Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nunes off to Wolves for 40 Million.

Guess we were never actually in for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hasn't really mentioned but why did VVD slow down when chasing Zaha,

If he had of kept going he would have put him under a lot more pressure & he may have possibly missed,

Also anyone got a good video of Nunez fist half miss , was he tackled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i didn't think he did. in fact, he realised we'd been caught (but possibly slightly too late) and put on a sprint to try and get there, but Zaha was too far gone.

that's what I thought in real time.

He defo slows down, It's like he thinks Zaha won't score form the angle and if he gets close he might cut inside

To me its lazy , just not being at it 100%

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The chance right at the end of the first half?

Wasn't tackled from what I remember, just a miskick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't think he slowed down because he was lazy, Zaha started moving toward him in the box so he needed to slow down. Zaha was still at an acute angle to the goal and quite far away from the goal as well so not sure to score. It was a good finish.

If Van Dijk keeps on sprinting and bundles Zaha over to give away a penalty you would have people moaning about something that he could have done better.

I just rewatched it and it looks like Docoure gets back and toe pokes the ball or Nunez foot as Nunez shoots , The camera isn't in the best spot for a clear view

I might sound a but mental but looking back at it i don't think Nunez tried to properly nut Anderson,

Looks like he tries to chest bump him very aggressively but the slight height difference means his forehead gets him in the nose,

Yes he deservers to be sent off because he he must control himself but he never makes that head butt movement with his head,

He swung his head at him earlier so i could be wrong .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he butted him.

he'd tried literally 10 seconds beforehand, and Andersen started pointed at him. so he made sure the second time.

it was utter madness, and he'd better learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Is that not more reason to strengthen the squad now? Yes the 4 points are lost but the way things are going there will be a lot more lost very quickly. United an absolute shambles but with our squad in the condition it is i fear for next monday in old trafford. Our midfield is near collapse with another injury and playing the remaining players more only increases the chances they'll be injured. We tried this risky approach with our defence a few seasons back and look at how that turned out.

Get in, at least, a decent midfielder now or run the risk of not getting top 4. I am not even being sensationalist with this. City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all look a safer bet for top 4 right now. Each team has strengthened (weirdly maybe only City are about the same but with the Haaland effect they could have this won by christmas) since last season we've gone backwards slightly if anything. I know its only two games in but that makes this all the more alarming for me.

I feared for this season before the community shield but we played so well in that i was lulled into a false sense of security - now i'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We played every match possible last season and we looked tired in the last few matches of the season, barely scrapping over the line in a lot of matches. The early start to the season hasn't helped as we clearly have a hangover from last season's exploits. Also the same 3 or 4 players seem be constantly picking up knocks so can't be relied upon to stay fit for any length of time, this in turn leads to other players having to play nearly every match, again leading to more injuries or poor performances from fatigue. We also lost 3 forward players and replaced with just Nunez, who needs time to settle, he may or may not work out, too early yet to know. We needed to bring in another midfielder as Milner, even with the injuries, shouldn't be starting any match outside of cup games and dead rubber CL games, he's fine for the last 10-15 minutes to help close out a match or give someone a rest.

After the Fulham game I was worried about the Palace match and even more worried when I saw both Philips and Milner starting. I have great time for Philips, gives his all, great attitude, but, very limited, surely Gomez could have started even if not fully fit, Philips could have came on in last 30 mins, same with Milner, surely Henderson could have started, even just the first half. Also where was Keita, surely he could have done 15-20 mins, what's the point in being on the bench if not fit to come on for a few minutes.

That 4 point gap to City might be too big already to bridge, realistically we need to take at least 4 points off City and also win against Chelsea & Spurs which we failed to do last season to have any chance of a title challenge. Would take any kind of win against United, points on the board more important now than performances, but, big improvement needed by everyone including Klopp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

When Nunez hits the post, the defender was right on him, I actually thought it would be an og if it went in, his red was clearly deserved.

Henderson got us moving and passing better when he came on.

We were playing quite well in the first half but simply didn't score. Phillips steps up a fraction too late and VVD could have come across a little more on Saha for his shot but sometimes you have to give the forward the credit for a great finish.

Some of Salah's first touches were quite good - but I don't think he was upto scratch at all- really should have scored.

Trent's passing was super but he needs Henderson behind him as cover for his defensive duties.

Only 2 games gone and we should not be too negative. Some would have us out of the title race already - ridiculous ott nonsnese. Next month Haaland could get injured and the same few will be back saying we are back in it - the shortsightedness after 2 games can be a tough read in here at times.

I don't like the long gaps between games at the moment but it does give time for a few to return from injury, so I'll take it.

United next - these games sometimes take on a League Positions Don't Matter type of vibe, but they are all over the place. If they play the usual 11, we should be beating them- no excuses. I don't see our available players destroying them, but there should be no question of anything other than a comfortable win. 9-0 agg last year and I think currently, they are actually worse. However, so are we.

Elliott could well be our main player next Monday and for the season. He has it. With continued game time I think he could be a major player for us this year. Get 2 or 3 players back from injuries and we should be back to playing and winning games like we are used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Damien360

I would be more worried that he gets a reputation, even when it’s not warranted based on one incident and referee’s will look for an easy excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nunez before last night had never had a red card but has had one suspension due to picking up yellow cards that was last season.

8 yellow cards in 41 games seems normal enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Haha, ah come on. Nunez smashed his forehead right into Anderson's face with venom. I have absolutely no idea how you are even comprehend that not being a red card LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Seeing Darwins ' head butt ' again it looks more like chesting between a small and nuch taller player. Darwin doesn't pull his head back alá ZZ but because of the height difference he contacted the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭doc_17

Your understanding of the word “firstly” is different than mine. Here’s a wee scenario….what would have happened had Andersen pushed a referee the way he pushed Darwin many times last night?

Yes, Darwin deserved his red. But next time that type of stuff happens to him he just needs to highlight it. It isn’t acceptable to go around pushing people in order to antagonise them.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What is this? Why on earth would Andersen push the referee?

It is absolutely acceptable for defenders to be physical with forwards. It is part of the game, it is what good defenders do including our own. There is nothing to highlight.

Nothing happened to him that won't happen to every forward in every game, and the better the forward is the more the defender is going to try physically dominate, Salah gets a lot of attention every game but never decides to throw his head into someone.

There is no excuse, it was stupidity.

A pity Nunez getting the red card has taken away how bloody good Elliott was last night.

19 year of age and totally dominated the game in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I thought Nunez played well, running behind the lines, in the box at all times with crosses and from what I have seen in the 2 sub appearances & last night, I think he will be a success.

However, his sending off is going to cause him problems in the future. Andersen played him well, lots of niggles and pushing & verbals, nothing wrong with that and Nunez reacted, it is a clear red and every defender will take that approach going forward.

The 2pts from 2 games is not necessarily the biggest problem, I think we are short in midfield since last summer; both Thiago and Keita are injury prone. we have Fab who has been brilliant for us but is still likely recovering from a hamstring and not back to his level, Hendo is solid and then Milner who would not start or be a sub for any other top 4 team.

After that we have potential; Elliot was excellent last night, Carvalho looks a player but unfair at 19yrs to think they will get us through the year. The Ox is rarely available and I do not rate Jones, I think he takes far too many touches for the way we play.

I think we need 2 good midfielders though I know we will not buy anyone. I think FSG have done a great job overall but in their eyes a top 4 is similar to winning the league under their business model.

Lots of teams have on paper improved such as Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle so I think City could drop more points than in the last few years.

I think we need to need to try and stay patient, I cannot see us getting to the ridiculous heights of 90pts but then only City are likely to do that. For now, it is a poor start but a win next Monday with a depleted squad will kickstart us, just need to manage our expectations. Personally I find it frustrating as Klopp is a generational manager and think it will be a lot different when he leaves so would prefer to spend this summer on a midfielder x 2 rather than wait.

He got sent off for Almeria in the 19/20 season, two yellows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Obviously Nunez didn’t mean any serious harm but come on, it’s a red all day.

It doesn’t matter how tall the other guy is or how easily he fell or anything, that motion by Nunez is an instant sending off. All he has to do is not react.

You can imagine the other centre backs now all looking forward to riling him up when we play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ah come on now. Let's not make it something it wasn't. He deserved his red card for stupidity more than anything.

I'd suggest people have seen very few real life head butts if they think that was a bad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This season has the feeling of 20/21. We went into that season short in CB, and after a few injuries to injury prone players we were in full blown crisis. We have started this season short in CM, and have already had injuries to a number of injury prone players. The fact that Thiago, Keita and Ox have not been available should be no surprise. It was vert predictable. Henderson will pick up injuries too. Not reinforcing in that position will make challenging for the league a tall order. Overall, I would say the squad is slightly weaker than last season. This is disappointing.

On Nunez - he is going to have to work hard to get back in Klopp's good book. I'm sure he is furious, as those types of red cards have not been a feature of this side in recent years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nunez left out of the starting line-up for a few weeks after his suspension.

