Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 European Athletics Championships, Munich

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,267 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That was a phenomenal last 30m from Israel. He came from miles back and finished like an express train. This will do wonders for his confidence - he's clearly the man for the big occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭waynescales1

RTE cutting away from Irish involvement in a European athletics final to show a Rangers soccer match of all things!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Olatunde in the final, brilliant 😎

He gets lane 7 again for the final.

Hang on, RTÉ are finished for the night seemingly, and aren't showing the final?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

It's on the Rte news channel. Or beeb 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

They could have put Rangers on the news channel. Not even HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Yeah the picture on the News Channel is brutal

• Advertisement

I'd say they were caught napping when creating the schedules and didn't realise that Olatunde might might make the 100m final (and by the time he did, it was way too late to change things around).

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Imagine your life being so miserable that this is the take you get from someone who was born, raised and schooled here and is proudly wearing the vest.

People like you are never happy.

Fair play to Olatunde. He’s absolutely loving the Championship stage. Nothing to lose in the final now and everything to gain.

A NR would wrap up an excellent championships for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Very well said. I was wondering what the reaction on the “multicultural” thread would be - but I should have guessed they would arrive here to spread their “views”.

Brilliant result. Thrilled.

Very impressed with Mageean earlier today. A supremely confident performance, seems the Commonwealth silver has done wonders for her after a rough couple of years. Hard to see past Muir and Ennaoui repeating their 1-2 but I think a bronze is up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

Question:\ Why did BAUMGART (2) get a better lane draw than ADELEKE (1)?

ADELEKE was the fastest qualifier with 51:08 ahead 51.17 BAUMGART

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭FinnC

• Advertisement

I'd imagine there are possible issues around advertising paid to be shown during the football so switching it to news now wouldn't be so simple where they don't have ads.

Ha the records gone , fair play to him!!!!!

He looks ecstatic too at the NR.....good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Out of interest, why did 5th place (French, I think?) get 5th, when their times were the same? Do they have it to a hidden 3rd or 4th decimal place, and if so why don't they show that?

Fantastic race, what a showing by him, may he go far (fast)!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Hope the injury gods are good to him in his future career. Great to see him celebrating there after the race. He deserves all the success going forward

• Advertisement

Can't ask for any more than that. A great run and only 0.04 from a medal.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I think his ceiling is sub-10. If he's running 10.17 at 20 then I can't wait to see how fast he is at 25-29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Well done to him - saved his best run for the final and took the NR. Really enjoyable couple of days following him, he's an exciting talent and seems to suit the big stage.

I think they visually use the official photo finish to separate them at that point.

And a home win in the women's 100m!

What a finish to the women's 100m final there. Great scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

That's a finish and a half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭secman

Fair play to Israel, a fantastic prospect, a very strong finisher, hopefully over next few years he can improve his first 50 meters. Delighted he got the NR.

Luckenkemper even injured herself in the process of diving for the line and ended up with a cut leg.....what a hero!

I'd have loved to have been there to have experienced that atmosphere there wow!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Wow that womens 100m...

Great that he got his moment in the sun too. The TV coverage showed him celebrating with the tricolour and this was shown on the screens in the arena too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

They take it to the thousand of a second to separate but they don't display times past a hundred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Brilliant for Olatunde. This could be the making of him

On the football, RTE are contractually obliged to shown a game in this round, at that specific time on that channel. Shame but they’ve no real choice as UEFA are very strict about this and make sure they get maximum exposure

They actually use photo finish technology with AUTOCAD like lines against the finishers torso, BBC showed the photo finish stills with the lines drawn.

Worth a read in terms of finish line cameras, fascinating stuff ... well it is to a nerd like me 😅

This is related to cycling but it's the same tech really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Didn't see much of it over the final lap but seems Darragh McElhinney blew up pretty hard. Was looking good to maybe contend for 6th or 7th but had nothing left in the end, finishing 16th in 13:39.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Looks like he went for it with a couple of laps to go by following the break and hoped the adrenaline/occasion would carry him through the final lap. It must have been a very painful last lap after that for him.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Born in Ireland, grew up in Dundalk and you could tell how he celebrated his record that as far as he's concerned he's Irish. His situation is completely different from the Kenyans and Ethiopians given Turkish or Bahraini passports just so those countries can win a few medals. Your racism, and that of others like you, is unfortunately something he'll probably have to endure throughout his career, but thankfully most of us are happy to celebrate the beginning of what will hopefully be a long and successful career in an Irish vest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 phelimcas

Great day of athletics again with Ciara Mageen showing really good form to make the final and great runs from Olotunde in the semi and final tonight along with Adeleke reaching the final.

Chris O'Donnell just missed out and Fay and McElhinney will benefit from the experience of a major track final.

No no you can’t call him racist for saying racist things.

You’ll have the rest of the knuckle-draggers coming here saying stuff like, ‘but is he wrong? Can’t be racist if it’s factually correct..’ or whatever else they have to say to justify their sad existence.

Yup Izzy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

That was one of the most enjoyable days of watching Irish athletes in a long time. Mageean was class, Adeleke into a major final at 19 and the star of the show Israel with an Irish record in a senior major final after a thrilling 2nd in the semi. Looking forward to Tom Barr in the morning and then Rhasidat at 9pm.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

Talk about a "fine line"

the exaggerated dip which ended in a fall got her the gold.

Kate O’Connor out of the heptathlon. Injured in warm up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Fantastic day for Irish athletics yesterday! Everyone had fantastic performances. Was watching them on the RTE player on my phone in work on the sly! My heart went out to McElhiney - he was in a great position at the start of the final lap but must have run out of steam, he'd a brilliant run up to that point. And Fay made great strides on his last lap. Both lads will have learned lots from that race. Really felt for Healy, she's a great runner. What a stellar performance from Olutunde!! Was a little nervous for him in the final - up against some tough lads, but he held his own and had a phenomenal run. Oluntunde and Adeleke are only 19/20 - I'm looking forward to seeing them progress in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Terrific race. Delighted for Lückenkemper in front of her home crowd. She's a very talented athlete who has been plagued with injury for the last several years. Great to see her land a significant title. It's worth re-visiting the 4x100m relay in Eugene. Her phenomenal third leg around the bend almost single-handedly won Germany the bronze medal. I actually think she has greater upside in the 200m and could potentially be a global medalist over the longer sprint.

Feel bad for Kambungi. She had it in the bag, but her form completely fell apart over the final 10m. It's very unlike her as she is usually so consistent. The British girl in third (Neita) looked mightily pissed off. Looks like she left her best race on the track in the semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Caprica

A great evening of athletic entertainment, so many exciting events.

A great end to the Decathlon. A great 1,500 for Kaul for victory, it really got the crowd going. If Ehammer can improve his weaker events he can be a huge star. His throws and 1,500 need work. An easy victory for Jacob in the 5k. A great run by Fay to finish strong for 8th. McElhinney looked strong at the bell but had a tough last 300, still well done for going for it. Fay last 300 was 42, McElhinney 55.

Glad to see Jacobs bounce back after Worlds. He looked impressive but maybe not at a level that will medal at worlds? Outstanding run by Israel to get a NR and place 6th, he really delivered here. The BBC were very impressed with him. In the ladies I was dissapointed for Kambunji, she just lost her form in the last 10mtrs. A very popular win for Luckenheimer, a great end to the night. In Commonwealths and Euros, Nieta ran two very strong semis but faltered in the final. She had a few excuses lined up for her interview. It felt uncomfortable with her and Dina being interviewed together.

The UK guy in the long jump had celebrated his silver medal only to be told after, his medal winning jump was a foul. The French protested and they got bronze as a result

I was surprised to see Barr in the 400H heats but he is not in Euro Top 12 so had to do them. He looked okay but thought he had to work in the home straight. I hope he makes the final. I was looking forward to seeing Kate O’Connor compete but it was bad luck with the injury.

Don't waste your breath on him, he's been banned and rightly so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement