Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert a CAADX SE to 1x - Advice/help needed

Options
  • 16-08-2022 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking at changing my CaadX Se to 1x and have a question. Will the attached compnonets do it? The caadx has a 4 bolt 120bcd crank. The GRX rear mech isn't necessary but an upgrade for rougher ground.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm not sure on the chainring - but I don't know if you need the roadlink for the rear derailleur. I thought this was when you are pushing the limit of the max sprocket size but the GRX 812 will work perfectly with an 11-40 (or 42)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

cheers, I'm thinking initially that I may keep the 105 mech I have and upgrade it afterwards. Think that will mean that I need the roadlink. On anpother note though: 40t or 42t? I live in West Yourkshir which is hilly! No issues climbing anything really (haven't done Hardknot yet...) with 50/34 and 30t on teh back but want an 'easy' option for more offroad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you are using it offroad, I'd get as low a gear as possible. I have a 40t front ring and 42t rear sprocket and I use this relatively often off-road - climbing on any sort of loose surface isn't easy. For comparison, I have a roadbike with 34-34 easiest gear and don't think I've ever used that gear, even on a flemish cobbled climb

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Does anyone have any advice i.e. the front chainring and bolts please?

Advertisement