Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I always thought it was heavily hinted that he left because Walt Jr. was born with cerebral palsy, and Walt needed a more stable job with better insurances etc. Grey Matter was still just a start-up at the time.

We saw a flashback to him and Skyler viewing the house when it was for sale while Skyler was heavily pregnant with Junior, but Walt felt the house was too small and that if Grey Matter took off they could get a better house. It's implied that Junior being born with CP meant they took the house and Walt sold his stock in Grey Matter, shortly before it really took off and became a huge company.

Walt feels like Gretchen and Elliot stole Grey Matter from him and are profiting off his work, but it's really just resentment at the missed opportunity and the mundane life and career he ended up with, and knowing that if he'd just managed to stick it out even with Junior's condition, they would have been much better off.

Edit: Ignore me. I'm wrong. Just googled and Walt was working at a different lab during the flashback when Skyler was pregnant with Junior. Vince Gilligan apparently confirmed that the reason Walt left Grey Matter prior to that was he felt inferior to Gretchen and her wealthy family, broke up with her and then left Grey Matter. Gretchen and Elliot got together after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

A glorious hour of slippin', I'll feel odd now for awhile. Saul gone indeed.

Right want to do a full run through now of BB and BCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

They should edit all season of BB and BCS into one movie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Very strong ending. As commented above, the core of the show was about the character of Jimmy / Saul / Gene and that's why these final episodes were important. It got back to who he was and this episode showed him stripping back the layers and accepting he can be Jimmy again. Only Kim could have achieved that honest moment.

Speaking of which, how beautiful was the cinematography that only when she met him, could there be a little bit of light in his life again? The show ended perfectly on note for Saul, without the more abrupt brutal endings achieved in its parent show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Loved it.

A little bit of flair, some very nice gentle moments (particularly Mike's Time Machine), and a very satisfying ending for the man himself.

A very special show. Not as exciting as Breaking Bad, but probably a more meticulously written show overall.

Didn't think this show could deliver what it managed to over those six seasons.

It's Saul Gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,706 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I think she does on the last scene before she goes through the gate looks like her index and middle finger pointing down with the thumb out.

I think she really loves Jimmy she worked out a plan to get back into see him. Also she is barely holding it together as she walks through the Prison yard.

she also isn't married to Mr Yup Yup no wedding band, her shorter hair and smart clothes says she is gone back into the legal profession probably doing the free legal aid career she wanted.

Well worth watching a second time and my appreciation hasn't demisinshed a fine ending to the Breaking Bad Universe

Good ending. My only minor gripe is that they stuck with the black and white. That suit deserved come colour.

Final episode review and breakdown from Pete Peppers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

A tidy rather than great ending. I preferred the last season in BCS to the Breaking Bad's last season where it became totally unrealistic. The writers are very talented so I hope they leave the BB universe alone now, it has no longer any more storylines to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭the 12 th man

Great show,have to say Mike was my favourite character in both this and BB,my only gripe with BCS were the first series episodes based around Chuck's home hideout which I found boring but other than that BCS was/is brilliant.

It finished quite well but glad to see the back of it at this stage. A few episodes were a slog. The journey wasn't worth the decent pay off. Strange to say I'll think twice about watching another Vince Gilligan show again considering how much I love breaking bad. He does love a good pointless heist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Just catching up on episodes now. An appearance from Buzz Mccallister!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Ozvaldo

id have preferred if he got away with it and got the 7 year sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

What a show, unmatched by any other currently running IMHO with incredible quality in every department from start to finish, I’m sad it’s all over now. It has been a brilliant companion piece to Breaking Bad (which still remains my favourite of the 2 shows) while carving out its own story and is a beautiful way to finish out the Breaking Bad story with Vince Gilligan saying he and Peter Gould have their own plans to do something else from here.

It’s all good man 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

when the cast said their piece at the end I had a tear in my eye, my wife was looking at me funny! it's the end though and bloody hell I'll miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I do remember him from that show but I’ll always most associate him with “Beverly Hills Cop”, where he gave a memorable turn as the bad guy’s main henchman. Best part of 40 years ago now!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭rodders999

He gets the greatest deal of all time - a mere 7 years - and throws it all away on hearing Kim may be the subject of a civil suit by Howard’s wife?

Was it confirmed Kim was actually going to be sued or was it just a possibility?

It’s not like Kim has much wealth anyway, she’d be happy with 3 square meals a day and volunteering at the free legal aid place so I’m not sure what sort of impact being found guilty in a civil case would even have on her.

With good behaviour he could have been out in even less time and come to her aid financially if need be.

Loved the episode (and the whole series) but just thought Jimmy’s reason for tearing up an incredible deal lacked logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,173 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

He was also doing it to finally take responsibility for his actions because Kim, when he challenged her on it, did exactly that. It wasn't just to save her but also to show her he could change - it's why he also confessed about Chuck, even though it had nothing to do with the case.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t think Jimmy’s big decision was motivated by protecting Kim, but more a big character decision to finally be honest, stop running and do the right thing. In the presence of maybe the only person who ever truly cared for him, he opted to finally stop lying and face the consequences of his actions (remember: the plea deal itself was based on a shameless lie).

Yes, he’ll spend his life in prison, but it was the only real option for him to find peace and, crucially, redeem himself in front of Kim. And it allowed them to finally make amends and share a genuine moment together again, even if it was in a high security prison :)

Interesting Rhea and Bob discussing fan theories back in July some were close (especially the second last theory)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Great ending to a great show

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well that episode was completely different to what I expected especially with him being arrested so early.

I think I need time for everything to sink in but my initial reaction is that it was a perfect ending to a damn near perfect show.

Odenkirks’s performance in this was fantastic as he switched between 3 characters and killed off 2 and funds redemption by going back to he originally was and by helping his only true friend and love. Brilliant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What was the significance of him using his call to ring Cinnabon and discuss the schedule and tell the girl to tell HQ to find a new manager? Were they trying to show how he was on his own and had nobody close to call (and therefore setting the context for his rehabilitation)?

I took it to mean it was the end of his Gene persona and as his last task as Gene before he killed him off he made sure the staff covered his work and made sure they contacted Head office for a new manager. He kind of slips into Saul mode then with him working the system he knows inside out and eventually he kills off Saul and we are back to James McGill

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

A fine bittersweet ending.

Loved the impromptu chanting on the prison bus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The episode had a real driving force behind it. Nice personal touch from Mike at the start about the time machine, later on Charles had a copy of that Wells book. Marie's appearance was a pleasant surprise too and Betsy Brandt really brought it home. 1 vs 7 in that scene as Oakley didn't say a peep. Typical form from Walter White with his demeaning comment. All aboard Wayfarer Air, hello BB. Nice little detail of the framing of shot of the exit sign in the courtroom, not that Saul was going to walk, but it certainly tied into him upending proceedings and all that. I was wondering how much he'd throw the judge's mindset. Happy to see Kim come back to the law, sealed by a cigarette.

I'm not into this constant comparing of BB vs BCS as I don't see the point, the finale aside. For me, we once again got to see Gilligan and Gould's brains at work and I feel very lucky in that regard, and with the cast too. Such a well-oiled machine that consistently delivered and unafraid of delivering a few jolts. Now there's a big BCS hole in the TV landscape, and only speedy justice for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Just perfect , like breaking bad each season got better which is so rare and it really feels like they had the ending sorted from the start

would have loved if they just finished with them smoking and fade to credits .

Post edited by peteeeed on

Advertisement