Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times looking for Landlords to have their say

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Housing99

Landlords today are the ones who got the easy credit from the celtic tiger or else bought way back when a house went for the price of a car. Im from a generation that is locked out of buying in Dublin due to costs and lending rules

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Around 1% of mortgages newly issued are for BTL. The same lines you are using were used by every generation. Interest rates to high , no jobs , inflation etc... etc. Nothing new just a different time. People complain then buy somehow and move on with their lives.

Home Ownership among younger generations has collapsed and is well below what it was in previous 3 generations

Also in the past those who couldn't buy lived in social housing not in private rents, we actually worked for 2 decades to remove the tenements and landlords after the election of 1932

So this current situation, of working people forced to rent has not been seen on this scale since the 1930s. But by all means keep pretending its fine, that attitude is why my generation are going to put Sinn Fein into power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭notAMember

My point is that if it's a business, then there's an income expected / earned. You are flipping back and forth between it being a business and not in each post.

Don't really know what hysterics or drama you are talking about tbh. I'm not struggling to cope financially or otherwise, as income from commercial tenants propped up the damage from my most recent residential tenant. The tenants didn't like living there with the rotten wet mouldy stinky kitchen they created, so they left. Replacing a whole kitchen and the damaged plaster etc behind it effectively forced me to knock and move an internal wall, which according to the current rules, allowed me to let out at market rate again, more than doubling my intake. Am I inconvenienced by some idiots wrecking a kitchen, yeah sure. but I didn't have to evict anyone, and can now reset to city center market rate. I’m in a reasonable position where I can absorb those shocks. Most small landlords cannot. Added bonus, that increased rental yield also increases the resale value of the property with a sitting tenant , so I can now actually sell it if I want to.

I take zero pleasure in that btw. I see that's a really stupid and almost immoral system we have now, which effectively incentives me to utterly gouge the market when I can. Back in the old days before the regs I would have been happy to take a tenant I found capable, and let it out at well under the market rate. I had agreements to reduce rent for tenants who did no damage and who I didn't have to pester. Now, I'm incentivized by law to maximise what I charge, and penalised heartily if I don't, because who knows when the rules change next. I'd be a fool to let it out for less.

But that's what the baying mob want. A completely asinine broken system that makes it harder and more expensive for both renters and suppliers. You got what you demanded. Happy yet?

Yep a great party to vote in. The rich will pay for everything. The money will fall from the sky. Just look at how well they have managed Northern Ireland with actual free money from whitehall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So this current situation, of working people forced to rent has not been seen on this scale since the 1930s. But by all means keep pretending its fine, that attitude is why my generation are going to put Sinn Fein into power

Masses of people also emigrated in those times that you are reminiscing for. Many more died younger than they would have nowadays. Our economy has prospered to thepoint that people are coming into this country to seek work. As a consequence, we have far more demand for the housing stock which has added pressure on those looking.

As for putting SF into power, what exactly do you think they will do to make things any different? Remember that it is very easy to hurl from the ditches and a lot harder to come up with a plan that will actually work and give SF the recognition by the time the next election comes around.

How come Fianna Fail built social housing for most of the population of Dublin in the 1930s - 50s if it cant be done now? My grandmother was born in one such housing estate in Kimmage, my mother in one in Crumlin. My parents lived in another one in Crumlin in the early 80s before buying. My aunts and uncles in the 80s and 90s lived in ones scattered from Tallaght to Finglas. All worked and had a secure home. Why was it possible then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Again, you were the one to start using the word "business". I merely responded to your post and put the word into quotes in my response.

After me mentioning it once, it suddenly became "unclear" to you. So I explained to you that it is your choice how you run your own things and explained that there were no laws preventing you from setting up a business structure if you want.

I suspect some correlation between your apparent inability to follow a simple flow and your difficulties managing as a "landlord".

I think the reason we are not providing housing is the older generation of FF and FG voters oppose it as they own their own homes and supply would reduce the worth of those assets and secondly they are disconnected from the reality of what life is like for young people and buy into the avocado toast fallacy.

Sinn Feins voter base is young and renters so the interests they represent are the opposite

In 1932 the entire Irish media and ruling class had the same tactics against the first Fianna Fail government who had similar policies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What a terrifying thought, SF in power.

You always have to be careful of stats. It's true the wages to house price difference is bigger than in previous generations but it's not the reason young people aren't buying homes.

The main reason for young people not buying houses is they aren't getting married as young. My parents generation were married with two kids by 25. This generation is not getting married until 35+.

So you are really not in the market to settle down with a family home until late 30's.

That report is based on young people 24-34 buying homes between 2004-2019. In 2004 average age to get married was 30-32 ( so a big chunk of newly weds in that group looking to buy). But by the time 2019 comes along the average age was 35-37. Which pushes all those newly weds out of the study group of 25-34.

It's also worth noting that there was a glut of below cost houses on the market from 2009 to 2015. If young people wanted to buy into the market that was the once in a generation golden opportunity. That previous buyers never got.

Social housing is a need, but I don't think we need to be building houses for single 24 year olds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

To explain in simple terms a landlord with one property for 20-30yrs is doing none of the above. There have been no rules or laws changes in their favor and they've been through a recession and at least one property crash. They aren't setting the rent the market is and/or the govt is through economic policy/rental caps. The resources weren't scarce when they bought them. Which is how they were able to buy them.

Then they are leaving just when rents are highest and supply is scarce.

I think the reason we are not providing housing is the older generation of FF and FG voters oppose it as they own their own homes and supply would reduce the worth of those assets and secondly they are disconnected from the reality of what life is like for young people and buy into the avocado toast fallacy.

Maybe you're right: I don't know. However, reminiscing about years gone by is somewhat futile unless you also want to pine for the massive under-investment back then in healthcare, education and social welfare. Assuming that various political parties are simply out to get you without any evidence is also a waste of ones time.

Sinn Feins voter base is young and renters so the interests they represent are the opposite

Yeah, that's great but you're still not attempting to describe for me how SF will fix the housing issues you face within their term of government. Go on, have a go at it!

Im 29 and dont want to get married and due to mental health doubt I ever could.

I earn 40,000 a year. Am I meant to rent for life without security?

And also my family home was bought on 1 income in the 80s

We discussed your ability to get a property within your price range in your last thread and my advice was to look slightly further from Dublin. You mentioned something closer to your price range somewhere near Tallaght if I recall (but still more that you could afford). Looking even a little further out you might pick up something. However, just because you can't afford to buy where you want to live does not mean that the government should change policy and give free houses to everyone.

As for the 80s, they were a sh1t time. High taxes, high unemployment and hig emigration. Things were very different in so many ways.

Sinn Fein could resolve the housing crisis by

Building another Tallaght sized town of social and affordable houses in every city in Ireland, areas all over Fingal would be suitable for this

Bringing in new rental laws that a landlord can only sell with tenants in situ and must sell to another landlord who will maintain the leases (or the councils)

Make rental tenancies life long from the start of the tenancy

Put into law that all rentals are unfurnished and have the right to pets as a law (so its the tenants to decorate and do what they want with)

Cap all rents at 1/3rd the average income in the post code its located in for a 1 bed and 1/3rd two incomes average for larger properties

Have a asset transition law based on the land acts of the late 19th and early 20th century to transfer tenancies to tenants over time

State guarantees to pay the rent of pensioners who have been in the rental market for more than 20 years through a tax on rental property, that removes the greatest fear of my generation as it stands, being homeless in old age or never retiring

I cannot see any other way we can ensure working people have housing security given our current situation and the alternative is having 1 million pensioners in housing insecurity in the coming decades

No govt wants to raise taxes to pay for the social building or the costs of managing social tenants. That's why they outsourced it in the first place. To save money. But that only works in the short term.

I'm open to correction but afaik SF can't balance the budget they are proposing to fix housing. What they've suggested thus far has LLs heading for the exit which has made the crisis slightly worse.

Ignoring the delusional aspect to it, any idea how much this would all cost and who would pay for it?

For the record, Im working a second job, saving 2000 a month and have a loan coming from family. I expect to buy by early 2024 but it would have to be in Drogheda. Meaning having no social networks around me and spending 90 minutes commuting. Its **** but Im too terrified of getting old renting and ending up on the streets that its what must be done. But its not right that it is this way and we need radical change

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This is a fundamental issue for a stable society; and the government has got it wrong time and time again.

Imagine if Irish people could put their energy into businesses, art, science, education instead of worrying themselves to death and working to death to pay for this **** fest FFG has fostered over so many years.

The people who should be having kids who can nurture kids/society are not having kids, having them way too late, getting pets instead ... It's absolutely nuts.

I'd also be very, very wary of any kind of independence journalism from the Irish Times, with respect to housing.

• Advertisement

The same way they did in the past a large tax on income and a healthy deficit. A return to Keynesianism

Almost every Western Country was run on that basis and provided these things between 1945 and 1980

I'd love to be able to sell with tenants in situ. Even when the council (who pay the rent) buy a house they insist the tenant (which is theirs) is kicked out first.

I'd be all on for long term contracts, fair and sustainable rental market where you rent the property and then mind it.

But the Whole thing is screwed by SF and the other populists that insist that landlords can't remove tenants that stop paying rent. Very often landlords sell after a bad tenant has left them 10-20k in debt thanks to the lack of an ability to remove non paying tenants.

In the UK the have a simple and cheap system where a judge rules and if the tenant is to be removed. Court appointed bailiffs go, take them out, change the locks and give the property back.

Here it takes about two years.

Until that's in place, landlords will always need a way out.

Well that depends on what you see as a lesser evil, homeless people or landlords taking a hit

Realistically the only way we can have easy evictions is if we have old Ballymun type empty properties for those non rent payers to be moved to, otherwise they end up homeless and in emergency accommodation

But I personally never missed a months rent when I rented and moved home when I was made temp unemployed during covid.

I will be honest I care little for non payers or the unemployed, my concern is for me and others like me who got educated, earn an middle income (35 - 50k) and are locked out of owning a home in Dublin or other cities and are forced to live at home or house share if single

In most of the cases it's not that they can't pay, it's that they won't. I'm taking about two income families bringing in over 100k just stop paying rent. 18 months later they move somewhere else and repeat. No accountability, no support for the landlords. They just have to take the hit and sell up.

I moved to another city, then moved to the suburbs, then to the countryside to afford a house I could buy. Great community, far better than anywhere else I've lived. So it's worked out great.

It's a Shame there is such a push to shove people into apartments and estates where no-one knows the person 2 doors down.

Of course those who dont make within HAP limits should not be allowed stay rent free or be given emergency accommodation.

The housing crisis is this country anyway is people having to rent instead of owning, the reason landlords are hated is because the people renting today would have never been in that position before the crash

Id argue a lot worse, the only thing I can think of better is cheap flights

My parents had a better standard of living as they had a home (and not having the deal with the shame that renting brings in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I really just dont understand why they wont take EU structural loans in the hundreds of billions like other nations do.

When last I checked we were the third most indebted per capita in the world. Why would anyone give little Ireland hundreds of billions?

So things cant get better? Renting is the new normal if you live in a city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Advertisement