginning of any downturn in the market. What's the one got to do with the other, here we're seeing none of that of other cities and countries.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭OEP

I think people are scarred by the last crash and often confuse a downturn with a crash. I could definitely see a softening, as the title suggests, or a small correction (5 - 10%) but a crash like 2008 - not currently as it isn't a credit driven bubble like before. Unless a major geopolitical event takes place, but it's difficult to predict such things!

I took a look at Canada too, their property market never dipped after the 2008 global meltdown and it went through the roof during Covid. Whereas we're only just getting back to 2007 levels now, prices there are about 2.5 times what they were in 2007. There is enormous scope for a correction there but I'm not sure how relevant it is here.

Again, the market may slow down or shrink but it will be the ECB and/or war in Ukraine that does it, none of this other stuff is relevant to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The last crash was a financial meltdown and a credit crunch. That may happen again, who knows with the banking sector. But the amount of pent up demand and lack of supply coupled with massive inflation in building costs and a shortage of skilled labour in the construction industry says to me the conditions are not there for a crash. But I do think the pace of increase will stop, it just becomes an affordability issue very soon. However, there are lots of people out there making lots of money and many others cash rich so what is for sale is snapped up.

Investors leaving the market is obviously a boost to supply but I haven't seen any figures as to the scale of this.

There are more houses for sale in the 4 local towns I look at buying in. I am a potential trader upper, just looking at options for now but there's defo more supply in all towns (about 20% up on what it was earlier this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Investors leaving the market causes rental shortages and reduces occupancy rates making matter worse no matter what way you look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Construction slowing significantly

"The pace of reduction in housing activity accelerated sharply over the month"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

any link to the actual report? How does this relate to any other year, is it cyclical

No it's not cyclical. There is evidence that builders providers have reduced staff hours/ put them on reduced weeks.

It was obvious that refurbishment, extensions and one off housing had stopped to a large extend. There was evidence as well that developers were reducing new starts.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Construction is fecked again. What a surprise.

Running out of buyers at these prices. Add in interest rate rises and its inevitable that prices are heading for a crash.

How are prices heading for a crash. No houses being build. Unless we see a huge drop in building supplies prices we will not see any houses build. Even then construction may switch to smaller projects such as extensions, refurbishments and insulation upgrades.

There may be a 10ish% correction but if any more than that builders will just not build. No new supply could actually put upward pressure on prices of existing stock

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Definitely need a significant vacant site tax brought in as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

If it encourages the activation of some of the tens of thousands of permitted developments not yet started, then yes. Or alternatively, if it forces speculative applicants to sell the land with permission at a reduced price that could improve the economics of development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

vacant site tax wont do much unless its under revenues remit. councils 'collecting' it is a waste of time

• Advertisement

Yes. The latter is a big problem. Developers and speculators outbid each other stupid money for sites and then feel entitled to make X% margin on top of it regardless of the market or practicalities.

We saw in the last boom with the "Baron of Ballsbridge" paying 55m an acre for a site. They just keep outbidding each other and inflating the market and try to lump it onto the end consumer.

If they buy zoned land, they should not be entitled to sit on it until the market gives them what they demand. What adds most value to the land is the zoning. That zoning is a gift of administrators and planners (and the State) rather than an inherent characteristic of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

cant see it. price of building has risen a lot ove the last 12 months, all new builds coming on market now will have cost 15-20k or so more than what they would have cost in 2021. not sure why builders would need to take a hit when there is still huge demand.

I agree. Councils would be a waste of time.

But it could be done by revenue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Interest rates will cool the market for sure, but so long as we have a supply problem then high prices will persist stubbornly. I think we'd need to see continued increase in housing output coupled with lower demand to really bring down prices in any meaningful way.

If supply trends downwards, as is seemingly starting to happen, then we'll have a cohort of people chasing a dwindling market, and very high earners will continue to inflate the market as they outbid themselves and lower earners. Property prices will not crash if supply collapses, unless the economy was to implode entirely and suppress demand from higher earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There already is a Vacant Site Levy.

It is not effective.

Building materials will fall in price with recessions all over Europe and the world.

Timber has fallen 62% in North America.

https://fortune.com/2022/08/07/lumber-prices-lumber-bubble-when-to-expect-the-lowest-wood-prices/

It is rarely enforced. It exists almost in name only. It would not be difficult to have a tax on zoned land. If you don't want to pay the tax, then you can submit proposals to have the land rezoned back to agricultural or green belt or similar.

You could have a reasonable grace period of a waiver for say X years after the zoning.

Very simple system to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

what i mean is people arent starting extensions in december, residential building has always been cyclical, without seeing other reports it is hard to take much from the one off report

extensions attic conversions etc have been off the charts here recently, that work is finite and being driven by the inability to move to a bigger house, its also summer work, dies off at the end of the summer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

BNP Paribas publish their reports on their website, it should be available soon for more in depth analysis.

Their reports have been showing a slowdown since the start of the summer so there is a trend emerging. You're right, construction can be cyclical - but you'd expect to see activity accelerate over the summer months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement