Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

My wife pre-ordered the 6a, it just shipped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've have the phone just over a week now and the only issue I'm encountering is that it's often freezing with a few lines of scrambled pixels or randomly restarting. Not sure if this is a hardware issue and I should look at replacing or whether it's a software issue that will resolve itself over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭TheRona

That doesn't sound normal, and software issues rarely resolve themselves....unless it's a known bug. Are you running stock firmware, or beta? Are you running a custom launcher?

Factory reset solves most issues, then it's just a case of figuring out what it was in your setup that was causing the issue.

Stock firmware, updated to latest release and after a week of effort I've finally got my device setup as desired so the idea of a factory reset is concerning but if there's an underlying issue (hardware or software) then it's best getting it resolved right now.

What's the best way to speed up device setup these days? Does Google One help? Or should I do a factory reset and use my phone with minimal additional changes to begin with.

One thing I am definitely doing is moving away from Google Authenticator to a cloud based Authenticator as I'm not going through that mess ever again.

The 6a for the missus arrived today and I've set it up for her. Lovely phone. I'll get a right play with it later when she puts it down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

Anyone use their pixel 6/pro in the UK with an esim? Heading there for a week and roaming with 48 months is terrible. Wouldn't mind doing a 1 month pay as you go esim if there's anything available?

Cheers,

Mick

I was in the States in June and used an Airalo 30 day eSim on my 4a 5g. Give me a pm of you need a referral discount

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobillium.airalo

I came here to post that the Google offer $300 trade in for 4a 5g and free pixel buds for 6a would be a no brainer for me if they offered it here

Cheers I can't pm you for some reason but if you have a code maybe you could send it to me?

Had a Vodafone eSIM and 48 normal SIM in my phone when I went to the UK earlier this year. Switched between the two, didn't find one any better than the other, tbh. Vodafone was decent enough, but also had no issues with 48. Guess it depends where you go.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Ryath

I use 48 as my main sim and have a vodafone esim that I usually have no credit on. Was in the UK last month but couldn't get 48 working no mater what I tried. Topped up the vodafone sim and it worked perfectly. Kids phones android and apple both had issues initially but was able to fix theirs by manualy setting network in SIM toolkit a menu that's been deactivated on the Pixel. Could not find anyway around it.

For all intents and purposes, they're the same thing. From memory of my time Android modding, some ROMs/carriers would call it 4G, others would call it LTE. I can't remember what I was getting over there, but I was expecting Vodafone to me amazing. I actually got the eSIM sorted for that trip, and was a bit disappointed in the end. I was down around the Worthing/Brighton area, so no doubt could be different in other places.

The only place I had issues roaming on 48 was Italy, but got it working by switching in SIM toolkit. No issues on 48 for me or any family members in the UK.

Did you not figure out why you don't have your SIM toolkit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,274 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Download the latest update and the problem I'd had persists.

If I'm listening to music/podcast/audiobook with Bluetooth headphones and then take a call, when the call is over the connection with the headphones is still there, but the phone won't stream. I have to restart the phone

Just tested, don't have this issue, with the headphones I'd use for running. I do get a similar issue with my Bose headphones, where it doesn't switch between sources like it should. I think that's an issue with Bose more than anything, though.

Yeah, my Bose headphones never worked with my old pixel and don't with my recently purchased pixel 6.

It can be a nightmare to pair them, for some reason. I think my QC35's were much worse for it than my QC45's. I don't generally have an issue, though. I use them all the time with my phone and laptop. It's just occasionally when I try to watch something on my phone and there's no volume, and a reboot of the phone is the only thing that sorts it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Ryath

It seems to be SIM card dependent. My kids SIMS are from a batch I ordered for referrals where as mine was one I ordered originally. Must sort a replacement SIM from them to see if it fixes it.

• Advertisement

There's definitely some connection issues with my QC35's. In saying that, when I say they don't work I just mean the microphone doesn't work when I receive a call. If I then turn off my headphones the call won't default to my phone. Probably something I could resolve but never did. Was somewhat surprised to encounter the same issue after updating to the pixel 6 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Hi, can anyone advise if they bought a Pixel 6 off Vodafone Ireland recently was it unlocked? Looking to use it's dual sim capabilities with a UK sim also. Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You can't use two physical SIM cards, it's one physical and one e-SIM. The e-SIM can be for anywhere, I have a South African one on mine ready to be activated when I get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭wassie

Haven't bought the 6 from VF, but did buy previous models which definitely were. My understanding is all Pixels purchased there are unlocked.

