Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

No I work 40 hrs plus and I'm not going to allow you to have me thread banned. I'm hitting the snooze button on you. Adios.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,445 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't know what the tangent is going off on. The poster was speaking on behalf of regular taxpayers and I only pointed out that some Ukrainians have probably been paying tax more regularly than they have as they have stated previously that they are just home to Ireland after living abroad for years and earning a lot of money.

I've no problem with them doing that or coming back. As I said, I was just pointing out that some of the Ukrainians have probably being paying tax more regularly given they might be here and paying since before that poster returned

Well then, I'm sure that you would agree that 30 hours is not normally considered to be a full time job and would be thought of as "part-time".

Although I fail to see the relevance of this to Ukrainian refugees. So I don't quite get why ye are going on about it other than ye just want to vent and argue with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Nobody gives two shites.

A refugee costs up to 50k per annum for room, board, social welfare .

Hence 1 billion cost to the state just for the current numbers , 3 billion if numbers increase. Of course some businesses are RAKING it in to their own benefit.

Meanwhile enjoy your lack of healthcare ...school places....a place to stay......Irish citizens and Irish residents and those of you paying up to 50% tax for your 'privileges'.....

Its all about balance but this govt just puts two fingers up at us.

I would have thought it was more. Not so bad so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

If the poster is in full-time employment they are paying tax. I have No idea what the Ukrainians are paying. But I do know you can only work so much and receive the full SW rate. So that would exclude those that do that from the tax net.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The government originally estimated up to €36k per year. The 11 I am hosting will be costing a hell of a lot less than that

It was only a comment to that poster so that they could step back and think about their perspective. Most Ukrainians wouldn't want to be here but they are fleeing a war

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Time to take that advice above and put the toupee on ignore methinks. I'm not interested in interacting anymore with you. I got better things to do.

• Advertisement

Is that 36k then for the ones they are providing for, or an average across all including those self-sufficient or being looked after by the likes of yourself?

It's actually not very much at all if people compare it all the indirect money spent on everyone who lives here anyway.

And definitely a lot cheaper than building bombs or putting boots on the ground over there

Wait Taxpayers are getting subsidised to the tune of 36k ? That's a new one to me.

I never said the taxpayer gets subsidised to the tune of exactly 36k

But what do you think the cost is for running everything in the State? Hospitals, roads, Guards, teachers, universities, social welfare, prisons and so on and so on.

Government budget for last year was 87.6 billion. That's about 17,500 average across every man, woman and child.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119477028#Comment_119477028 There was an error displaying this embed.

Rubbish. You've posted a lot of opinions... You've been called on to provide evidence for those opinions which you tend to ignore.

This isn't about "likes". This is about appreciating what Ireland is going through, and honestly, I would see you as a firm apologist for the government and their policies (while downplaying the stresses being caused by the Ukrainian situation.. for Irish people).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Ah so no one is getting subsidised. You pay tax if in employment and receive services. That must be unique to Ireland I guess ? What happens in the rest of the EU some kind of barter system 🤔

You interjected with the word subsidised. It was not in the original point I made which was:

It's actually not very much at all if people compare it all the indirect money spent on everyone who lives here anyway.

It is a funny "debating" style you have if you inject words that another person didn't say and then attack those words yourself

No No. Indirect the way it was phrased would be a subsidy. Otherwise you would have to pay the services yourself. So It can't be said that it's not what was ment. Ofc most people know it's not a subsidy. As that would be ludicrous. So again bringing up the 36k odd has no relevance As no tax payer is receiving that.

The relevance is that people think "They are costing us 36k" and comparing that 36k with their disposable income. But it's not that. It is the additional cost of having them here. The budget to keep an average Ukrainian refugee here should be compared with the average per person budget spent on running the State.

Yes it is higher, but that would be to be expected surely. It is an unplanned and emergency situation. It's not like 100 times higher or even 10 times higher.

