Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

That was stated by US general Milley..

It set up the whole 'The Russians are useless' propaganda campaign..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Utter strawman nonsense.

This is up there with the Russians saying it was only a feint.

The Russians can't keep their lies straight.

They dropped their elite paratroops in to take Hostomel airport and link up with advancing troops.

How long were the paratroops expected to hold for?

What were they be doing there for a feint, offered as sacrificial lambs?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭amandstu

After the complete madness of the invasion itself (and the earlier interference in neighbouring countries) it did imo make sense to "go for the jugular " and seize Kiev **

But for Zelensky's bravery and sang froid it may well have paid off as a gamble.

A huge disaster thereafter to have exposed Russia's military weakness and apparent incompetence to the world.

**would also have created a space in history for Putin as some patriotic tactical and strategic genius instead of the squalid nationalistic thug we know and despise .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

So you are suggesting that Russia now occupies more Ukrainian territory than on 25 March?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

But the UK did create, own and govern Modern Ireland for 800 years didn't they? We recognised Britain as the current rulers of the island when we negotiated and signed for their withdrawal with the Anglo Irish Treaty. As part of this agreement the Free State agreed to allow the British Navy to use its ports and for the 6 counties to vote to secede from the new state. They weren't palatable but they were honoured. Apart from that there were no other "forever" commitments signed by us.

Ukraine on the other hand was founded only on the basis with a signed commitment to NEVER join a military bloc due its unique and diverse ethnic population and its proximity to a nuclear power. This reassured the Soviets (as the recognised current rulers of the region) that Ukraine would never pose a security threat to the Russian state. Ukraine recognised its strong historic ties to Russia in language, culture and history by including this commitment in its founding document.

• Advertisement

Russian propaganda already rebutted twice on the thread.

Russia signed the Budapest agreement with Ukraine and the NATO-Russia Founding Act which supersedes whatever a Ukranian state soviet had to do to get the USSR to honour its own constitution. In Budapest Ukraine made all assurances sufficient to satisfy Russia. The latter agreement expressly permits Ukraine as a sovereign state to make its own security arrangements.

The UK would not have the right to revert to claim the use of the ports because they signed a subsequent treaty with Ireland in 1937 reverting their use back to Ireland.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119450313/#Comment_119450313

1. No I do not admit that at all. Its a fact. As I said in my post, if Russia was in the process of joining NATO then there would have been no objection to Ukraine joining as NATO would no longer be a security threat to Russia. When it became apparent that Russia and NATO were moving further and further apart the neutrality of Ukraine became a necessity once again as it would pose a threat to Russian security. Just as Cuba having missiles from a belligerent power stationed so close to the US would pose a threat to US security.

2. So the US lied to Ukraine when they signed the charter is what you are saying. Because I would hope that Zelensky didn't sacrifice 100 thousand of his soldiers based on a lie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We were at war with the British Gov continuously and there were many uprising to testify this, and that refutes accepting them as 'owners'.

If a thief were to steal something, then that thief is never the 'owner'. If the item can be identified by me as being my property, then, without time limit, I can reclaim it.

NI partition was created by the Government of Ireland prior to the treaty creating what is now Ireland, so was not part of the status quo at the time of the treaty. The treaty, however, was signed under the threat of 'terrible war'. Hardly a free choice.

"The latter agreement expressly permits Ukraine as a sovereign state to make its own security arrangements."

Where in the Budapest agreement does it expressly say this? There is nothing in the Budapest agreement or the NATO-Russia founding act that even references the status of Ukraine's neutrality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No. They did not create "Modern Ireland" nor did they own and govern it for 800 years. They governed parts of it for various lengths of time, though only governed it all for a few hundred years. Ireland always had its own identity and nationalist movement however and it was never within the auspices of the UK to "create" it.

Ireland agreed to be a Dominion of the United Kingdom, then just decided not to be all on its own post founding I might add.

Ukraine was not "founded" at the collapse of the Soviet Union any more than Ireland was founded in 1922 or all nations of Europe were founded following the collapse of the Napoleonic Empire, or France was founded following 1944.

Also the USSR doesn't exist anymore, so Ukraine has no responsibility towards it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

"It's a fact" - so you are saying Russia signed their agreement with NATO in bad faith?

And you are saying that Putin lied?

As regards Cuba, are you also suggesting that the US is reasonably entitled to commit genocide in Cuba to force Cuba to do what the US wants?

As regards the US "lying", why do you think the Ukrainians would be so stupid as to believe that a country currently under occupation would actually be allowed to join NATO - are you really suggesting their entire political, military and state are gullible hicks?

The USSR Constitution permits republics to leave. Therefore the USSR was in breach of its own constitution in placing permanent conditions on Ukraine's withdrawal.

Russia signed the Budapest agreement with Ukraine and the NATO-Russia Founding Act

The Budapest agreement, given that it dealt with the Ukrainian military capacity, did not enforce neutrality, and therefore implicitly permits Ukraine as an independent sovereign country to join blocs. The agreement respects Ukrainian independence and sovereignty.

Every sovereign nation has the right to choose its own security arrangements.

When Russia signed the NATO-Russia Founding Act, it also pledged to uphold "respect for sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of all states and their inherent right to choose the means to ensure their own security".

Ukraine is a sovereign nation, which Russia recognised in the Budapest agreement, without restriction on its ability to form alliance.

Ukraine is a sovereign nation, which therefore is in the scope of the commitments Russia gave to sovereign Euro-Atlantic states in the NATO-Russia Founding Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

This is just about the most nonsensical take on Irish history that I have seen. For a start, 800 years prior to 1922, the UK did not exist. Neither did Modern Ireland. (Ever hear of the distinction between Modern and Medieval?). Looking at medieval anywhere though a Modern lens gets you nowhere.

You refer to the Free State allowing the use of the Treaty Ports. You forgot the analogy with Ukraine, which, following the end of the USSR allowed the Russian navy to use Sebastopol. I hope that when this war is over that this Treaty Port will be Ukrainian

Really kicked a hornets nest responding to Podges Ireland comparison didn't I. Of course I know the UK didn't exist for 800 years. Of course I know we didn't recognise the brits as Owners. The same goes for every other pedantic observation made by all 4 of you.

My point was that when countries sign agreements with each other there is an implicit recognition that the region being negotiated is currently under control of one of the parties to the agreement. The brits in Irelands case and Russia in Ukraines case. The point is that if Ireland agreed to allow the Brits to use the ports forever we would have to abide by what we signed. We renegotiated in 1938 to change this commitment.

The Ukraine committed to stay neutral when it left the Soviet Union. If it didn't it would be a threat to the security of Russia. It was created on the basis that it would never be a threat to the security of Russia. There has been no pact since the formation of the state that would allow it to renege on this commitment.

Post edited by bobowen on

Ukraine signed no agreement or commitment as a country with the USSR committing it to neutrality. Its state republic government made a declaration - a declaration it did not have to even make as the USSR constitution permitted Ukraine to leave freely. This declaration has no legal or moral force.

Any such declaration is therefore moot and entirely superseded by the Budapest and NATO-Russia Founding agreements. Given that the Budapest agreement specifically dealt with Ukrainian military capabilities, and the threat of such capabilities to Russia, it is entirely pertinent that there was no mention of Ukraine having to be militarily neutral.

It's obvious you have no response to the points put to you so have to engage in deflection about 'hornets nest' and 'pedantic observations'.

We can be sure we'd be hearing all about the 'pedantic observations' if the Budapest or NATO-Russia Founding agreements did place restrictions on the ability of sovereign and independent former SSRs in their security arrangements. But it does not.

The US recognises the sovereignty of every nation in the Americas but reserves the right through the Monroe doctrine to intervene if their actions threaten America's security. Iran is a sovereign nation but Israel and America forbid them to have nuclear weapons.

Do you seriously think that if Mexico were to join a Russo/Chinese military bloc the US would not intervene militarily?

Or if the Russians and Chinese funded, armed and trained the Mexican army that the US would not also intervene militarily?

Or if the Russians and Chinese funded biological labs in Mexico that the US would not also intervene militarily? (Victoria Nuland of the State department has admitted to congress that these existed in Ukraine so please don't ban me for this statement).

Of course they would. Its the way powerful countries with nuclear weapons act. To criticise Russia for doing what the US would have also done if confronted with the same situation on its border is pure hypocrisy.

I seem to have missed the US invasion of Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Ireland agreed to remain as a Dominion of the United Kingdown with their Sovereign as our Sovereign. Then we just changed our mind and made our constitution and told them to piss off.

Did you also miss the fact that if it wasn't for Kruschev turning the ships around the world would have had a nuclear war because our Irish hero Kennedy had his finger on the button ready to kill millions of people in order to "guarantee" America's security?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Yes, well, so, and? I fail to see the Ukraine connection here.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

Really. Do you not?

Cuba is basically on the border of America. Ukraine is on the border of Russia. The US reserves the right to start a Nuclear armageddon if anyone tries to put military bases on their border threatening their security. Why shouldn't Russia be able to protect their security if other countries put military bases on their border? Quite simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

This thread is about the Ukraine and not Cuba, Kennedy, or Castro and the commies. Comparing Ukraine to Cuba is naive and not much more.

Dan.

Egg Zack Lee.

There is a German saying that is pertinent here. Had, had, bicycle chain.

Can't refute the hypocrisy of condemning Russia for something that the US does as a rule?

Someone claimed that Ukraine is a sovereign nation and Russia should not have a say in its affairs. I was saying America recognises nations as sovereign but also interferes in their affairs. Its relevant because America is a belligerent actor in the Ukrainian conflict.

And now, having lost the argument in relation to the USSR Constitution, Budapest Agreement and NATO-Russia Founding Act, you engage in full blown whataboutery.

Mexico wouldn't do that because the US has given it no reason to do so. Unlike Russia with Ukraine and its repeated invasions and violations of agreements.

Notice how you jumped from earlier talking about Cuba to now talking about Mexico... because you realised how much you had cut the legs out from under your own argument.

The US and USSR came to an agreement re: the stationing of nuclear weapons on Cuba.

Which is what Ukraine did in the Budapest Agreement as well as other strategic weaponry and committed to not allowing on its territory:  the development, testing, production, stockpiling, stationing, transfer, use of nuclear weapons

And in the NATO-Russia Founding Act NATO committed to:

The members of NATO reiterate their statement of 10 December 1996 that they have no intention, no plan and no reason to deploy nuclear weapons on the territory of new members, nor any need to change any aspects of NATO's nuclear posture or nuclear policy - and do not foresee any future need to do so.

NATO also reiterates its 14 March 1997 Statement indicating that in the current and foreseeable security environment, NATO plans to carry out its collective defence and other missions by ensuring the necessary interoperability, integration and capability for reinforcement rather than by additional permanent stationing of substantial combat forces

And maybe you didn't get the memo, but Russia already had borders with NATO countries, which just got expanded with Finland.

Russia had all the security assurances it warranted or needed without invading Ukraine.

This war has nothing to do with Ukraine joining NATO but was a direct Russian attack on Ukrainian territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence. Invading Ukraine is the #1 thing leading to a shift in the above NATO positions, and as we have seen, formerly neutral countries realising Russia does not respect neutrality and joining NATO for collective defence.

This war has nothing to do with Ukraine joining NATO

Not least because they haven't and nor was it imminent. By this logic Russia only has a few weeks left to start its invasion of Finland before its in NATO...

And by the logic of a certain poster that would be fine.

For the hard of thinking:

Russia has no justification in this war. If you disagree, just read this statement again.

"And now, having lost the argument in relation to the USSR Constitution, Budapest Agreement and NATO-Russia Founding Act, you engage in full blown whataboutery."

This is your MO basically. Start off by saying you have won an argument when nothing of the sort has happened. Lets recap.

I said Budapest and the NATO-Russia founding act only talked about respecting sovereignty. Nothing about Ukraines neutrality.

You said sovereignty gives Ukraine the right to not be neutral.

I said sovereignty does not give Ukraine that right as its on the border of a nuclear power. I then provided you with examples of the US recognising the sovereignty of other nations but still interfering with them militarily if it threatened their security. Cuba for one.

You then claim whataboutery, the ultimate off ramp tactic of someone who has no logical response to the contradiction in their argument.

Nobody doesn't throw paratroopers so deep on enemy area unless there is serious reason for that.Because they all simply will be killed without support.

The reason for so risky operation was information that Kyiv regime has equipment for producing nuclear weapons which been brought by biggest plane in the world Mria which been burned there.After area been inspected the paratroopers immediately left area due with high risk get killed.

The only members of high elite Russian Speznaz and special antiterrorist forces been used in this operation.

One of the reasons of Russian invasion to Ukraine was Zelenskii speech on one of meetings in Europe ( I think Prague) were he said Ukraine gona create own nuclear weapons again.

By some experts opinions Zelenskii was thinking using nuclear weapons on Donbas what could help him clean area from separatist and prevent Russian army invasion due with high level of radiation.

This and more Zelenskii ideas made Putin invade to Ukraine.

If somebody doesn't believe it simply think about why Russians taking so huge risk came to Gostomel airport and why left it.

@bobowen

You argument just boils down to the approval of bully boy tactics.

There is absolutely no legal justification for this invasion. You know that. All you're left with is "might is right".

So, if Ukraine manages to throw Russia out by it's own might, then this will be acceptable to you, if course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

The bizarre premise of this post seems to be that since Russia ''made'' Ukraine, it retains the right to ''unmake'' it at its pleasure. No country on earth would regard that constraint on its independence as tolerable and, note, that as soon as it could, Ireland began to remove the links that bund it to the UK, culminating in the declaration of the Republic in 1949. No colonial power save Russia reserves the right to interfere in its former colonies to the extent of armed intervention.

Advertisement