Also no issue with dual Sim for UK - if you don't know the 2nd sim slot is an e-sim.

VF are the only Irish provider to offer am e-sim AFAIK atm, so that's gives you flixability which provider you use a physical sim with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I used 5G for the first time over the weekend. Just me or does it absolutely demolish the battery?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent car charger? My OnePlus Warp car charger doesn't charge the Pixel6 at all 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rcreedana

Can't say about the 5g but I got this car charger and it does the fast charging for the Pixel through the PD protocol: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09C87RYBL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

I drove to East Europe for a few weeks, and 48 was a nightmare. Every new country, had to select a mobile network manually, luck of the draw if it would connect or not. When the local Vodafone was available, tried to connect to that, successfully in the UK and France.

Then got a local Orange eSim for 4 euro a month, enabled data roaming for another one-off payment of 7 euro for the drive back, and started getting LTE roaming with the (Romanian) Orange esim.

Back in Ireland, before the trip, I NEVER got more than H+ connectivity with the 48 SIM. Since getting back, I see LTE more often than not with 48.

Also lost the SIM Tool Menu app after installing the Orange eSim, but a restart of the phone made it available again.

I think I'll switch from 48 first chance, but wife is on GoMo and had worse connectivity while roaming, so not sure who would be best?

I think those kind of problems are the reality of using an MVNO. I'd say you'd have a lot less problems if you go directly to Vodafone, Eir or 3.

Next time I go into Europe, I'll just put credit on my Vodafone eSIM for my roaming data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Thought this was meant to be US/Can only.

And the call center you were calling had to support it, etc.

Sorry, don't remember it being available in Ireland 🙂

I've a vague recollection of it working while calling Virgin Media....

Also call screening seems to be gone, where the caller gets a message to state your reason for calling and then it gives you the text of whatever they're saying

Edit: call screen still here I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I was hoping to hang on until October to get a pixel 7 (or a pixel 6 on offer) but the current battery on my phone is after dropping off significantly and I think I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a pixel 6 in the next week or two.

Currently looks like my best bet price wise is amazon.de for 550e.... I really hope the price doesn't drop too much when the pixel 7 comes out 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You could get a refurbished phone, I'm picking up an 8Gb Samsung S20 FE. I wanted SD card support and 8Gb minimum so there was very little choice available.

SD card doesn't really have much benefit other than a bit of media storage these days. I've had a fair few of them corrupt on me over the years, so definitely wouldn't use one for storing anything important that isn't backed up to the cloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yeah, it's for local FLAC music files I have on my laptop and server. I sync all my photos and downloads to my server using Syncthing.

It's handy to be able to throw 10s of Gbs of media on a phone without worrying about filling it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭MickH503

Is double tap to wake up the screen not working again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭mossie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm really impressed with the camera on this phone but the general usability can be painful and is a worse experience than OnePlus for me. Wondering if there is any fix for these?

• It seems to get brain-freeze frequently where I'll try to open an app and nothing happens
    • The swipe to go back affects the usability of apps where a button is somewhere on the edge of the screen
    • The battery is not good, especially with 5G enabled

Are things any better on the Android 13 beta?

I dont have any of the first two issues you mention. Im with Eir so dont get 5G, but 5G will chew through battery life regardless of phone due to the higher power requirements.

Camera is getting a new feature in next update by the looks also.

I'm regretting going to beta again. I've gotta stop listening to you guys who says it's rock solid 🤣

The problem I'm having this time is that I'm having issues with Google Drive syncing. I'm a pretty heavy user of Google sheets, and sometimes it can't access files I really need. A reboot solves it, but it's still painful. Didn't have this issue before switching to beta.

• Advertisement

If you need stability why do you keep enrolling in the beta program?

Old habits die hard. I'm an Android modder from way back. Instead of diving in head first these days, I wait for feedback from others. Seems I use my phone differently to most. I imagine most people are worried more about the stability of social media apps, which I don't use ☺️

I find the first thing to break on the betas are banking apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Pixel 6 Pro android 13 is releasing today, has anyone got it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Updating to it now!

It's only 31mb though, might be cos I'm coming in from the beta 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Any idea when the normal Google Pixel 6 will get it?

It's out so probably tomorrow if it's not already available. Mine is, 4a 5g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Not available here. Says I'm up to date on android 12.

Check again in a few hours, mine wasn't available at 6 but it's there now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Tried a von a few times but no joy . Heads up, when you go to Android 13, there is no way to roll back to 12

Advertisement