Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Heads up that the online flash sale on the Lifestyle Sports website that is 20% off everything applies to the new Leinster kit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DelMcG

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

No problem.

Reports of some of the new gear being delivered despite the launch date being 18 August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Possible side for the start of the season?

1. Michael Milne
    2. James Tracy
    3. Michael Ala'alatoa
    4. Jason Jenkins
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Will Connors
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. David Kearney
    12. Charlie Ngatai
    13. Jamie Osborne
    14. Robert Russell
    15. Max O'Reilly
    16. John McKee
    17. Marcus Hanan
    18. Thomas Clarkson
    19. Brian Deeny
    20. Scott Penny
    21. Cormac Foley
    22. Charlie Tector/Sam Prendergast
    23. Chris Cosgrave

Will Soroka oust Ruddock? Can Charlie Ryan stay fit and challenge?

Will guys like Edward Byrne and Harry Byrne who hardly featured for Ireland be available? They're not going to have a heavy international workload, and could benefit from any gametime that's going.

Kelleher didn't tour with Ireland, but he might be put on the same schedule as returning internationals due to projected Ireland involvements.

Ngatai/Osborne looks like a potent, balanced centre pairing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Kelleher didn't tour with Ireland, but he might be put on the same schedule as returning internationals due to projected Ireland involvements.

That is not how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd be hoping to see Jack Boyle with an early push for senior minutes while Healy and Porter are away. Ed Byrne played so little rugby and was a late addition to the Ireland squad that I'd be surprised if he's not starting the season with the rest of the Leinster squad.

Kelleher will be straight back in with the rest of the Leinster squad. Big season needed for Tracy. He'll be 32 this season and McKee does look like a good find.

Tector I believe has a long term injury (at least he got stretchered off with a lengthy delay in a dev game towards the end of last season)

Given Harry got no minutes in New Zealand and was sent home in the first week I doubt he's on the minutes managed train and will see some involvement (fitness - as ever - permitting)

Nick McCarthy will still be pushing for minutes but I do think Foley has potential to overtake both him and Luke early this season (unless Luke finds some old form)

We look quite light in the back 3 for the early part of this season and could do with a few academy lads stepping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think any minutes available at the start will go to Michael Milne if he is fit, who is a very decent prospect in his own right imo.

On the back 3, would you like to see Aitzol King skip the queue or some of the older lads given the opportunity? I think he seems to me to be the only one with the potential to be Leinster first choice, but of course almost no one was hyping Hugo Keenan or Jimmy O'Brien when they were at the same stage of their careers.

I don't think there is any queue to skip really. If you're good enough you're involved.

I saw some decent performances from King at under 20s but he was about as prolific as Smith or TOB who also had to bide their time for senior minutes.

I didn't see much of King to suggest he's ready to start some top level senior games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Rob Russell will make a push, imo. MOR should get a chance also. I reckon these lads will be pushing onto development contracts. King looks a good prospect but, he will take time to bed into the environment, imo.

I expect Milne to play quite a bit this year. Boyle would be more likely to play in the "A" games? I think Hanan will get a look at some point.

I just realised that I had the pleasure of the 10000th post - do we still require new threads since we got new boards?

Took us 17 months to fill this thread. The previous Leinster thread took 22 months to fill

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No.. The hamsters are apparently immortal now..

No requirement for a new thread after 10k posts

There goes my 'Chronicles of Ruddock' suggestion.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

will the Byrne supremacy actually come through???

or is the next savour of the "prendergast" ilk.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Kelleher had the same preseason as non internationals.

He will start the season with the squad. Probably as a senior player in the squad and a leader. If he needs to skip games later on in the season because of international duty that's different but for now he will be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

My thoughts for my pecking order off top of my head:

1. Porter but academy wise Milne over Boyle,
    2. Sheehan over Kelleher,
    3. Furlong no contest Vakh, Clarkson, Lassissi
    4. Molony over McCarthy, Deeny worth a shout
    5. Ryan over Jenkins initially but wait and see
    6. Soroka over Ruddock
    7. Josh over Connors
    8. Conan over Doris
    9. JGP no contest
    10. Johnny - Frawley, Ross, Harry
    11. James Lowe (no challengers) Jimmy and Tommy further down
    12. Robbie - no challengers
    13. Osborne over Ringrose
    14. Larmour - Jimmy and Tommy further down
    15. Keenan

Obviously fringe back three like Russell, O Reilly, Kearney worth a mention. Dave might jump up substantially and even oust Jimmy and Tommy for Europe. Ngatai -let’s wait and see but probably will fill holes and possibly make bench for Europe. Clarkson I forgot about, there’s a depth at prop and it’s our strongest area I think so hard to predict. Foley in with a great shout for URC if he steps up at 9.

Post edited by Itxa on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I believe LasisI has moved to tighthead. Ngatai is excellent, and provided he stays fit and doesn't have any undue issues settling in, I think he will be very close to the first XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Osborne over Ringrose

Big shout there.

Nothing I've seen of Jenkins tells me he's remotely going to challenge Ryan but I think he'll be a good squad signing.

Less of a big shout and more of a baiting shout I should think...

Actually on second thoughts I’m not sure Osborne has the agility and speed for outside centre. Think he might be caught flat footed on occasion in defence. I do think he’s got very good vision and playmaking ability. Inside centre might be his position in my view

Temi moving to tighthead is a good call. It's a position of need for sure. He's already a big lad so add a bit of muscle onto that frame to up his power & I think he'll do well there

Not exactly much of a sample size available to judge Jenkins on, given how little he's actually played. The concern isn't whether he's good enough, it's whether he's actually available often enough to be of use. My concern in signing him wasn't that he wouldn't be up to the job, it was that he's brittle af.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Are there any pre season fixtures planned? Can't see any at the moment.

No home games, at least not so far. Just the away game against Quins in two weeks time.

It's interesting to think what changes would be made to the first-choice XXIII if it was selected according to Farrell's pecking order. The obvious ones are McCarthy starting alongside Ryan, with Baird as the bench lock, and Harry Byrne or Frawley in the #22 jumper.

Personally, I think those changes would strengthen the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Molony will start! McCarthy may get past him. Baird is in a position where he needs to fing a position. I think he will get some time at 6. But, Soroka is on the way and I think he locks the 6 shirt down fairly soon. Baird may be sitting out a lot of big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,274 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If Soroka takes the 6 jersey, what happens to Doris and Conan? Doris takes 8 and Conan on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

I think this, easier said than done though as Soroka has even got a run at 6 yet so thinking he'll over take Doris or Conan is still asking alot without solid evidence despite how much of a prospect Soroka is.

If Soroka does take it im fairly confident Doris moves to 8, he's simply too good to be dropped when on form and at 24 is still only going to get better. In the end if Soroka does come through and take the 6 shirt its a big positive as that's what Leinster need (and tbh what Ireland need), I strong abrasive 6.

He had a man of the match performance at 6 against the Stormers away from home. That was his first full senior start. I think he’s going to mount a challenge there at the very least.

McCarthy has a load of misinformation behind him. Inflated stats by more than two posters on here already. He strikes me as passive and docile on the pitch. I know he’s young and I don’t want to slate his obvious talent for that reason but he is not the second coming like some in Leinster have streamlined him to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

I remember his performance that day,! I wrote my comment a little wrong, I meant he hasnt had a consistent run in the jersey yet. I am confident we will see him get one this year and if he impresses he may have something to say about starting big games, normally I would say its too far fetched an idea at this point but knowing how much of a prospect Soroka is I wouldnt put it past him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If he was passive and docile he wouldn't be giving away those cheap penalties through overeagerness.

He's certainly no Messiah but he's a prospect.

Advertisement