Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭appledrop

God I thought I'd be freezing today with drop in temperature but its still roasting, the humidity is unreal!

Very lucky here in NCD, rained overnight but nice dry spell now so after getting in a good walk as rain meant to be back from lunchtime. It was beautiful I have to say walking through forest and lovely smells after all the rain.

Just to show not just my grass that's green, this is Newbridge House, Donabate.

Now don't get me wrong some of grass is browner but plenty of green too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Rotate the image @appledrop .. crick in my neck :D

I know I haven't a clue why is does that🤣, its boards not my phone.

K .. then before upload from phone you should be able to rotate there ( on my S20 I have that ability in the phone gallery, as far as I know same feature on an Iphone .. ). Just did so on my PC, right click image file name in file explorer, Rotate right

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A much cooler today compared to what we've been used to however it still feels relatively warm. Currently 20C and some hazy sun from time to time. Rainfall last night wasn't much here at Dunshaughlin maybe 1 to 2mm at the very most. We may have to wait till Friday into Saturday before we see some proper rain.

Your a star aidanodr👍, I will know the next time.

Well the heavens have opened here in NCD .

It's torrential, so glad I got that walk in.

Edited: Looks like 10mm fell in that 1 hour, not surprised it was so heavy.

Post edited by appledrop on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A beautiful day now in Meath, plenty of sun and feeling warm at 21C but feels more like 25C. Hopefully we can avoid most of the showers until the weekend and keep things as dry and settled as possible.

Dublin Airport reporting 27.6mm of rain in the past hour? That can't be right? Phoenix Park on 0.01mm. Bone dry here at Dunshaughlin and sunny, now 22C.

Fingers crossed. A lovely afternoon now in Carrigaline. Yes clouds, but lots of sunshine and a small breeze. Around 22, 23.

Who knows for rest of avo re this storm. But just might get away with it hopefully, we are pretty much on the south coast near crosshaven, fountainstown etc

Parasols back out ... optimistically :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Between 1200 and 1400, it reported 37.2mm. Big shower!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

18.3C from an overnight low of 17.4C

Breeze came up in the afternoon, lighter again now. Big convection building, getting duller.

A few drops on and off, working away in the garden, ground rock hard, could do with some rain!

Oh I expect it is right Gonzo it was unbelievable. Started at exactly 4pm and actually wondered if it was hailstones.

The noise of it was unreal especially off the velux windows in the extension.

We were so lucky just in door from shops.

We also had 10mm earlier in an hour from 1pm to 2pm.

I'm telling you our rain total for today will be off the chart. Its not raining constantly but when it does it is very intense.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Another 10.0mm of rain reported at Dublin AP in the last hour (up to 1700). That's at least 47.2mm (so far) today. Dublin AP will end up with a months worth of rainfall today!

Heavy downpour now at Dunshaughlin, skies very dark, amazed there isn't any thunder or lightning with this. Hopefully this is the last of the rain, getting sick of it already.

Gonzo thats what I can't understand, those unreal showers here in NCD and no thunder or lightning.

Got a leak now in my living room with buckets collecting drops from the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I got 6mm from that shower and I’m about 4km from the airport.

My total today is 14mm compared with the airports 47mm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ECMWF 850 hPa windflow analysis for 12pm today. Classic clash of two airmasses over the south creating a convergence zone:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

This evening was the first time I felt it autumnal. Not because of the temperatures in Laois, it's still warm. But the rain clouds and daylight going. Sunset around 20:56 and it seemed dark earlier.

It's a bit of a shock to think we're now at the same day length as 26/27 April.

Post edited by Cumhachtach on

• Advertisement

For the first time in over 6 weeks it actually feels chilly outside now here in Meath. Major drop in temperatures over the past 2 hours and the humidity is more or less gone now. Cool north Atlantic air has moved in with a northerly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Gutted for anyone who took their holidays this week ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

We are lucky to have rain here. Hard thing to say, but things are brutal on the continent at the moment. Light rain today and heavy shower now. North Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Durrow ACS is 950m exactly from my own station. It has recorded 28.4mm since midnight. I've recorded 9.7mm.

I see total rainfall for Dublin AP yesterday now reported as 30.8mm. Must have been some erroneous hourly reports yesterday!

so the official amount for DA is 31.

nothing unusual about very localized downpours in our summer but very uncommon in winter.

I mentioned summer 2007 yesterday and I think it was a regular pattern during the warm summer of 1984 with very localized downpours and some areas a few kms away getting little or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Lovely morning here in Leitrim. Sunshine but blustery.

The weather over Ireland for the remainder of August looks fairly bland, generally mild with showers at times. It looked like we may get another round of high pressure but that is looking unlikely now and instead heat surges going north through the SE of the UK so they look on for more very warm weather while the Atlantic keeps the warmth at bay from us. Maybe we will get one final bite of summer during the first or second week of September.

Its a bit like around February 16 isn’t it when the sun is climbing and getting stronger, days lengthen and you know the chances of a decent cold spell are receding.

Its just the other way around as we enter the second half of August as the sun ‘drops’ from the sky and the evenings close in rapidly.

Its not all doom ‘n gloom though as were still over a month from the equinox and temps into the low 20s are still likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Breezy and fresher across southern Laois this morning and a "nip" in the air compared to the last week, temperatures hovering between 16c and 18c though since 10am. Partly cloudy in a light north to northeast breeze.

Advertisement