Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 European Athletics Championships, Munich

Options
  • 11-08-2022 2:47pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Back after a four year hiatus!

Action starts on Monday, August 15th and runs throughout the week until Sunday, August 21st.

Entry lists can be found here

Lots of Irish taking part, hopefully we can bag a medal or two. RTE coverage seems pretty comprehensive, both morning and evening sessions will be broadcast on RTE 2. BBC are also offering coverage.

Here's to a great championships!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mawdsley, Healy and Adeleke will be the trio in the 400m whilst Sophie Becker intends to run the 4x400m only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Looking at the SBs, Adeleke is ranked 4th in 200m but only 6th in the 400m (and most think 400m is her best event). I know she’s still ran less than 10 times at 400m too

Other Irish with top 8 season bests

Chris O’Donnell 5th

Mark English 8th

Hiko Tonaso 8th

Louise Shanahan 6th

Sarah Healy 5th

mageean’s PB is 4th quickest in the 1,500m too

I know seasons bests aren’t everything. Just posting for info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I'd love to see Phil Healy improve her PB of 51.50 here. She's run 51.66 indoors. This suggests to me that she can get down to low 51.xx outdoors. Would really like to see her get the most out of her talent on this stage.

I think that Sharlene Mawdsley can improve on her 51.70 PB too. She's a great relay runner but seems to suffer from a lack of confidence in the individual event.

It's really great to see Ireland with such a crop of talented 400m women. In addition to Adeleke, Healy, Mawdsley, and Becker, all of whom have run either 50.xx or 51.xx, there is also Cliodhna Manning and Roisin Harrison, who have run mid-52.xx. That's incredible depth for a small population. Compare that with the Netherlands, who have two superstars in Femke Bol and Lieke Klaver, but are really struggling to round out the rest of their relay squad.

I really think our national record could be obliterated if they’re all fit and healthy. It’s 3:27.48 (from the 2011 world champs)

Probably need to run 3:24 or so be in with a medal shout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I like this feature of the Championships' website which allows you to check to see when athletes from your nation are competing. Gives you the event and times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 phelimcas

Agree great depth with all our best athletes available for the relay. Every chance of an Irish record.

Excited that we have different athletes in the men's track events from 100 to 10,000 and great opportunities for younger athletes to gain valuable experience.

Most important thing is to have competitive performances over multiple events which I think is very likely.

Is Adeleke not contesting the 400m heats and contesting only the 4x400? I don't see her name listed for Monday.

Dunno what's going on there. Is that timetable incomplete? How can there only be 3 Heats followed by 3 Semi Finals?

She's down on the entry list for the 200m, 400m and 4x400m.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

No Chris O' Donnell in the men's 400m either it seems?

Thought I was going mad and there'd been a load of unannounced withdrawals, but after checking the Berlin 2018 Wikipedia page it seems most of that year's fastest European performers were given a bye to the SF's in the sprint events, so I'm guessing this year must be the case this year also. Adeleke is the 6th fastest in Europe this year, O' Donnell the 8th.

• Advertisement

Yeah, happens in a few events. Adeleke and O’Donnell are straight through to the semis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great run from Olatunde to win his heat in the 100m. 10.19 was the fastest of the qualifiers from the heats, though obviously there will be a number of faster seeded runners. Only 100th off the Irish record and he should be competitive in the semifinals if he can run another time like that.

McCormack going well in the marathon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

7th place for McCormack. Fantastic race to watch.

Some finish in the men's marathon from Richard Ringer (GER), unbelievable. Two super races to watch this morning.

Ah right, that would explain it.

They have a similar system in amateur boxing - the higher ranked ones are given a bye in the early rounds.

Not really tbh. Only if the numbers dictate. If there’s 32 entries in boxing they’re all in the last 32. They might have seeds but if there’s 9 byes in the first round and 4 seeds, the other 5 are drawn at random

The athletics one is really weird. Only a handful of runners knocked out this morning

Olatunde in the semi with Lamont Jacobs. Zeze of France has gone under 10s too

looks like after today Israel has the 6th best season best so up against it (as we all knew). An Irish record would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Excellent marathon races, no sure winner until the last 500m in the womens' and the Ringer's sprint finish to take the men's win in the last 20m was fantastic to watch. McCormack did really well to hold on in the last 5k after the pace increased, half expected her to drop way back but finished strong only 50 sec back from the winner - 7 women within 50 secs tells it all as to how competitive it was.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Bit ridiculous no? Of the 18 athletes who finished the heats, only 8 were knocked out. Things should get more interesting in the SFs tomorrow at least.

McCormack was in 9th when we last saw her so I'd say she really rallied, she's got true grit not to fall away completely, she must have been so disappointed when she fell off the lead pack. It was a great championship race, proper racing, as was the mens.

• Advertisement

Very disappointing performance from Phil Healy in the 400m womens heats.

Great marathon races this morning, so much chopping and changing of the medal positions for the women's race, and then an incredible sprint finish to complete the men's race!

Terrible race for Phil Healy there, badly run out of it.

She seemed absolutely fine in the first 200m but then became strangely tired and leggy in the home straight. Could be any number of reasons, I suppose anyone is entitled to an off day.

Poor evening for 3 of the 4 Irish. Coscoran did well to get out of the inside and make the final

Hoping it's another gold for Eilish here. Assuming she's not too fatigued from Commonwealths/Worlds then she's absolutely the favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

RTE coverage practically unwatchable with all the ad breaks. Thank the lord for the BBC and VPN's.

Kenya the champion's of Europe again! Didn't see that coming from Can, thought her best was behind her. Although she's still only 25, thought she was older.

Another silver medal for Eilish! Great result. Hope she runs the 5k, but she must be very tired.

Eilish is a great role model for kids - she's super consistent and always runs her heart out.

Interesting second post on Boards 😏 Not sure you're posting in good faith, but still important to point out that Adeleke and Olatunde are both born and raised in Ireland.

• Advertisement

First of all, your reply is nothing to do with my post

Second of all, piss off

Advertisement