Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Just got a call from Kia and they have told me the date on there system has changed now till the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'm corresponding with a friend from the US who recently bought an EV6 and absolutely loves it; he'd originally thought of getting a Tesla, but Elon Musk's latest antics put him off. Says that the EV6 is, to an American, more of a compact car and not as 'big' as might look in the adverts.

We're in the market for an EV here, and the EV6 seems promising. One question to those of you who have driven them in Ireland, how do they fare on your typical Irish "L" and "R" roads? We live in West Kerry and those sorts of roads - narrow, usually have to pull over for oncoming cars, are a daily reality. Any experience? Is the width of the car a concern? We currently drive an old Auris beater, complete piece of sh1te that's showing signs of dying soon, and would rather get an EV then faff around with a 'stopgap' petrol/diesel/PHV

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

You'd be better off asking in the ev6 thread! But the Niro is only 65 mm narrower than the ev6 and it's fine.

Also have an amorak and that's even wider and it's fine too. Just don't be a fool and drive past good passing spots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SaulGoodman

Niro EV order confirmed, delighted to get that far. 2nd EV in the drive along with a model 3 so no more diesel. Little part of me thinks should be making a stretch for the EV6 but really trying to keep costs down...Any thoughts on the ev6 v niro ev?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Best thing to do might be to compare the width of your current car to the width of the ev6. Make sure it is with or without mirrors in both cases.

generally though as long as you aren’t currently driving a car that is smaller than a golf or focus it will only be a bit wider and you should be fine. Like anything you get used to it. It’s more on tight roads where there is just enough room where you don’t have to pull over that it gets a bit hairy in a wider car imo. For example an ev6 is about 55mm wider than a focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

So, I have decided to go ahead and pay the deposit, the dealer says they are getting 7 cars in September and I was the last one. They are not even sure what colours are they getting so fingers crossed for blue. :)

Anybody hoping to get the car, I recommend to apply for finance on the Kia website, do not even bother with the dealers, the one in Galway gave me a PCP quote with the repayments that were around 150 monthly more than the website. A DAYLIGHT ROBBERY!

Has anybody got their car yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

I think it depends on the dealer a lot, I was given a decent price from my dealer and that was with the GMFV being about €2,500 lower than the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

I'm still waiting on them to get back to me with the monthly price, because the GMFV in their system was lower than the site, they needed to get the bank to do it. It'll end up being lower than the price on the kia site anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Just wondering do you know if they were actually delivered and is it the registration etc that is holding up the delivery?

• Advertisement

Apparently there isn't a single NIRO EV in the country and not due till September. Registration is done online and only takes a day or 2 from the time the dealer receives the car.

Fingers crossed for end of Aug or start of Sept.

Seen 2 in Derry and 1 in Belfast already. They got there's last week in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I was talking at a dealer last week who said he had half a dozen going out at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hi folks,

Just wondering what's involved with a first service for an eNiro. Just hit the 15000kms mark.

How much should it cost ballpark from a Kia dealer?

Plan to ring around later this week.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

Just had same done last week. €129. They said €169 then reduced when I asked what was being done. Only pollen filter and checks (and a wash if lucky).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Do you have to get a service at 15k to avoid warranty being voided?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I had mine in last year for the first time at approx 3000km.. had it in again in the last few weeks for the second time.. only they’re saying this year is the first service so I’m not sure what last year was for? I WFH so have very low mileage - there’s only about 8500kms on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

If you have a warranty claim then it’s an easy out for them if the car has not been serviced according to the schedule. It will also make your car more sellable if it has a full history.

I know that any car I bought from new got a full main dealer service history at least until the warranty was up. I had the valves go on a 5 year old 2.0d Verso before. The service manager asked me if it had a full history, and then talked to Toyota Ireland who covered the cost of the repair.

I will find it hard to fork over €180 for essentially nothing, but it’s worth it for peace of mind.

Fair point. I've about 13k done so far so will have to start thinking about a service in the next few months. I had a look at the Kia Service website and it's quoting about €135 for my local dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

for warranty service must be done with genuine kia parts. From previous ice kia’s labor can be any mechanic. But cost difference between kia garage and elsewhere would not justify the risk of kia reneging on warranty imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

A genuine Kia Pollen filter !!! Don't we just love the justification

@jimmy86 what dealer was that. I've clicked on several and all showing me over €200

That was for Ray Crofton in Kildare. 15k first service. I checked a few around Dublin and they were quoting about €165.

I got word from Kia today to say the cars landed in the country. So orders should start to be fulfilled in the next couple of weeks including delivery and registration.

I'm just not sure if Kia have an official launch window, meaning we have the cars but we don't get them till say September 4th for example.

There would be a lot of money tied up by holding off on delivery to customers.

I got mine on the day before the first lockdown in Mar 2020 and the dealer did his damnedness to get the car out the door, and money in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Quoted €120 for a Service from a Kia dealer in Cork - going with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

That's great to know. Reading about problems with other cars had me thinking they might delay it at the last minute. Once they are in the country it hopefully wont be too long.

I did ask would we get them before Sept 1st. I was told, ill let you know lol. So no confirmation yet, but I'll keep you posted regardless.

So that shows for me for €223.99, but it may well be because my next one will be my third.

But I've paid €199 for each of my first two services (Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

What mileage will that be at? My next service will also be my third service, the 45,000km one (every 15k). Was told after the 2nd service that the third would be about €460 due to the blue coolant change.

• Advertisement

Exactly what I am expecting too. Won't be until next March for me. Mine currently only has 18k on it, my servicing is annual rather than every 15k, so realistically, there's no reason for the coolant change in my case I reckon

Advertisement