Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good areas to Practice Driving in Tralee (Or surroundings)

• 08-07-2022 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi lads,

As the title says, looking for good recommendations on areas that are quiet and good for practicing driving.

Im not from Kerry just happen to be learning down here since I moved here, so I dont really know of big open spaces or estates with lots of places to go around in circles to practice cornering.

Im in Tralee town so the town is always go go go unless its before 7am and after 11pm

Places and idea of quiet times would be most helpful! I will go anywhere if its a good spot and quiet enough so doesnt have to be just outside the town.

TIA - Reb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭barryribs

I don't think you should be worrying about driving in circles or cornering, I would suggest driving around town first at night, then start earlier when you get more confidence. Make sure that the fully licensed driver with you knows the roads. You can practice your parallel parking in any of the estates, Ard Charraig or Lee dale were used when I was learning.

The standard of driving and adherence to the rules of the road in the town are, in my experience, nothing short of awful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

If you are getting lessons in Tralee, ask the instructor to bring you to some areas that you can practice in yourself in your own time. They would know the best places to go. Roads are always going to be somewhat busy in Tralee, but always better in the evening time. If you need to practice parking etc, then maybe go into a carpark or an estate. I used to practice in carparks in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rebhanqui

Thanks lads.

My licensed driver that has to come with its quite afraid being in the car even when its quiet around town. Im 6 lessons in now and got them in the car to go through town for the first time today. I don't have anyone else down here so will try night time and car parks again until I'm a bit more coordinated and so I don't give my only sponsor a heart attack.

They driving in town is very chaotic with people up my arse and beeping at me, kids on bikes and scooters with death wishes and pedestrians are worse so far.. me nerves..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭mrskinner

Any driving range nearby? Golf.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Different type of driving! He's talking about driving a car!

There's a driving range out in the Kerries Golf Range | Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭hanamandiol

i trained my guys on the old roads in Ballymac. After railway bridge on castleisland road turn left ,then right.Good quiet road for car control,gear control and turning. Also used old Killarney road ar gortatlae for hill starts [right after overpass and right again.Then used Manor West[,Soundstore end] after 6 for parking,reversing,manouvering'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

If you are a complete beginner, Kilcummin beach in brandon bay when the tide is out is ideal. You can drive onto the beach and there is a vast area of hardpacked sand and nobody for miles. It's perfect for learning to take off in first gear etc without the worry of any traffic around you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I live in Ballymac and to be honest it's lethal around there lately. Lots of narrow roads with blind bends and an over supply of boy racers who don't take into account that they could meet an oncoming car on a bend. I was in a head-on collision with one of them near Clogher village 2 years ago. Only for the fact I was driving with enough caution for the 2 of us, I'd have been killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

The back of Mr price would suit what your looking to do

They have closed that off after hours now. New gate installed by Soundstore so I don't think it can be accessed in evenings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement