Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash Dieback

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

The core in the top photo may be the die-back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Absolutely stunning grain. It’s an awful pity.

the tree branches are pure brittle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Our woodlands up the valley are being inspected by the national parks and wildlife service, this is a follow up to a previous inspection about 15 years ago.

Amongst other things Ash die back is being monitored

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Have driven a lot of the country in the last week.

Ash die back rampant in parts of Connaught and South Donegal.

Not as bad in the East of the country.

About 2k miles driven. Going light on top myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Drove across four counties at the weekend and must have passed hundreds of thousands of dead and dying trees.

Its shocking really!

Probably a stupid question (given DAFM ultimately responsible) but has anyone ever been held accountable for importing the original diseased stock into the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Apparently it was Coillte going on some stuff I read on Twitter - wouldn't surprise me given their record on all thing environmental....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Have been cutting away at the road side ditch over the past few weeks. Shocking the amount of trees dying and dead. Its amazing the amount of dead and weak limbs and boughs.

It's amazing the amount of timber gathered and into the shed.

A real focus now needs to be put on checking trees by roads. Could be a good time to become a tree surgeon or to get a shears for a digger.

A neighbour has two massive trees rotten with very little leaves- over hanging the road and also has a swing hanging off it. I must tell him my fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cunw

Coillte plant commercial timber

The DAFM were warned strongly a decade ago by their own staff and numerous times in the years before that too by foresters to ban the importation of Ash

Simon Coveney and Fine Gael choose to completely ignore these warnings. They are to blame.

Imagine an FOI request for that to slip out into the public forum

• Advertisement

It's really terrible, we're going to lose millions of trees within a few years due to incompetence in government agencies.

The single biggest ecological loss Ireland has seen in our lifetimes.

Those responsible will suffer no consequences.

Meanwhile a lowly farmer taking out 100m of a hedge would have the book thrown at him.

Tis a funny old country.

A neighbour is trying to sell her forestry- she has about 1.5Ha of ash and was told it was riddled and worthless and they would only chip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

Have noticed ash die back being much worse around me this year. Last year it was mainly young trees and the odd big tree -mainly in wet, marshy ground were effected. We’ve two huge trees almost devoid of foliage this year, I’d say dead next year. Nearly all small ash trees dead this year.

on a positive note, I see that mature trees on upland, especially the deep green ash trees seem to be resisting well. Ash trees that generally have more yellow green leaves seem to be more easily over come - possibly a nutrient thing that means they more weak anyway?

Theres definitely trees to be taken down in autumn around my area that should go to use as firewood before they just rot away.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cunw

Yeah apparently there's a flimsy bit of legal advice to cover his ass but it's a response to a question not an objective opinion.

So it goes something like this

Question: Could a ban impact the freedom of movement of goods or services

Answer: On prime face, yes

When the objective question would've been: Is it possible to legally implement a ban ? And the answer would've been; yes under biosecurity provisions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Probably a stupid question

Is it the just the brown leaved section in the first pic or is it all the dead looking branches at the bottom with lichen looking stuff growing on them on the bottom?

The main reason I ask is because ever since I can remember (a long time now) or ash trees have had those dead branches on them and they just drop off but the tree has continued thriving....

We have a lot of Ash here since my father's time (ironically he wanted to take an entire ditch of them out years ago but I liked them and argued against - not really out of any ecological considerations, I just liked them and thought it would be a shame to kill them even as a small kid - now it looks like they'll be taken anyway ffs)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No doubt its rampant now across the country - however I have noticed some pockets of resistance around the place that gives rise to some hope given how quick ash can grow on suitable ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

When I look closely up along the tree, I can see completely dead branches that look like the leaves were eaten completely from them. The trees in those pics I took are not the worst I've seen here. I just wanted to give people an idea of how trees may look ok in the distance, but have it on closer inspection.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Tks....I'm worried looking around our place

It'll be very bare without them and I always like the look of them ....

+ there's a lifetime of work cutting them up. It's a balls.

I thought similar about mature Ash in upland being unaffected last summer.

But most of those are now showing signs this summer, so just delayed onset.

I'll still be slow to cut any that aren't dangerous or roadside, just incase some might be resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Up to 2011/12 Coillte sold trees for planting to the public, both imported and homegrown, I bought ash from Coillte which was imported from Denmark in 2010. The seed from which my trees grew , came from a seed orchard in Denmark where research into ash dieback began in 2007, yet they continued to use this seed despite knowing an issue existed

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

I agree slow to cut. But once tree extensively damaged, I'd be pro felling as waiting any longer would just be felling rotten timber that would be useless as firewood. And there's definitely enough in the roadsides for that purpose.

Real pity. I've some lovely Ash on the farm this year.

I've self grown 6 oak trees and 4 beech and plan to try to grow Scots pine this autumn. As some replacements. Sycamore and Hazel will be the natural replacement around here.

By the roadside my motto is very simple, "if in doubt take it out"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's kinda like the Mica scandal

"continued to use ... despite knowing an issue existed"

Advertisement