Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

One way to get that needed EV depreciation for the second hand market...🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

On my short travels today I only saw three EVs. An EQS, a Model Y and an iX. No recession here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If it wasn't for Northern Ireland I could see logic in switching over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Half the community switch over, the alliance party drive in the middle and unionists refuse to change from how London do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was charging at Ionity gorey yesterday in my MX75, and either side of me were 222 registrations, on the left a lovely blue BMW iX40 and on the right an equally impressive silver Etron GT. There's certainly money out there, reminds me of all the range rover sports purchased in '06

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id hope for the extra 60/70k that the Etron GT was more than equally impressive 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was looking at an ix and to get it at a realistic trim level you're at 95-100k. Etron GT is 130-140, so more like 30k than 70 but point taken. And to be honest I'd prefer the iX

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sorry i read that as i40 not ix40 my bad.

but prefer an ix over an etron GT, 😯

I have seen a few now and i want to like them, its a great car by all accounts, but it is a munter. We are changing our etron 50 and despite looking at the alternatives im getting an etron 55 sportback as the other cars in the segment arent doing it for me.

But we all have different tastes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Saw my first Taycan Tourer today, sitting at a pleb charger

Now THAT is fine looking piece of machinery

IMO it's better looking than the E-tron GT, and one of the best looking cars out there

Although I'm pretty sure that rear spoiler is the same one from and ID.4 😜

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ddcluracan

I am having a similar experience. I ordered a Kia EV6 in March, I was informed in May that the order will not be fulfilled this year and that the price has increased by €2,000. Recently I checked again with the dealership, they expect the car to be delivered around March 2023. In addition Kia are having a dealer conference in October and more than likely a price increase for 2023.

It seems to me that I will be better off canceling my order and look again at this issue in 2 years time. Maybe by then the chip shortage and production issues will be sorted out. Also there should be more choice of EVs with a corresponding normalisation of prices. I have a long commute with 75% of it motorway. I would need a large battery EV but I have a diesel Honda that has done 410,000kms relatively trouble free and I would rather add another 100,000kms to it then buy another ICE car, or be gouged on price increases while waiting a year for a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If you ordered a Model 3 RWD (€53k) you'd have it within 4-6 weeks, and there's a good chance any EV/Model 3's ordered and delivered in the next 4 months or so will be the last of the SEAI grant EV's in Ireland.....

Of course I looked at the Model 3, great car my sister has one in the States but I didn't want a saloon car, nor did I want an SUV. At least the Kia EV6, Ioniq 5 and Polestars are not SUVs or disguise themselves effectively.

The weird thing is, you could probably buy one anyway (for €53k), make do with it until the EV6/Ionic5 is ready for delivery, and then sell it for more than you paid for it in a year!!!

You could have an 8-12 month test drive, and walk away at the end of it with €2k-€4k in your pocket!!! Thats how mental the motor industry is these days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Model Y is a good bit more expensive than the base model of the Kia EV6 as it doesn't come in the base model, only in the long range AWD model. So it doesn't get the grant. It is readily available though and like the EV6 and Ioniq 5, it doesn't look l like an SUV that much. Did you check availability of the Ioniq 5? Its base model is a lot cheaper than the Kia EV6 and I don't know how long your commute is but it's quite likely the 58kWh base model can cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Yeah that seems to be a very common occurrence. Particularly with the EV6 it seems as they know someone will take a cancelled order regardless of price changes. I would have liked to have held off until EVs were easier to come by but we were due a change of car and my wife has wanted an SUV type car for a good while, with a baby on the way this month we just went for the Tucson. A lot of that was based on getting it in September though so if that doesn't happen we'll have to re-evaluate things based on a reduced trade in price for my car and potentially shorter wait for an EV. Unfortunately in my case it seems like i missed out a good opportunity to get a good deal on an EV6/ID4/Enyaq prior to fairly hefty price increases. Personally I don't think i'd pay 10k for a car that someone else bought a few months ago for the lower price with the grant. Once you go above the grant in price i'd start looking at Polestar, Q4 Etron etc. Its a different class of car IMO, 65k for a Kia or VW is tough for me to stomach, i'd want a premium badge for that sort of price. You're close to IX1 or even IX3 territory at that stage, particularly if going PCP.

It's a tempting idea, but after 12 months I would have put 50,000kms on the car. I doubt even a Tesla would increase in value after that mileage, even in this market. My general point is considering that demand is outstripping supply and EV prices are always going up (to the point of nullifying the SEAI grant), is it not better to wait until the market stabilises if you can?

Gonna do some thread derailing now...

I need to travel to the UK soon, ferry to Holyhead and then driving towards Cornwall

ABRP is giving 2 routes, one basically a diagonal line through Wales through Snowdonia national park and towards Newport before going around towards Bristol

Route 2 is along the North coast of Wales and then M6 and other motorways towards Bristol

Both routes take about the same time, second one is about 20 mins longer charging but faster driving

My instinct is to stick with Route 2 since it looks to be an easier drive, Route 1 is a constant zigzag so seems like it would require more braincells

Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience and advice on this?

The same car though in a few months will probably cost €58k... and there are Tesla's for sale now on done deal asking for similar or even higher than the original purchase price...

I got 2 trade in valuations from Tesla for my 2020 SR+

November 2020 with 16,000km on it = €37,000

January 2022 with 48,510km on it = €39,620

So Tesla valuations are going silly as well!!!

In reality if selling private at the time, I'd have expected probably 45-47k for it (paid €48k for it)

The thing is as well with the Model 3, despite you wanting a bigger car, you'd probably find it very hard to give up the Tesla after driving it for a few months, especially when you experience the Supercharging network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks has anyone here sold a car to SellMyCar (looks to be Connollys Motor Group)?

I filled in their online application last night and hope to hear back today or tomorrow about my ID3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

How long do you think this market abberation will continue? Personally I can't understand why someone would pay more that the new price for a used car when they could have a new one in 4 to 6 weeks.

In reality if you sold early next year in a private sale (after 3 years) you will have had a grand total of about 15-20% depreciation. Very, very few people can say that about their mass produced car they bought brand new. I came close to 20% myself with my Ioniq over 3 years but it was on the wrong side of that bracket 😃

Buy any diesel now and it will depreciate 30% or so in just the one year.

I'm still hoping I can do an upgrade as I have a new RWD on order... I could have gotten it in this delivery cycle, but am happy to wait til 2023 for it, and If I can still get the price I ordered at (grant included), I'll probably take it in early 2023.. No issues losing 0.5s in acceleration to 100 as its far outweighed by the multitude of upgrades the car has received since I bought mine!!

Too much hassle to swap this year as we're going through the process of buying a house abroad, and it'd be a bit of a ball ache to be trying to sell the car in the middle of all that....

Now I just need to install a Zappi there as it's coming with about 20 PV panels as standard ~7kWp!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

@the_amazing_raisin I've done part of that first trip quite a few time when I lived in Bristol and visited Aberystwyth for work. It wasn't as bad as it seemed but then again I'm from Donegal so its all about perspective! The M6 however can be great for easy mindless driving or terrible if there is an accident anywhere along the route. I was once caught up in a massive tailback due to a serious accident that added 3 hours to my journey.

The only thing I'd worry about on the more rural route is charging. I had an ICE back then so it didn't matter to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Route 2 will be easier and more reliable for charging but very boring. Route 1 (which I haven’t done yet) is likely to be a lot more scenic and with more unique places to stop for food.

I had planned to take route 1 myself (in reverse) after picking up my car from Manchester, but I chose to play safe with the time and COVID was upon us back then on March 11th, 2020. But that didn't seem to bother anyone in the UK back then. Good grief! So I took route 2. Weather wasn't great either, little bit of rain, quite a bit of a storm.

All the other cars I brought in from the UK, I brought back via the super cheap weekday overnight P&O from Liverpool, which I prefer, but it wasn't available for that day

Yeah I think I'll take the A55 and M6 route, seems like I'll need fewer braincells on that route

Charging on the M6 seems okay, I'm aiming for Ionity Stafford, but that site seems quite busy. There's a couple more hubs nearby though so I'll live

The route through Wales looks like a fairly epic drive, but I'm not sure I'd manage 4-5 hours of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Are you gonna try the Tesla suc at Cardiff? It’s part of the trial so should work for an ID.4 if you set the account up with a UK address.

• Advertisement

Nah, gonna head along North coast of Wales then join the M6 around Stoke on Trent and head South from there

ABRP did suggest that as a charging stop, but I'm not sold on that road. Looking at the map it seems to be constant zigzags across central Wales.

I seem to recall that Welsh geography can be best described as "not flat" so I'm guessing it's a lot of hillside roads. Probably an epic drive but not something I'd put up with for hours

I think I'll take the idiot proof roads and just leave it to the Travel assist on the car to do most of the thinking

Advertisement