Seems odd though if there is a cost to running the state Why were there complaints about someone only back and paying little tax ? I mean that's odd. I have no idea what individual taxpayers receive back. Most in the middle would not have Medical cards. Would not receive any income support. The list goes on. Paying for privet healthcare would make more sense with no medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

We have the third highest amount of Ukrainians per capita in the EU. We don't have the spaces for them. It is not an EU directive to take that many. If we have a particularly bad October, November etc., and they are not out of those tents, what is going to happen?

It is estimated to be between €30k - €60k per refugee per annum, but that will fluctuate with budgets (if there are any caps on it) and the amount coming in (if there aren't any caps on them). If the budget is capped, then the lower it costs for each Refugee will probably mean that we are taking more in.

"We" have also pledged to take another 1,700 from Moldova at our expense. Why they keep putting us forward to take in all these extra refugees when it is clear we can't take them in is baffling.

• Advertisement

Suckit, being confident about made up stats you make up does not make them correct. You shouldn't be spreading such fallacies.

Ireland isn't even in the top ten per capita in the EU.

Regardless of what outrage you read on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I think Ukrainians are the most welcome of refugees in Ireland because we can more easily relate to their situation.

Our tolerance of Russians has gone through the floor though.

Nothing read on Facebook (I'm not on it, can't view, nor have the desire to), nor made up. But I did see the way you avoided acknowledging the directive does not require us to take in as many as we are.

Not knowing the facts and claiming they are wrong or facebook outrage doesn't make them wrong.

If we take into account the number of people accepted in relation to the number of their own population, the largest share of Ukrainians was accepted by Poland (1.6 per thousand of its population), Latvia (1.5 per thousand of its population), Ireland (1.4 per thousand) and Lithuania (1.3 per thousand).

Although I am not surprised you didn't know that. It shouldn't have been that much of a surprise anyway, as we already know Ireland are taking in way too many. With almost 2% of the Ukrainian Refugees in Europe, being in Ireland and growing.

All easily verified here or here.

Is the trend also in close countries people are returning to the Ukraine.

More than half have returned. There are almost 3 million Refugees in Europe now, with many of those in non EU countries.

Those in closer countries are also the only ones higher than Ireland that have taken in as many per thousand, which is what you would expect from them, but doesn't explain Ireland.

A very interesting read and it really echoes how a lot of people on this thread feel. The refugee fatigue is setting in...don't agree with the preferential treatment of Ukrainians...we're struggling with the cost of living here...soaring rents...etc etc.

https://www.ft.com/content/5af8ac1a-2310-41ea-bdd7-d5573b6144d5

I read today that 1,000 students in Limerick are struggling to find accommodation! WTF! Could the government y'know not magically find a few hotels for them. Seeing as they are an extremely important part of our future and economy!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Not knowing the facts and claiming they are wrong or facebook outrage doesn't make them wrong.

No, but being wrong makes them wrong.

Obviously probably not a source that you'd trust but the figures I have are from the UNHCR.

Top 10 countries per capita:

Czech Republic   3.82%
    Estonia   3.72%
    Poland   3.36%
    Lithuania   2.21%
    Latvia   1.90%
    Slovakia   1.59%
    Bulgaria   1.25%
    Germany   1.13%
    Cyprus   1.09%
    Austria   0.87%

Feel free to provide the source of your own, dare I say makey-uppy, "figures". Think about it though. You are quoting 1.4 per thousand people here. Our population is about 5.1 million. Or about 5,100 thousands. That would correspond to 7,140 refugees by your figures............

When the hotels are full the fun will really begin. I have said I cannot rule out cpo and stuff like that. Destroy the tourist sector now and people will not come back. They will just holiday somewhere else and that's that. Things are bad now but imagine those that rely on the tourist sector being forced onto the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I did welcome Ukrainians at the beginning of this war, but have much more compassion for Syrians and the Afghan people in particular, moreso because of the way we have treated them as less deserving of help and support over the last couple of months. I'm actually appauled that we can treat people fleeing from different wars in different ways.

• Advertisement

It is an unplanned and emergency situation.

An emergency situation that has been ongoing for 6 months already, and no sign that it will be resolved any time soon.

Why do posters like yourself downplay the costs involved so much, especially since those costs will likely continue for another 6 months, if not double that?

It is an incredibly badly planned situation with truly inept implementation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement