Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour of Front Door

Options
  • 17-08-2022 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi,

We are at the windows and doors stage of a new build bungalow but we are really confused about what colour we should put on the front door. We have ordered the windows in anthracite grey (RAL 7016) and we want the front door to be a different colour.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best colour for a front door to match with antracite grey windows.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very hard to know without context. What the house looks like, external finishes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Not trying to be smart, but you should go with what you like, and not worry about anyone else.

Only you can answer that!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As stated, context is important but I'd be leaning towards black.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

If you're thinking that there is a complimentary, 'right' colour to match with grey, there really isn't; Color theory - Wikipedia

So it's up to you; do you want the door to 'pop', or do you want to not draw attention to it. Our estate has red, yellow, mahogony and blue-grey with black windows, and they all look good - and make it easier to direct people to the right front door sometimes!

Shocking Pink

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If simple finishes to the bungalow, like (white/off white render) and slate roof, my inclination would be stick with anthracite for the front door too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A perfectly valid suggestion. Very handy for finding the house - the one with the pink door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Common thing now is instead of matching your door to your window frames, you match the door to the window sills (and other accent colours on the house).

A white house with blue/red/yellow/black trim & sills will have a door to match - I think it looks well. Definitely something that stands out though, not for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

See that's the thing, I'm really struggling to find an answer. I'm terrible when it comes to picking colours! When it comes to matching paints I haven't a clue, never mind front doors!

At the moment we are leaning towards an anthracite door but we would love to find a different standout colour that would suit anthracite windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think grey and fire-engine red looks brilliant - but that's just my taste.

It really is up to you and what you want to be looking at.

Is the door going to be painted, or a permanent colour? (I'm sure there's a better way of phrasing that, but the coffee hasn't kicked in yet!)

If painted, if you don't like it you can always change it, so why not go hot pink (personally I wouldn't!) or something bright that you think you might like - and then just do it again if you don't.

We did a rural cottage recently with all white walls, slate roof and all grey windows and doors - kept it uber simple - and I think it looks absolutely gorgeous. Tres classy!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kegblag

I'd avoid black from experience if it gets a lot of sun, as the heat will warp it. Might take just one very hot day.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Almost anything will go with anthracite. What colours do you like? You can find a shade of your favourite colour that will look great. Personally, I would go for something slightly muted, so a mustard yellow, sage green, dusky pink, coral, etc. Would look fab.

And as it happens, I think hot pink and anthracite would be a great combo! I nearly did a front door that colour before but my son begged me not to and I procrastinated so long that we moved before I got to it.

Edited to add: I’m assuming the walls are white. Otherwise you will obviously have a more complicated decision.

Also, consider a colour consultation. Many paint shops do them, including Pat McDonnell and Farrow&Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's a house near me that's red brick with a hot pink front door!

That shouldn't work, but it definitely does.

While it wouldn't be to my taste particularly, I do think it looks great and stands out among all the other houses in the terrace.

So IMO it really is up to you and whatever colours you like.

If its a composite door, I would go with the same colour, but that is just me.

I spent two years procrastinating between black and anthracite grey when changing my old white PVC windows and door and eventually decided on black, and I absolutely love it.

If you really want something different to go with your grey, maybe a sage green door. It seems to be popular with grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭raxy

When we were picking we drove/walked around & looked at what other houses had. I'm useless at picking aswell but when you see it in front of you it's easier.

We almost went with anthracite windows but cream looks a lot nicer with the type of brick on our house. Got a black door & changed our sofits to cream as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it really does depend if you're going composite or a wooden door that you can repaint.

We're looking to get the windows and doors done soon and as much as I really want a colour that pops, we're going with a composite door so have to think of future house colours too - will probably have to be a more muted colour as a result.

Advertisement