Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling Car with no NCT?

Options
  • 15-08-2022 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi

I'm selling my mother's car as she is getting an EV. Unfortunately I've just found out that she didnt get her NCT done last year because of Covid. Ive just checked and next NCT appt is January!

Car is very low mileage and in perfect nick.

Is there any other way I can demonstrate roadworthiness independently to a potential buyer, bar getting an NCT? For example, independent mechanic, AA check, pre-NCT check etc?

Thanks

Conor

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Best advice is give the NCT a ring & get it tested alot sooner (DON'T rely on the booking online when it's actually already expired!)

Indepentant test won't be worth anything in terms of resale value. NCT is legal requirement so will carry more weight on reselling.

Of course this all depends on the car in question on what it's actually worth after getting it through the NCT, no car details in OP!

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Ditto - just get the NCT.

You won't get anything like the full value of the car with no NCT.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not having a NCT brings the fear of the unknown and risk to a buyer. It makes them think that the seller is hiding something and isn't confident it will pass. Some buyers who know their beens of course won't be put off if the car is priced accordingly.

Forget about pre nct inspections, they are just a license to print whataboutery money imo. If you can get a canelled NCT slot then it's best get it NCT'd as it will mean less hassle selling it and more money in your pocket. If you just want the car gone then sell it as is but price it accordinly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Conor.d2

Thanks, can you call them and book? I understood it was online booking only

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can call them and get put on the cancellation waiting list.

You can also check online for available slots every night around 10 or 11 pm, that is usually when they release cancelled appointments daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

This worked for me, think it was about midnight I got a slot within a week. Try other test centres too.

Advertisement