Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Man it’s soul destroying. Eir fibre 150m away and can’t get it and the other end of the road 1km away nbi and I’m jan 25 to dec 26 .

enjoy the good connections people who have them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Actavo vans on the road all week doing tests on the DP boxes. Just checked eircode and its gone from Sept 22/Jan 23 to pre order. Between Waterford city and Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

KN Networks we’re out putting up poles on my road yesterday and today. Rural Longford. NBI website says we are due for connection Dec 22-Feb 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭creedp

Looking to sign up for nbi broadband in next few days. Local isp who I have been getting wireless broadband for a number of years are charging €50 pm (or €47 if I use existing router). When I queried why so expensive compared to VFs €35pm I was told you will always get us on phone if you have a problem. So do people think its worth paying €15pm for potential better customer service or would I be simply throwing away €180 over the 12 month contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Sadly, the smaller isps are going to lose out, i dont see any benefit in payjng an extra 15 euro pm!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Some of the prices are ridiculous, if you ring them twice a year I'd say that would be worse case. 15 extra a month is high. A lot of them won't last.

That's my concern too and if they go out of business where would I be then? With working from home etc broadband is now an essential service and any downtime is problematic. Still wrestling with conscience a bit as they have provided a reasonable service for over 10 years and I don't like walking away now when more options have become available. However it's not just the significant price difference but also the potential collapse of the company that is making me consider moving away from current isp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I paid over the odds for Digiweb because they've always fixed any issues I had over the years promptly, and they always ring afterwards to ensure everything is back up and running. I work from home so that level of service is essential. VF will be charging you the same as them when the introductory offer is over and you won't be getting that level of service (more than likely)

And that is the only reason I am still mulling over paying a €180 premium to a service provider who will now be supplying the service over the NBI network rather that via their owm wireless infrastructure. In future if there is a problem with the network it will be NBI's customer service and not the ISPs that will be paramount.

I suppose another way of looking at this is what has happened with the most essential service in most households, ie electricity. It seem the norm now is for people to benefit from an introductory offer from different providers every 12 months. Is this the approach people will take with broadband in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

I would expect part of the reason smaller operators need to charge more is down to numbers. Bigger operators like VF, Eir and Sky can charge less as they can expect to make up for it with large numbers of customers - smaller operators won't have those numbers. There is also the aspect of double/triple/quad play where the bigger operators can offer multiple services, each at a reduced price but overall they are winning. Smaller operators can't offer such services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

I'm with you on this.

If it was as easy to switch as it is for Gas and Electricity then it would be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

I tried to sort out my elderly neighbours Sky NBI problems and was onto their help desk in India. It was hard work understanding her as she got me to go into the router settings etc. In the end, I think the problem was their PC. But the neighbours lost patience with Sky and cancelled the contract and went back to the local supplier. He is apparently going to offer fibre to them “soon”. I went with Digiweb myself rather than Vodafone, Sky and Eir because I really hate their customer service. As I have loads of suppliers now, I’ll ring around next year to see who I’ll go with (other than the big three). And I won’t choose the very small ones either. I hope competition will drive down FTTH prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Surly it is as easy to switch after 12 months/end of contract? What's different compared to changing your gas and electricity?

Anyone gone with VF who I have spoken to seem adament that they won't be paying €50/60 pm when initial 12 month contract is up but will shop around. Haven't read the T&Cs of these contracts but assuming there are no major impediments to switching providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

What's difficult about switching your ISP? I do it almost every year without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What sort of speeds are new customers getting?

I take it there is a standard speed countrywide?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

500mb dl is min speed, 1gb packages are available, and i beleive some providers are offerring 2gb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

If you are switching within the same wholesale network it probably is usually quite smooth but with router changes and provisioning you do see people on here who have had it go wrong occasionally.

Anecdotal I know but with the electric and gas I’ve never heard of it going wrong to the point of someone losing service, it just seems to be a billing switch in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

theres a company called "white knight" in the area doing cable works....does anyone know might this be NBI related,we've been moved to "build phase" on the site.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

We went available to pre-order on July 19th and finally ready to connect today. Rang up pure telecom to confirm pre-order, just waiting on the installation date now. The Carrigaline DA has taken the longest to complete for some reason and lots of premises are still on pre-order. Our original dates were Nov 20-Feb 21 and the dates ended up being pushed backward and forward I think about 12 times. We originally went pre-order in May 21 for a few weeks and then back to network build in progress again but at least the end is in sight now!

What ISPs are you changing to each year? From experience are there any ISPs you would avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Finally getting connected in the next few weeks with Digiweb. Anyone know what modem they are supplying with new NBI installs? Currently have a FritzBox 7530 for their FTTC service and apparently it can simply be reconfigured for FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Obvious solution install your own telephone pole. Hang some old telephone cable from it and drop it down cut on the ground to the next line then call out a service crew tell them your internets acting funny.

Open a beer.

Post edited by Eleusis on

Yeah it's a 7530 they supply for the NBI installs. Should be fairly simple to reconfigure for FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is it all they will do is reinstall you old service.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Why would not just get a new free 7530 from Digiweb when connecting? My current provider has offered to reduce monthly from €50 to €47 if I agreed to use my own existing 7530. However they won't support it if something happens within 12 month contract period. So for €36 I would get a new 7530 supported by provider. Would Digiweb offer a similar discount?

Advertisement