Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Outlander PHEV is not sold new as mitsubishi have exited the market.

Leaf is still sold new but there are no deliveries available this year. The new nissan EVs use CCS. Not to mention there are 5% chademo legacy cars and 95% CCS cars sold this year.

Ownership bias is interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The fact that others queuing isn't a problem as long as you don't have to is a bit narrow minded.

No. Statistically you are 3+ times more likely to have to queue up if you have a CCS car as opposed to having a CHAdeMO car. So I'm simply suggesting that needs to be balanced accordingly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ah, the Leaf, moving towards it's on public charging network given the stats on ratio of CHAdeMO to CCS

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That would be nice personally, and it would nicely annoy some people on here... But it would be completely impractical

I'd like to see a country where no electric car has to queue before charging... I think that's one area we can all agree on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

ESB unit in Limerick, this happened to me in dublin too. I pull in and I'd say about 20cm short of being able to reach the charging port (the car beside me was on the correct side for the cables ), why are they designed to such a tight tolerance.

Was that Ballysimon or Thomondgate?

Thanks for the heads up

In the early days one of the most common charger/charge point faults was folk running over the cable or generally leaving it dragging or all over the shop, shortened cable alleviated this. Shorter cable also assists fast charging and the amount of amps running through it is massive so shorter/fatter = better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Thomondgate I think, park near the circle K and you can use any cable with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I always assumed it was ESB being cheap. Longer cables mean more resistance, so to maintain the power at the plug you have to up the thickness. I imagine a 500A cable isn't cheap, especially those water cooled ones

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

So once again our conclusion is more chargers 😁

Just waiting for ESB to figure it out, or for Fastened or Gridserve to move into Ireland, or Ionity expansion, or Tesla opening up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

I see the leaf bashing still continues. Every site should have chademo available. Leaf is still sold. There are other cars out there and even tesla with an adapter that can charge on chademo

Providing dedicated unit for this is which my own opinion would be a waste, hence ecars offers plugs for both on each station (Mayfield the exception). So when a chademo car does pull up it can charge. It's first come first served, deal with it besides getting all high an mighty.

The unit is there which is the bulk of the cost, it gets a ccs connector, so relax that with the fact they just add a chademo connector as well.

Just because you bought a car with css, you don't need to get snobby or that you are somewhat superior to those on chademo. Just being a total

yes more chargers, more on the west.- ain't enough on fine days when people out.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Right, so there should be more CCS units installed than chademo going forward? Gotcha!

I do not have a CHAdeMO EV, but had two in the past, a Leaf and Model S, currently have two CCS EVs.

This is an eCars thread, as a Government body (not getting into the technicality of it) they should be providing solution to a public need and there are lots of CHAdeMO EVs out there which are nowhere near abandonment stage and need support. Tesla/Ionity are not in the public domain (stretching Ionity a bit) so have no need to support CHAdeMO, this is why eCars must support it.

The ratio of CHAdeMO is the issue, at present it will continue 50/50 and in time the cables will be changed out as CHAdeMO occupancy drops.

Remember, not everyone has access to a home charger and these brave adopters need support when around home and on a journey.

Don't know how you get your statistics or your pulling assumption out your, as said it's first come first served. If there is a ccs in front you you will need to wait, if there is a chademo in front you also need to wait.

I can't say this for sure, it would be my belief that most chademo cars would be a smaller battery so they are likely more likely to to stop before the 45 min mark. CSS with bigger battery may stay the full 45 or longer

So I'd say you be waiting more because of that than a anything

Problem is lack of chargers, not the ports that come with it.

No one is saying "no" chademo, it just should be directly related to the number of cars on the road

On ionity the argument could be made that with their public funding element they could be mandated to install one chademo per site like france did!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So after eCars finally giving a commitment to an October date for the replacement of the Derry 50kW, the charger has now shat the bed completely. Red button is hanging off.

Ecars now going back to "no definite date" for replacing it.

What do ye be doing up there to the units!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lads in Sierra Cosworths be doin the donuts around them, and sometimes hit them...... they claim it's unintentional, but in reality they are trying to hit them for they fear the future.

• Advertisement

Yeah tbh I think it's fine to have CCS and Chademo on every charger, we just need lots of chargers

And I mean proper hubs, Tesla style, banks of 8 chargers with 1 set of plugs per space. And they need to be everywhere, in every medium sized town and motorway services across the country

I know if it adds 10% to the total cost then you could install 10 CCS only chargers for the prices of 9 dual sockets

But let's be honest, ESB seem to be struggling to install 9 DC chargers in a year, so I don't think that having Chademo plugs on the chargers is going to be the limiting factor

I think our conclusion was always the same, rather than wait for an ecars competitor I think if I won the Euro millions in the morning I'd start my own business of EV hubs

I heard once that adding an extra plug to a charger costs in the region of €100, which if true I'd imagine would be a lot less than 10% of the total cost

I don't think it's THAT cheap, a CCS plug alone costs a few hundred for a 125A capable one which gives you 50kW on a 400V car

The 10% figure came from Ecars, a while back they did a report which included a statement saying that having dual standard chargers only added 10-15% to the cost IIRC

I think a bog standard DC charger these days can be bought for under €10k (taking a quick look at Alibaba I found several for $6000, but that's before taxes and ESB ineptitude is added in). So if Ecars own statistics are true then you're looking at around €1k per charger, probably quite a bit less

So a thousand dual standard chargers would cost €1 million more than a thousand CCS only chargers. Pretty much pocket change when compared to general infrastructure spending

so can the anti chademo brigade give it a rest.

solution is to have more chargers, more hubs that can charge 4+ vehicles at same time. With perhaps something to be done about spots being ICE'd and EV's not charging which blocks spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Also the way they place the chargers can be stupid. I can never understand why they can't place a charger that any car can park and charge at the front or rear of it.

I assume it's a way of fudging the numbers. Take those 2 50kW units for example

Ecars will say it's a 4 car hub, and in theory they're correct. But in practice you end up with 2 cars charging at maybe 7kW on AC and 2 cars limited to 25kW each on DC

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Had the pleasure of using J14 Mayfield today twice, id3 in for update and had to use the i3 rather than the garage supplied Kamiq. Between being terrible to drive, petrol costs, no dashcam and no toll tag the i3 made more sense despite needing to cover 300km’s in a 18.2kwh car- Rex came in handy as always-

Arrived at Mayfieid 10am with 3% battery, no signage to find the chargers or I missed it, only one space available, had to reverse in onto the hatch marking separating the parking bays to get the cable to reach. Waited at the car, id4 driver comes back and makes a face at my parking. I told him I had no option as the cable would not reach. He looks 3 stalls up to the now free spot and says I should have parked there instead ….lovely fella

Afternoon charge was grand as there was a free charger to access the drivers side charge port -

would have had the same issue in the id3 - albeit the battery 99% of the time doesn’t need public charging. Unbelievable how busy it was at that ‘hub’-

I think we need to stop calling a station with fewer than 10 chargers a "hub" J14 has 8 chargers but one is exclusively Chademo and 5 of them are exclusively CCS so only has 7 or 3 chargers depending on your car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

Esb I think 10 years ago said it cost 50k per site with a triple head. Easygo are using cheaper tritium units but they are still over 10k and possibly 20k for 75kW models (guesses). Chargers also need to be smart, online and integrate to ESB's billing and app system. Software changes alone for new models of chargers could be relatively high. Then typically they would go through a tender process for a full integrated system with X years free warranty and Spares. They they need to source a free site with 50+kW spare as grid upgrades cost $$$$ and can take 6 months. Laghy the recent install should have been 100kW+ but the grid costs made 50kW X 2 happen. The planning permission, ground works, heavy duty underground cabling, little boxes and maybe transformers all add up to a hefty total cost, and that's excluding all the admin staff at hq on esb wages $$$

Even easygo have said (prior to high price rises) that multiple 50kW units on one site don't make financial sense, and they don't seem keen to roll out multiple chargers next to motorways preferring hotels away from motorways.

If I won the lotto I would consider 2 or 3 hubs at key sites, where the grid already existed, where a restaurant, hotel or petrol station would agree to partner and where there is room for 8+ 50kW+ chargers. Start with say 2 chargers, but put in ducting and pillars for more. The other key thing is to advertise them properly, 99% of EV drivers don't know easygo exist, and even if they do they don't try visit their few DC sites on cross country trips. I have used easygo DC in Bray and Wicklow town, kinnegad, Monaghan (removed later) and DCU. They are great backups if not ideally located and being slightly higher than esb means miserable people will avoid them. They also have stiff competition from ionity & Tesla who don't need to make profits on public charging.

Advertisement