Bright sparks from the first couple of games have been Trent, Elliot and Diaz, who all look very good. Carvalho looks like he will contribute too, but I don't think we can expect too much of him this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Anyone suggesting that we are out of the title race after 2 games should really take a break from watching football as its clearly not doing them any good. We were 14 points (2 games in hand I know) behind City in January last season and the title was decided with 10 minutes to go in the last game!

People really need to take deep breaths and calm down before posting these ridiculous reactionary comments. One poster on here last week after the Fulham game said, he was in his local watching it and there was lads looking for Klopp to be gone! Like FFS get a life. 

As many have pointed out Midfield is stacked but with players that aren't capable for numerous reason form age, ability to injuries

Next summer will do us a big favour

Perfect chance to complete an overhaul of sorts ,we will have Milner, Ox, Naby all out of contract & them wages available,

you'd expect us to sign 2 midfielders to replace the 3 of them

Also Firmino's contract is up , so replace him

The only issues is will the club spend that much money in one summer,

You cant compare a centre half pushing a shoving a centre forward to actually assaulting a referee 😲!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Everything is faster in the premier league so its not unexpected for a striker to take some time to get up to speed.

So no panic there , but I will say our 85m pound striker inability to kick the ball is worrying me ,he has had a few chances now and he just keeps duffing the ball . His confidence for a striker is poor too , when he got the ball back from the handball instead of turning and smashing it at goal he tried a really weird pass , I want my striker to be 100% of the time trying to score there .

The red , ah he is a kid and had the red mist descend , if it only happens the once , we will forgive and forget it fairly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

My own thoughts on the game, I thought we started very well. Plenty of possession and pressure. We didn't create a huge amount but I thought Nunez should have taken the one that came back off the post. Palace were well organised and had lots of numbers in defence. Felt they were helped by a lack of composure from us upfront and some aimless crossing.

As for the Palace goal, I had actually said it to a friend I was watching the game with that Palace would prob score from their first attack the way things have been going for us. Problem is with this high line of ours is that if we don't catch the player offside we are pretty powerless to prevent a goal unless the attacker messes up. Watching the replay of it when the Palace player who plays Zaha in is about to release the pass there is actually 2 other Palace players bombing forward. Our entire midfield and fullbacks are nowhere in sight. It's a 4 on 2 if he doesn't play that pass. We can't be having situations like that develop in games and it is not the first time I have noticed it. That goal was so simple to score and yet should have been simple to prevent.

What Nunez did was madness and he better learn fast. Stangely enough we upped our intensity after the sending off. Diaz goal was ridiculous. Think he gets criticised a little too much. He gets marked tightly, perhaps even tighter than Salah and is still finding his feet. He always looks busy and energetic. Salah was ok, his first touch was very impressive he just lacked that bit of magic last night.

Not going to dwell on the injury issue. We can't continue to blame bad luck. Quite a few of these players are regularly injured and have a long track record. When you are reliant on so many of them then it is inevitable injury crisis will happen. Don't agree with Klopp on this one. The club must accept the risks and therefore the responsibility when it goes in to a season with 3 very injury prone midfielders, another in his late 30's and 3 kids.

I don't expect a title challenge this season based on these 2 games. I actually thought we might set up a little differently this season but it doesn't seem to be the case. The longer a team plays the same system the more likely that opponents will adapt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

This is an old article but it’s got some good points around the whole time idea of signing someone for the sake of signing someone.

For what it’s worth, I would like to get a new CM in this season, but that’s mainly because our CMs are getting on and the area is due a refresh. I mean, a new midfielder wouldn’t have meant Nunez finishes his chances yesterday, or guarantees to fix our issue of conceding first.

We still have an excellent squad, with an annoyingly long injury list right now. Wouldn’t be writing anything off yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Are word on return date?

He is a big loss with Mane gone.

I agree, just wondering who was it on here that said we are out of the race, who are you and shamobuc reacting to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Too many people are listening to tabloid tv in Sky Sports

I was just following on from Shamobuc, but without going back through all the comments there was a least 2 posters who suggested it after the game last night. 16th of August and the title over, jasus......

Highest xG in the opening two games of the season than any other team.

Just not clinical at the moment.

That isn't uncommom with this team they have gone through spells like this in every season over the last few.

xG 4.58

The first 60 minutes against Fulham aside we haven't been dreadful this season, we definitely have played a lot worse than what went on last night and won by 2 or more in that past. Big difference seems to be this years is Fulham and Palace punished us and took their chances, where as we seem to do everything but put the ball in the net...last year teams were missing sometimes up to 2 maybe 3 clear 1on1 chances against us because of Ali, but the last 5 games of last season and now into this year teams are definitely becoming more clinical against us, which is not good obviously!! The defensive situation has to be addressed, how to do it I'm not so sure as our game is so heavily linked to the risky high defensive line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Why would Sky Sports be claiming Liverpool are out of the title race after 2 games? If there was 2 games remaining in the season and Liverpool were 6 points behind City and a goal difference of 10 goals worse than City, Sky Sports would still be pushing the narrative of there being a title fight.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sound bits gets clicks and that is all sky care about, get pundits to say something to get fans to click on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I remember reading a few comments and reading between the lines on another few.

I guarantee if we dont win next Monday that the pressure for a top 4 finish will be mentioned.

We all know just how long a season it is. There will be highs, lows, and many a twist and turn.

No one in here is happy to only have 2 points after 2 games but a win on Monday will settle a few nerves.

A loss..... let's not go there!

ITs the midfield, they are not protecting the back four well enough when we lose the ball, because we don't have any legs in there any more,

The goal last night came from a kick up field Ez controlled it and beat one player (Fab ) well into his own half & our two CB's where exposed that is far to easy to be getting at CB's

Our midfielder 3 last night was so slow over the ground , Fab looked stuck in the mud at times, then Milner is just to old now & Elliot is not there for his defence ability ,

I keep hearing us linked with Bellingham personally id prefer someone good in the tackle with legs & energy , the way we paly we need someone better at protecting passing lines & retaining the ball who can also run, Sounds a lot like what Gini done for us,

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

I thought Fab played well last night and elliot was excellent. The goal came from Zaha running Philips down. If Salah scores that goal the lads on sky would be purring for a month. That was an elite run and finish. If thats the quality required to score on us then we will be ok over the course of a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have to say the Zaha goal last night was unbelievable, he took it so well, and to beat Ali so up close was something else...

Love's a goal against us so he does...

• Advertisement

Elliot played well last night that is true but our midfield is light on legs,

Go watch the goal on youtube, Eza controls a kick out & while controlling it skips past Fab ,

At that moment freeze it he is half in his own half but look at where all the other players are, in front of him he has Zaha running off Philips and VVD , But he has two Palace players to his right slightly behind him , Trent & Robbo are the closet Liverpool players to him but both further back towards the Palace goal and very wide,

So basically a goal keeper kick , 1 touch to control & 1 touch past Fab deep in the Palace half & he is 2 on 2 with our CB with two palace lads closest after that, He also has 20 yard space to run into he chose to .

That is a dreadful set up from us,

The run , pass & finish are brilliant no question but how in the world are we that open when Eze is deep in his own half, from a goal keeper kick & two touches from the same player

Fab has to do better, i think he actually tried to kick Eze as he released he messed up but missed,

Also Philips makes a stupid error , as child your thought if there is no pressure on the man making the pass you DO NOT step up, you have to defend the space behind you, Philips steps up & the rest is history,

But the highline we play means we step up. VVD was in the opposition half I think, Phillips steps up, as he is told to do. He was just a fraction too slow. We have been catching players offside like this for quite some time.

I'm not so sure it's a simple as that, Elliot was excellent on his duties and whilst Milner didn't do anything special, he was not a fault for any of the counters Palace hit us with last night. I feel a lot of teams are now willing to take the risk and commit more men forward against us to catch us on the counter. The risk reward strategy of catching teams off-side non stop seems to be running its course. Look where Zaha and Eze were making runs from last night, practically on the half way line and starting their run 2/3 yards on side making it very hard to catch out....where's before, strikers or wingers would be on the shoulder and our centre half's would step up. With teams making the runs from deep it becomes a real lottery trying to catch them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

No team can catch the opponent offside 100% of the time. When it doesn't work for us we generally leave a 1v1 every time. Those chances are taken more often than not. Teams don't need many chances against us to score which tells me when we give up a chance it is often a good one. They are not half chances they are good chances where you favour a team to score.

My issue isn't the high line as such, it is that it doesn't take much for the opposition to get into the position to slide a ball through. My issue was the lack of protection and the absence of a midfield to close the passing lanes between both cb's. By all means let them play the low percentage balls down the sides or floating in the air. They atleast give a cb a chance to get back.

I really don't see what this extremely high line is doing for us. I agree with yourdeadwright on this point. The midfield we had against Palace was not mobile enough to make it a strength. We have lost our defensive solidity and always have a few scares every game regardless of opposition. I am more concerned about the cheap goals we concede than not taking enough of our chances.

Which is what Henderson does - he gives us the extra defensive cover that Milner/jones/whoever doesn't. He is very good at it. Sometimes you only notice some of the work he does, when he doesn't play. Fab was not exactly Fab for the goal either of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement