Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Grill August 2022 - Did you go and what did you think?

Options
  • 16-08-2022 1:56pm

I did not go, but heard a review on Newstalk utterly destroying it. The guest complained about the queues to the stalls in term of the length of time it took.

Also she attended an on-site podcast.

I visited the big grill website, I signed up for marketing just for the laughs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wasn't there myself this year but have been in the past... wouldn't mind a listen - can you recall when the interview was on \ what show was it on Newstalk?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

They had too many people and it took up to 45 minutes to get food at a food festival???, again greed taking over as it is with everything this summer. Everyone trying to make up for the two lost years instead of forgetting about them, and giving folks a great day out. They are all pricing them selves out of customers for the next year when it comes around.. The only honest out door event is the ploughing as i have found things there from the horse show in the RDS 25% cheaper at the ploughing. RDS will be an astronomical rip off too wait & see its usually badly over priced but this year will be epic. Wait & see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Did you go to the Big Grill this year yourself?

I’m curious were there long queues for all the stalls or just the big names.

Other years it was great, a shame if it’s true about this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

I went, didn't eat all that much as the Q's were outrageous and with 2 small kids couldn't disappear for that long. Pretty much all the stalls had massive lines that were crazy. A friend that came with us probably had a 45min wait for ribs and a burger.

Good buzz around the place, but seemed more booze orientated as there didn't seem all that many stalls. We went previous years and you might be waiting a couples of mins for the food to be prepped and served. Glad they ditched the currency racket though and let you just tap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

That's very frustrating about the long queues and absolutely a legitimate complaint. Too many tickets sold or comped. It would put me off going next year.

Not sure about the guy who went along but didn't order any food as he doesn't like eating off paper plates / sitting on the ground though ... Did he not know what he was getting into?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I went to this a few years back and the whole currency thing left a bad taste in my mouth as you're left with like 5 or 6 euros worth of their currency and everything in the place costs at least 7 or 8. Its structured in such a way that the house always wins and you end up walking out with your money in their pockets for nothing in return becasue they dont let you exchange it for cash on the way out. So it was a one way currency exchange all set up in their favour and thats after paying a ticket price in to then pay for food. Not being able to get the value of your currency back on exit felt like a scam to me so I never went back and Id be a fan of BBQ and would have went every year otherwise but I wasnt having that bad taste of having my pocket dipped on the way out.

I know someone above said they have done away with the currency thing I still wouldnt go back. The other thing was we showed up at 7pm on a Friday and the corporate crowd had already been in there since 5pm and had eaten at least half of all outlets out of food so there was very little choice. I had two stalls picked out that I wanted to eat from and both had no food left at 7pm so ended up eating something I wasnt craving.

Had friends go to it this year and like others above they complained about the long queues and felt the organisers got greedy by selling too many tickets. That didnt surprise me given their track record on the currency shenanigans. They said they wont be going back either, it was a waste of their time as it took over an hour to get fed and thats after paying almost 100 euro in for the four of them. They said it was a shambles and felt ripped off.

Advertisement