Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times looking for Landlords to have their say

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm confused how you think owning and maintaining property is a passive activity that can only increase in value with no effort and no risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

You're constructing an awfully flimsy strawman to support a fundamentally immoral and socially worthless activity, and you're not fooling anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Your confusion might stem from the fact that I never said anything about risk or "only increasing in value". Try not adding in additional details you make up yourself and then attributing those made up things to others. It will make things easier for you to follow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

who's exposed? the irish times article(s) which this thread is about is about small landlords. if they don't want to be exposed to that risk, sell? i doubt anyone is still in negative equity as we're pretty much back at peak celtic tiger prices, and if it's that much of a risk/headache, why are they continuing to expose themselves to that risk?

Don't understand your comment. If landlords didn't exist we would all be in a position to purchase a home straight out of school or college?

If profit was not to be made on rentals who would bother, that would leave the state to be the sole rental body. A state that wants to privatise as much as possible including energy, water, health care and housing. The same state that has failed to take any action over the last number of years to rectify the issue of housing even though its a priority for them, a state that has housing lists stretching back years.

There was a point a number of years back where the quality of rental stock varied and so too did the rental prices. Granted some were hell holes but were affordable. The introduction of minimum standards means most properties are of a good standard and now there is less variation in rents.

There is a shortage of housing stock in desirable areas as a result prices of rentals are high. Government intervention attempted to curb rents failed, this pushed rentals towards corporate ownership. These corporations will try to extract as much profit from rentals to keep Shareholders happy.

The world is moving towards subscription/rental model instead of ownership just look at cars, movies, TV shows and music. This guarantees constant revenues for these corporations, it will get to a point where only these corporations and the ultra wealthy will be able to afford to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭notAMember

So is it back to being a business again? Or is it not a business.

Message unclear.

Well you are the word who used the word. You apparently consider it a business. I have no idea whether you run it as a business or as a hobby or how you want to run it. That is up to you. There are no laws preventing you from setting up a business structure and renting any property you own out in that manner should you decide to do so.

As mentioned, I have a few accidental landlords in my extended family who seem to be able to manage without drama or hysterics. So I find it surprising when I hear of others, especially those who apparently consider themselves to be doing the same as a business, who are struggling to cope. That's a bit strange don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You do know that if most landlords were to sell, the rental crisis would be even worse.

Rental units have higher occupancy rates than owner occupied homes. Encouraging landlords to all sell up will actually exacerbate the accommodation crisis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if someone is an accidental landlord and is struggling, i am curious as to why they wouldn't sell up; there may be circumstances preventing them from selling, but if you're an accidental landlord, often you won't have a mortgage to pay on the place anyway?

if you're a deliberate landlord and are losing money, i would again pose the same question; why not cash your chips in and sell? and also my sympathy would probably be along the same lines as towards someone who played the stock market and lost money; if you're taking a punt on the rental market, you know it's a risk, and you're clearly not poor to start with.

the situation we're currently in is very, very different to the situation say 10 years ago when people were losing their shirts on properties they couldn't shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They are, that's the point. With 800 properties available across the whole country and about 5000-7000 landlords leaving every year. I don't see it getting better without some drastic intervention.

Only thing holding me back from selling is that the family that lives there would have to be kicked out, and with 3 properties to rent in the whole city and the only one remotely suitable home being double the price, I'd fear they would become homeless.

Not something I'm willing to do.

• Advertisement

i accept that that effect might be a possibility, but why would it have prevented any one of the struggling landlords from selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Negative equity, sunk costs not recouped, they plan to move back their/use it for the kids. Multiple reasons why they would keep struggling rather than sell.

But mainly they want to try and create a fair market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its not a possibility but an inevitability. There is no scenario in which it doesnt happen should the rate of selling keep up.

Why not sell? Who knows. Maybe these struggling landlords want to do their part to avoid a homeless crisis

the irish times possibly could have done a better job at capturing that sentiment.

The property owner if there is a crash or they get locked in and can't sell when they need to.

There been more than one thread where people lost the place they rented and couldn't get back into the property they own and rent.

Greed might also be another factor in some cases.

It's implied by how you used the term "rent-seeking"

No. I used the term "rent-seeking"

You just made up the term "rent-selling" yourself there now. Rent-seeking is a concept concerning economic rent. It does not imply any stance that values can only go up.

Assume renting housing is banned tomorrow. How do you house the people who the govt won't house and who can't afford to buy.

Actually it's was an autocorrect error on the phone. Spelling aside the point is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

A landlord with a mortgage might be negative from a cashflow perspective but still be making money. I think a failure to acknowledge this is a big problem and big blind spot.

E.g.

200k value

150k mortgage costing 1k per month (say, 3% interest)

Rent @ 1400 per month, tax bill 600 per month

In theory the landlord is "losing" 200 per month from a cashflow perspective.

But in reality the landlord is investing 200 per month and reducing their mortgage balance by over 1000 per month.

So they feel like they are losing but in reality they are winning big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

My favourite anecdote of all was the one where the landlord(upon advice from a garda no less) paid to have his tenant beaten up and illegally evicted lovely people the landlords. The self entitled whinging is hilarious "I want the tenants to pay off all my debt for me whilst also making a big profit every month and I want no regulation whatsoever" Disgusting entitlement from social parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Assume renting housing is banned tomorrow.

A great victory against the landlords. LOL

How do you house the people who the govt won't house and who can't afford to buy.

I honestly don't think a lot of the people commenting online care, they own their own, inherited their own or never rented in their lives. They do not give a s*ite.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They are 3.5k per year have been exiting for the last 5-6 years. However for some it may be sentimental a family home or they may consider there children will have use for it in the longer term.

Being a LL is one of the few small businesses that you cannot take tax free equity from as you retire. In virtually every other business you can

There is deeply flawed assumptions regarding rental properties. The problem at present is that many more would consider renting property they own except that they now consider the risk outweighs the possible gain. Only rental properties that are rented at the upper end of the market make serious capital gain in value.

If you are in other segments of the market the actual value may stagnate especially in some cases where you are renting through HAP. Refurbishmend costs are a serious issue now in case of damage to property and where it's required after a sale.

One again planned government intervention this time to help try to keep LL in the market is being tempered with conditions that will make the intervention unattractive to either existing LL or new ones. The larger LL has at this stage probably gone into a mini REIT. Smaller LL's have really not got this option.

The plan to make 5-10 years leases a condition of the tax break will in effect make it worthless.

Slava Ukrainii

Your point is still wrong.

To explain in simple terms, rent-seeking concerns activity which results in someone being able to charge higher prices than they would otherwise were supply-demand curves allowed to settle at equilibrium. That could be cornering some market or scarce resource to manipulate its price - which would be trying to make the price go up for when you eventually sell it. Or it could be in grabbing a scarce resource such as a house and collecting rental income at higher than it actually costs to provide that. The former does not depend on regular payments of "rental income" from leasing it out, and the latter has no dependency on the price of the house increasing, nor on the "rental income" increasing or even staying the same. The "rental income" could decrease but still be above the equilibrium point.

(Rent-seeking could also be a case of getting laws or rules brought in to keep your own position artificially high. Or setting things up so that you make money without having to contribute or produce anything. In an ideal free market, the latter should not be possible.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The only people complaining about landlords leaving the market are landlords and politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

The only people with a rational reason to be happy about it are financial corporations with an interest in displacing small business.

Spite against the petit bourgeoisie would be an irrational reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Housing99

Its madness that people say we need landlords considering between the election of 1932 and 1991 we all but got rid of them by building masses of social housing and having large grants for working people to buy homes.

What changed? We became a free market economy and opened up to finance. The finance, tech sectors and asset classes done well and the rest have been left to struggle and rot. Thankfully we look like electing a government that seem to want to change the fundamentals away from being a money laundry for multi nationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Why dont you shake that magic money tree that landlords do. Its very simple just look at others and do as they do. There is no magic to it, very simple. Then you can sit back and watch the money roll in.

Advertisement