Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Just back from La Cote Sauvage near La Palmyre. Can I just recommend it to you all if anyone is thinking of venturing that far. It's on the beach, and what a beach. Enormous sand dunes stretching for miles. Big Atlantic waves. Lighthouse. V nice and a great escape from the pool. Pool area absolutely lovely also with something for everyone from toddlers to teens.

We took a budget mobile but with a view and it was the best situated mobile we ever had. Peaceful, large plot, view of a tidal lagoon.

The only downer was the manic entertainment at the bar every night. Impossible to have a quiet drink. Wouldn't put us off going again though. The site is also quite stretched out so we did have a bit of walking to do under the pine trees to get anywhere. I'm sure the pricier mobiles would be closer to the action. The kids had their bikes so they were sorted.

I think it used to be a Eurocamp site? MS Vacances do it now anyway. Found them easy to deal with. We did a week here and a week in the Dordogne. Amazing break. thought the heat would half kill us but it was grand. I guess the kids are older now (11 and 13) so better able to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The fact that Clarys Plage is more geared towards French people would be a big plus for me.

I liked La Garangeoire but it was very very Irish in terms of guest numbers. Didn't really feel like I was away (bar the sunshine obviously!!!). "Center Parcs in the sun". I guess it's a big deal for a lot of Irish people heading abroad though.

That's why I much preferred Les Menhirs. No GAA jerseys, much higher % of French people. I felt like I was away properly. Some people might not like that though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You might be interested in Acapulco so, literally alongside Clarys Plage. Very nice site, Excellent pool complex and 95% French. They also have a couple of single story houses to rent out on site, giving you a mix of campsite but more space and might suit others more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 garrethr

Had a great trip this year in the Loire valley. Stayed in Domaine de la Breche outside Saumur. Highly recommend and is a great location for touring the wider region. 

Thinking of the coast next year. Can anyone recommend a site in and around La Tranche sur Mer? Would like to be able to go to La Rochelle and Ile de Re for day trips etc and looks ok location wise. Also like the idea of having a town/village within walking distance in the evenings...

• Advertisement

We stayed in Bel in La Tranche Sur Mer three years ago. I absolutely loved it, easily within walking distance of all the restaurants and beach etc.

It's a bit of a "sleepy" campsite. Definitely aimed at younger families but it's a lovely campsite with a Super U 5mins walk away and could be perfect if you're planning on day trips in the general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Video report on DFDS Zeebrugge-Rosslare passenger service by "AtoBvia Sea" on you tube

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

We've also stayed in Camping Bel a couple of times. Agree with the other poster that it's very quiet and relaxed. It had a little bit of everything and I think was family run. Very short walk to the beach. When we were leaving the owner said "see you again in 2 years time :) "

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lenan

As previously stated Les mouttes is 30 mins from Roscoff. Fantastic site but as a fellow parent of a kid with Additional Needs I'd avoid if going in August, extremely busy. June or early July it would be fine.

Cherbourg, lanse du brick 20 mins from ferry. Currently there at the moment, staff very understanding. Smaller site, smaller pool etc.

I'd recommend either of them if you want any further advice, you can contact me directly. I'd avoid going to very large sites such as Des Ormes on your first trip try a smaller site see how your little one gets on. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Looking at booking for next year and heading further south. Possibly Le Littoral.

I'm in 2 minds with regards air con. We survived in Des Ormes this year but it was very uncomfortable at times when temps were high 30s and into the 40s. Only for a fan I'd brought from would have need goosed altogether.

It's a nice bit dearer for air con and a complete dose then if it's not really required.

• Advertisement

Deleted - just realised I responded to a v old post!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

La Cote Sauvage is a place which I've cycled past numerous times as I traveled from Les Charmettes to the beach at the Phare. I had never heard of anybody staying there, I had always thought it was more-so a French campsite.

It's setting is spectacular alright. It is tucked in there under the dense pines but has access to that massive beach with the Atlantic waves and also the smaller and calmer beach the far side of Palmyre.

Yeah, I'd come across it on one of the camping operators' websites years ago and always had it in the back of my mind as looking v nice. Doesn't appear anywhere now though, you have to book with Ms Vacances.

Special site anyway, though yes, quite French.

Just edited to add kids did meet up with other English speakers there, an Irish family and some British.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi guys. I have booked return ferry with Brittany Ferries on the Cork to Roscoff route for next summer (departing on Saturday and returning on the Friday a fortnight later).

I booked the flexi ticket so paid I think a quarter of the total price in advance with the balance to be paid 60 days prior to departure.

We have now been thinking of extending our trip for a further two days so that we have a full 14 nights in France, but this means we would have to either depart or return on the Irish Ferries Dublin - Cherbourg route as the ferries are more frequent on this route.

So this essentially would change our booking with Brittany Ferries from a return to a one way. Anyone know if we can alter this free of charge as we have a flexi ticket or would doing this really be a cancellation of the original booking so we would lose the 25% we already paid & we would need to re-book it again as a one way ticket?

I've looked on their website and the latter is my reading of it (we would lose what we have already paid) but I'm not 100% sure if my understanding is correct. Anyone done something similar in the past?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

Not sure but I have always found the staff in the Brittany Ferries office great to deal with and you are never waiting to speak to someone so I'd ring them and ask. As they will change the booking over the phone if the flexi ticket allows it.

We went to France on the W.B.Y. this year and returned B.F.

Was in touch with Brittany Ferries via Twitter and there is no penalty for changing when a flexible ticket was booked.

Re Irish Ferries - I have heard that the WB Yeats is decent. Is the Epsilon very inferior to it?

Thanks very much for the reply. That Moulin d’Elise place looks exactly like what we’re looking for!

Thanks very much for the reply. That Moulin d’Elise place looks exactly like what we’re looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

HyperU supermarket selling diesel at 1.709 yesterday. Petrol was 1.399 (SP95) Total are selling 20 cents a litre less but of the 3 I have seen they are completely empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

I am going on 15 october. IF wont assign me a cabin when i private messaged them (they did last year). They said ask when checking in at the port. I was hoping for deck 9, do you think they will accommodate me. It surely wont be that busy mid october.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

IF doing that a while, can't see it being a problem mid October though.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Stena have released their summer sailings.

Seems very expensive!

Car+ 2adults+2students+1child, Rosslare-Cherbourg Sat 1/7/22, 6 berth outside cabin, Cherbourg-Rosslare Sat 15/7/22, 4 berth outside cabin

for only €1913!!!!

****Warning, there seems to be an error on their site, the Stena Horizon is travelling Rosslare-Cherbourg and Cherbourg-Rosslare on the same day****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Brittany ferries a good bit cheaper. Pont Aven a nice old ship too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

And next year BF should have a nice ship on the Rosslare-Bilbao and Rosslare Cherbourg route too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

That's expensive all right, but according to what's currently on their site, prices drop dramatically from July 10 onwards (note these are prices for your travelling party size of 2+2+1):

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Yea they seem to drop alright. Again a warning--The table highlights that their booking engine has ferries travelling Ireland-France and France-Ireland daily, aka for that they would 2 ferries. I tweeted them by DM on Saturday to ask if that was correct, I was told they have only one ferry the Stena Horizon. So half those sailings don't exist. Terrible service when you let them know of an error and they don't fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Folks, first time poster here!

I'm looking for recommendations(s) near Nice please? Probably looking at flying, so a short/easy transfer if possible.

We're a family of 6, kids will be 11/9/6/6.

Thanks for the help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Seems odd all right.

If it's any use to you, have a look at Brittany Ferries. We sailed Rosslare-Cherboug with them this year (did Stena on the way back). They have fewer crossings all right, but supposed to have a new boat on the route next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

well, they do actually have a sailing at all those times but its freight only, currently using the seatruck panaroma - which is nearly all unaccompoanied trailers and only cabins for 8 passengers or something.

https://www.stenalinefreight.com/timetable/ROCH

It could be a mistake that they added this freight sailing to their summer passenger schedule OR maybe they are doing a bit of a swicheroo in the summer and taking a ferry from another route which can take passengers to serve Rosslare - Cherbourg.

When you compare the prices they are charging from Ireland compared to some of the Scandanavian routes, theres plenty of incentive to rob a ferry from somewhere else and use it from Ireland instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Commencing in June 2023 Stena are adding a second passenger ship to the Rosslare-Cherbourg route, Its confirmed near the end of this article.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-line-takes-delivery-of-second-jumbo-e-flexer-ferry/

Advertisement