Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Base price

There is a extensive grazing action that pays €200/ha. The land cannot get more that 40 units of chemical N, cannot be topped between the 15th March and the 1st of July, rushes can be controlled by weed licking or topping but no more than 50% of the land in any one year.

If you click on the screenshot that I put up a few post ago you can read more.

Edit to add screenshot -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭cute geoge

My question could i avail of this on 15 ha of my farm and farm the other 20 ha more intensely like stocking 2.5 livestock /hectare

Don't know TBH from the level of information that I've read online and in the IFJ. I think that is a question that you need to ask your advisor or wait until more detailed information becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,458 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

With all of these schemes you will have to get an Agri advisor out and go through the options. You then add in the barn owl box , LESS, a bit of hedging or fencing of a water body etc. Never think you will get to 5-7k without serious compromise to your farming activity.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭mayota

'Furthermore, the maximum permitted stocking rate has also been reduced from 1.5 units per hectare to 1.4; while the minimum stocking rate has also dropped, from 0.15 units per hectare to just 0.1 units. Anyone maintaining a stocking ratio outside these figures will not be eligible to participate in the scheme.'

This is an extract from the AgriDirect article, does this mean we need to be 1.4 or under to be eligible for ACRES?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

That’s basically a cow and spring born calf per ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Any thoughts of the Tree belt around a farmshed...ammonia...plant .5 ha around a shed...2.5k a year?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Most farm yards are near the farmhouse. 0.5 HA is 1.25 acres it a fair skelp of land around the houses

Slava Ukrainii

As well as what Bass said above you also have to consider shading and leaves blocking gutters in the Autumn/Winter. There used to be a line of young trees growing at the back of a shed and the gutters were always getting blocked which caused them to overflow and allow the water seep in under the walls. We got them cut back to below the gutters and it has made a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Think it has to be pine tree plantation as well. For the thickness and winter ammonia soakage.

One would have to have it back from the shed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Barn Owl measure looks good for those already hosting or planning to attract these farmers friends

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭leoch

How much does it pay birdnuts

36.48/ unit, max two units. However all the bird and bat boxes are gone as are the bee boxes and the sand for the bees.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭cute geoge

So you only get 70 euro grant for the trouble of a puting up a bird box that just a waste of time in my book.

I really like the 200 euro for 10 hecrares extensive grazing anything else wothwhile considering

Its an annual payment similar to the bird/ bat/bee boxes in Glas

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

If you did manage to get a barn owl they are supposed to be good for vermin control.

It shouldn't be too much trouble to put one up. I expect you'll be able to buy ones ready made too like the bird and bat boxes.

I expect you'll have to pay the €35 or maybe more for one but you should be in profit for your efforts after year 1.

Wild bird cover looks worth considering, after that depending on your farm maybe coppicing hedges or planting new hedge to fill in gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

To me the most lucrative measure appears to be rare breeds: 200+75 per lu to 20 lu.

That's 5 and a half pa to have about 12 Dexters plus bull and calves.

Money for jam for any Suckler man on marginal land.

Dexter calf should be worth 350 to 450 min - far far more if high stars. Add 275 and you've 650+ average with a cow that eats about half as much as a limo.

Should make Dexters, Moiled, Droimeanns and Kerry's dear to buy for the next few years.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Silverdream

You can cross breed them with a Charolais or Limousin etc for a higher value Weanling and still collect the rare bred payment for the mother. Only Caveat is you really need a proven easy calving bull as them trad breeds are very small, plus the Weanlings can still be small but at least they are worth more than Goats. So question is it worth forgoing the reduction in Weanling Value for the €200 payment off the cow. I know a well bred crossbred continental Weanling could be as much as €1000 more than a rare breed

Chasing payments for payments sake is one way to ruin. Good calves from continental cattle ate making 2.5-3/ kg. A 300 -350 kg weanling making 850-1100 euro

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I wouldn't cross Dexters, I'd breed the best in their own breed. I know a lad who's only at them 3 years and he sold two bull calves for 1k each last year.

A 26 to 28 month steer'll make 8 to 900 on the hoof and about 11 to 1300 if QA going to Larry through the scheme.

He's cost very little if you've enough rough ground to run him across.

Heifers or cows can hardly be bought at the moment.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Ordinarily I'd agree. Yes.

Plenty of Suckler lads selling their calves for between 550 and 700 though. They aren't magically going to start producing 1000 euro weanlings with or without payment, and to do it on the land they have would require levels of meal/husbandry/cost that they'll never put into it anyway.

The harsh reality for those of us on poor land is that like it or not, we are paper farmers now. I tried the other way the last 7 years, driving numbers and quality, and all I had out of it was bigger bills in the co-op.

Its disgusting, - yes, but at some point sanity, family and simple financial return has to rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The more I think about it, I'm not going to apply. The value of the payment is being eroded by inflation. Food prices are on the path towards their true value. Coupled with a bulging world population, demand is going to be steady and rising. Chasing payments while reducing production by even greater level is not going to be profitable. We have 40% more euros floating around due to quantitive easing. This coupled with the oil price, and the Ukraine war being the trigger to start this we are only at the start of this journey. Long term inflation is a means of transfering wealth and capital towards younger people.

Fixed income in an inflationary environment, without being able to fix your costs, is a recipe for disaster. Oh wait I have seen it this year on Irish farms, with fixed milk contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

ill need some kind of advisor for this which I don’t have…. What’s the best route to go down…. A private advisor or Teagasc? I’d still like to be in control of doing my own BPS and what not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

Private all the way (had bad experience with lazy Teagasc guy). Some good guys in Teagasc but there is no accountability so the many useless articles are left in place until they are 66.

Where as private guy only gets paid by customer if he is a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Is there demand for Dexter cattle from butchers.

Wouldn't mind getting a few for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm kind of thinking like that too but I'm in two minds

If your inputs are going up...ahead of the payback when you sell your produce it could be a good thing scaling back a bit....

But then her more that do that the higher the price paid for less produce.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. This time next year Rodney, we will be millionaires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Following the crowd is going something I don't like. We can only control what we can inside our gates and being flexible is the key. Looking at what some of the progressive organic farmers are doing and it would give you food for though of what one could implement. I'm serious consider some red clover and combicrop. This helps to give me control over my main cost

For most beef farmers the key is making the best quality silage you can and early turnout of stock. This takes a bit of courage and is easy to implement. Protein and energy costs in the winter diet is something we have been relying on from the boat. I'm amazed that the inclusion of red clover and possible whole cropping has been overlooked in the acres scheme. This prevents carbon leakage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Watercourse had to be on NPWS maps to qualify for GLAS as I found out afterwards. Had one stuck in for fencing that wasn't marked and was cut for it. I imagine same rules apply here

Advertisement