Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

All's not lost yet, the GFS 6z wants to build up that high pressure again from mid next week and the ECM looks like it might too except a couple of days later. All FI stuff of course but worth keeping an eye on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah the 6z is looking a bit more promising for Ireland whereas the last 3 GFS runs locked Ireland away from any potential warmth while SE UK and the rest of Europe goes back into the oven. Would need to see at least 5 or 6 GFS runs in a row to show this build of high pressure over us and the other models to fall in line. I'm not looking for record breaking temperatures here, just another full week of sunny skies and temperatures low to mid twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

ME’s yesterday’s weather now reporting 26.8mm at the airport.

(Casement 8.6mm and PP 6.8mm)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cool, cloudy and breezy today in Meath, feels very autumnal, temperature only 17C but feels more like 13C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭appledrop

The best word to describe today is fresh.

Yes it's cooler, but it amazing to breath in that fresh air after all the heat and humidity.

Now I'll take a few days of this then I'll have the heat back please😉.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Banarol

Back to the ordinary boring weather for the foreseeable. Our default weather. No 30 degree heat to bask in now or temperature watching to see if records are broke. No watching lightning maps.org for approaching thunderstorms. No spectacular lightning to video and watch. What are we going to do at all? All we are left with now is bland uninteresting weather. Which makes us appreciate weather events all the more. Whenever the next event of interest will be? Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Banarol

Yeah its a bit like being on a right good drinking session and then the hangover. Or coming back from a foreign holiday can be a bit of a downer for a day or two. What goes up must come down. Anyway one gets used to the mundane within a few days until the next event and the cycle repeats itself. Don't get me wrong I have other interests although these tend to shelved when there's a big weather event

I'm really missing the unbroken sunshine and mid to high twenties already. Could do with another 2 or 3 weeks of it till mid September. The mid autumn to late Spring period of chilly temperatures is long enough as it is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great day in Kerry, about 18C, welcome breeze , enjoying the freshness .

Pic taken early afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Heading to Kerry next week and I'd take that! Not looking great at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

A beautiful refreshing day in SW Donegal. Blue skies mostly with a fresh breeze taking the edge of the temperatures. Great drying. Apart from some light rain the other night, from the Donegal Bay thunderstorm, we have had little rain.

I love these type of early autumn days. Sitting out in the garden in the shelter and its lovely although I do have the fleece beside me on the chair.

Certainly no sun in Meath today, a thick blanket of low hanging cloud all day and feeling very cool in that breeze. Probably the coldest day we've had since June.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not great the weekend, looking showery or prolonged spells of rain on Sat with a possible more prolonged wet day on Sun and some frontal rain possible in the early days but tonight the ECM looking half decent with a ridge building and less rain as the week goes on hopefully , might even be pleasant, would be great if the HP moved in over us at the end of the week, GFS slower to build the hp but gets there eventually . Anyway enjoy your spell in Kerry.

Edit spelling

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

You might be the one to answer this Gonzo but it's a question that's been bugging me...:

At the end of the last three heatwaves in a row we've gone from temps of 28-31C down to 15-17C within two days.

A 14C swing.

Last month, today and last August too.

Why the dramatic swing from one extreme to the other?

You'd expect maybe a gradual decline via the low twenties, or is that too much to ask for? 🤣

Basically after the 3 hot spells this summer they got broken down really quickly by low pressures swinging down from the Iceland/Greenland direction with northerly winds attached to them so a huge transformative flip in upper air temperatures from +15 to +20 down to around 0 to +3 uppers in a very short period of time, a matter of hours.

Yesterday afternoon the humidity and temperature felt like high twenties, fast forward 24 hours later and today felt like a mid to late October afternoon. The temperatures will begin to stage a slow recovery from tomorrow although Saturday looks every bit as chilly as today if not colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Noticed when heading out of the estate today the amount of leaves on the ground. You would think it was Autumn judging by the colour of the leaves on some of the trees and then others had a carpet of brown leaves under them .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I thought Saturday was supposed to be a generally dry day across the country,but looking at the weather after the news it looks quite wet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

You’re not asking me but I’ll give my opinion anyway.

extremes of temperatures (whether summer or winter) are not normal in this country so a swing of around 14c within a day or two as temperatures return to normal isn’t unusual and is to be expected.

I remember around Christmas 2010 temperatures went from -17c to +12c in about two days!

BBC News 24 forecast tonight at 21.55 suggesting more very warm weather on the way to see out the summer, I sure we can tap into that too?

Agreed. Christmas 2010 was another example of the see-saw effect.

I suppose whenever we do get extreme of heat or cold, it inevitably means that the opposite airmass has been pent up somewhere nearby, biding its time to bring us crashing back down to the climatic norm (very quickly!)

• Advertisement

Some trees leaves have been browning due to drought. Still a little early for most trees to start shedding leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭pad199207

Really felt the cold today, not because it was actually cold but the fact I think our bodies have climatized

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It's baltic feeling out there in south Laois tonight, a light but noticeable northerly breeze of 3mph/5kph and temperatures of just above 10c.

Tonight really reminds me of when you come back from a week in Spain and get dumped on the edge of the runway at Dublin airport before midnight and try to make your way back on foot to the gate!

We have a week of autumnal conditons to come (an unsettled wet weekend) and possibly more rain on Monday. After that hopefully things will improve alot and we should be back into low twenties at the very least if this high pressure begins to take hold from next Tuesday. The next 7 days will be basically a repeat of the first and final week of June. We just have to get through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Totally agree! Feels really chilly this morning! And no real heat to look forward to.....wah, wah!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

today looks good😎 - make the most of it folks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful morning in Galway. I have noticed that apples have ripened early this year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Definitely make the most of today's dry weather, a bit of a washout to come over the next 5 days with no shortage of rain or showers, up to 40mm of rain could fall in places between tomorrow and Tuesday. The drought is well and truly over.

There are signs things may improve towards the second half of next week for the final week of August. After that September may break down quickly into an unsettled Atlantic dominated pattern and we're into autumn by that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭appledrop

Nothing nice about today in NCD.

Dull with a light drizzle all morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yup, pretty dismal out. Mad to think there was not a single cloud in the sky this very day last week.

Advertisement