Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Only a third made it to sale direct to public last year. In addition the ftb grant ran 50% over budget. Similar overruns in this scheme and reduced stock available for sale could bring it to 50% of the stock available for sale.

Most of the outstanding planning permissions are for build to rent units in High demand areas. We also have the cases reported by the Sunday business Post where existing homes that were long term leased to the state have close to doubled in value as result of the lease

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hence the “if” which preceded “you were selling”

Here’s a simple question for you, IF you were to sell your house, would you sell to the highest bidder, or would you sell to a FTB for €100k less because you want to help them out?

When you answer that question, it should dawn on you why property prices have risen so much in recent years. Home sellers, be they owner occupiers like yourself, or developers, want the max that a buyer will pay. So please, don’t be blaming the Government, or saying people are greedy because the seller wants the most they can get. It is hypocritical, and stupid. A government cannot magically make houses appear, so thinking a change of government will make things better is idiotic, because it will be the private sector who builds them. And as long as houses are in short supply, developers will charge whatever someone will pay.

FDI is what helped us out of recession, there was no construction sector, our banking/financial sector was in tatters, retail as doomed. It was the tech and pharma sectors which lifted a sinking boat, gave all those graduates jobs, restarted the construction sector, brought in the taxes necessary to run the public services. And continues to do so today.

You hoping for its demise, and tens of thousands of employees lose their jobs just because you think it will help people buy a house, is, well, unique to say the least.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I never even said i was selling. If i was selling i would also be buying as i have one home so i would take the market rate

The piont is that you dont get is people are not happy about the market renting or buying price here and see it as extreamly unfair. It is distorted by too much FDI.

Up taxs to a piont where there is no need for net immigration of 30k to fill jobs. It would be a far fairer society. By the likes of you just dont get this or you are greedy and have a vested interest in rents and prices staying high. You have a home. You dont give a **** about about people here giving half their wage on rent because you have an asset and just want it to go up in value. You will vote FF I bet to deliver that.

What is the piont in the economy creating jobs that it needs 30k net immigration to fill them when there is housing crises. Oh yeah so MNC can use our tax rate to make as much money as they can without giving a **** of the social consequences here. Only idiots or greedy people want the status quo to continue. Too many people see the unfairness tho and are flocking to SF as they seem to be the only party that gets this and going to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A significant amount of inflation in rental and property market is due to state interference. As you mentioned, long term leases allow rental units to be packaged up and sold on like mortgages used to be.

The only solution really is some radical curbs to the buying & selling of property. Maybe something in zoning that limits amount of rentals/reserving areas for owner occupiers, or same for planning permissions. Alternatively, applying taxes on any profits realised from the selling of property subject to a lease, or land subject to PP - these are the 2 main avenues used to "enhance" property value before selling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

What's the likely story behind these? An entire row of houses going up for auction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

When where they built? Could it be a pyrite issue or something like that that means you won't get a mortgage for it?

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is almost certainly something seriously wrong with them that makes them unsaleable to anyone except developers / funds / similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There looks to be common area which would necessitate a management company. If that is the case the bank selling them would be reluctant to sell individually as they would need to set up such a structure.

There may be common area issues to be sorted as well. As well they may not be connected to all utilities. Easier to get what you can now rather than spend a year sorting it

Slava Ukrainii

Landlord selling up possibly, one of those were advertised for rental, €3500 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

New UK lender plans 50-year fixed rate mortgages

Perenna secures licence from regulators to issue long-term home loans as inflation soars

interesting development in UK wonder how long before 50 year mortgages will arrive here..

• Advertisement

Communion and confirmation money will be accepted as part deposit

Many posters belive SF and populism will destroy the economy. Maybe the populism that will destroy the country is inherent threat of high house prices and the naievity homeowners belive they benefit from it

Why housing can undo 30 years of economic progress?

Last 14 minites for those that don't need the banter and history lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Listened to it yesterday, and it makes a very good point; if we continue to lock a sector out of the housing market, we can't be surprised when that part of the electorate vote with their feet and decide to blow everything up.

The housing situation is storing up problems for society at large.

Glenveagh CEO Stephen Harvey on smaller gardens,

Apartments are unviable and housebuyers are subsidising them

Shift from apartment to own door accomodation, while keeping units per hectare the same and eliminating ongoing management fees

Removing apartments from suburban schemes, would reduce cost of delivery per unit to 315 to 325k per unit

Seems eager to have a shift away from investment fund product to ftb product

Inflation has peaked, labour is plentiful, wage inflation between 4 and 6%

indeed. People who ask potential SF voters what they expect SF to do to fix things are utterly missing the point. I know a ton of people (including elderly family members - not just young people) who are going to vote SF for the first time. And the reason is to blow everything up. Turn over the tables. Take a flamethrower to the whole thing and hope to rebuild.

I think for many it’s got to the point that the devil you don’t know is better than the one you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I can sympathise with those people and FF/FG aren't 'owed' votes but that's not how creative destruction works.

Creative destruction is when something 'better' is brought in and the old is simultaneously gotten rid of. If SF are going to destroy first and "hope to rebuild" later than that is high-stakes gambling at best.

Though perhaps Eoin O'Broin will have a coherent plan come election time.

You know that and I know that. But it doesn’t wash with the people I’m talking about. The idea of another electoral cycle of more of the same isn’t an option for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

It's absolutely idiotic though - by almost any metric Ireland has some of the highest standards of living in the world. One issue is that houses have gotten expensive (though not wildly out of line with comparable countries) due to there being a lot of money around and not enough building during a pandemic, and people want to respond to that by destroying everyone's livelihoods, introducing levels of poverty not seen in decades, and darkening our children's futures for the sake of house prices getting a bit cheaper (but no more affordable to the many who will lose their jobs of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Very dishonest of your to frame our current housing issues as a result of "not building enough during a pandemic"

Have you been living under a rock for the last 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Get Real

I agree that those are the reasons. But I'd respectfully argue that people who give those reasons are also missing the point.

There's hardly a single example of engaging in a "flamethrower" vote that has had a positive outcome.

In general, are people's lives better in the UK since the Brexit vote?

Did Trumps stint leave a lasting and measurable change of fortunes for normal working people in America?

We elected in 2011 Fine Gael and Labour as two fingers to FF. Labour promised no increase in college fees. There was also the slogan "Frankfurt's way or Labour's way" at one point in June 2010 they were at 32% in the opinion polls.

Needless to say, college fees went up and water meters were installed. The rest that came/gave hope and paused water charges& further austerity was more down to the global economy than who was at the helm imo.

Likewise, I give the same outlook when the economy downturns. Its mostly timing and musical chairs. Fully willing to be challenged on that.

Given Brexit, Trump and how we now want to vote out those we took a chance on in the 2011 election, I personally don't believe it's anything more than cyclical coincidences and being in office at the right time and place. With policies having success depending on the waves of the tide that's able to carry them.

All these words from SF are bollocks the same as they were from other parties before them. I've no doubt they'll be elected, I just don't see any major changes nor this eye-opening moment of "look at us now, it can be done"

Saying that, I don't have any strongly ill feelings towards any party really, because at the end of the day they're just humans unable to predict the future, alot of it is hope and look, your whole life is given to public scrutiny and criticism. You'll always have people angry at you.

• Advertisement

I would have more respect for Labour than any other party past or present for one simple reason

Labour will sacrifice votes for the betterment of the country. I think all others would do the opposite. Voters quickly forget that it was Labour that brought in free fees in the first place which enabled us to move up the value chain of FDI. Every other party squandered the fruits of that policy to the point of breaking the country a feat the current shower are well on the road to repeating

when SF get voted in I would say the house prices will drop. It should be a good note to any party in government, if you have high population growth and a consistent housing crisis, then dont expect to stay in government

And if they don’t, it will be an abject failure to deliver on one of their priorities. If you think prices will drop with a change of government, you must think the only factors in house prices, are those controlled by politicians, of any party, which of course is stupid.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Why do you think they will drop? What are they going to do to cause this drop?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

We know they can go up, down or remain static, but the questions asked were, why does the poster think they will drop because the government changes, and how will they make prices drop?

They are fair questions after such a statement.

While a change in Government probably result in an instantaneous fall in house prices, it will see a change in the direction of housing policy.

This could well lead to more affordable, and more accessible, housing for more people in the future.

Sounds like an election promise, like all the others, hard to deliver unless they find a way of reducing the population, reducing wages, building lots of houses, and stopping people with better paying jobs/more savings from outbidding those with less financial resources, etc, etc.

Should be easy enough, after all, they have done a great job in the North to make everyone happy.

The invisible hand of the market will guide everything.

• Advertisement

They can’t really do any worse with respect to the factors that you list

Advertisement