Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10m - Aug 20, 2022

Options
  • 02-08-2022 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Who’s in for this one? One of my favourite races - it was my first ‘real’ race back in 2012 and have run it every year since (excepting recent virtual versions).

New course this year, which looks a bit tougher than the old - thoughts?

Always great to race in the Phoenix Park and this race is always well organised, as you’d expect from the Dublin Race Series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Drafted in for pacing duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

What are the pacing times? Hoping to go sub 1:20

• I just signed up for this. Flights home only £25. T'was my last race in 2017 and I need a new t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Hi D,

Frank is a favourite of mine also... Its a race that even if im not in the best shape will always try to empty myself for it.

Definitially different this year alright, and as you mentioned a bit tougher given its on the "lower" part of the park.

Anyway hopefully the weather will play ball and we will all get what we want...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Anyone thats run this before, official emails say no parking in the park, but if i was to get there early enough do you think you'll be able to park at the cross or vistors centre?

• Advertisement

That's my slot, let's get a Boards cohort together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

They close off the visitors centre sometimes when there is events. Id imagine the road down past the cross will also be closed since the route comes up along that way too. Conyngham road or else war memorial park might be ok alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

See DCM thread, there is a map of the multiple car parks in there.

The Muppets in the park can't even police a few scobies with BBQs so don't stress about parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I'm in. Not sure yet whether this will be raced or run at MP as I'm planning to race the HM.

I've attempted to plot the course to see the elevation profile (not entirely accurate but close enough) https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1991003

Would there be parking on North Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I have blocked rovers_runner so normally don't see his posts but made an exception here as I started the thread. As most boardsies know, the 'muppet' in question is closer to home than Robert thinks.

The thread is about running and racing, not parking. However I will probably drive to the vicinity myself but if I do I won't be parking in the Park. Even if you find a space there you'll be waiting a long time to get out. The Park is one of the easiest places in Ireland to get to via public transport.

• Advertisement

Excellent. Any thoughts on the course from a running/pacing POV?

Good man posting people's names Denis. Just as well I've never cared either way, but get your kicks whichever way you can.

Be sure to say hello on the 20th.

Haven't even thought about it, probably even pace 2-3 secs under 8's.

Worth noting for Dublin club runners, the Frank Duffy still incorporates the county 10 Mile championship, so don’t forget to include club affiliation when entering, and enter before end of day today:

The Irish Life Frank Duffy 10 Mile road race, incorporating the Dublin 10 mile road race championships, takes place on Saturday 20th August in Phoenix Park. Entries for this race will close on 5th August. Runners who have entered for a Dublin Club at race registration, will also be eligible for the Dublin championships. Medals will be awarded to the first three home from Dublin clubs and for the usual masters’ categories (M/F35+ to M/F65+). Team medals will also be awarded for senior and masters’ (35+ and 50+ teams). Four to score on all teams except F50+ which is three. Team captains must ensure their runners who enter the Dublin Championships, start from the first wave of runners so as to give all teams an equal chance.

(from Dublin Athletics website)

From Phoenix Park website, RCO details.

Parking on raceday remains a mystery unless you are in the clique. Main avenue and North Road not stated in RCO so obviously open to the public. Beware of but humour the high vis heroes on the day.

"Date of Event: Saturday 20th August 2022

Roads to be closed to vehicular traffic:

Chesterfield Avenue (Phoenix to Mountjoy Roundabout) will be Closed from 9.00pm on Friday 19th August until 2.00pm on Saturday 20th August

Ordnance Survey Road Saturday 8.00am – 12.00pm

Military Road Saturday 8.00am – 12.00pm

Upper Glen Road Saturday 8.00am – 12.00pm

Acres Road Saturday 8.00am – 1.00pm

Wellington Road will be Closed from 10.00pm on Friday 19th August until 12.00pm on Saturday 20th August

Gates to be closed:

Castleknock Gate Saturday 8.45am – 12.00pm

Chapelizod Gate Saturday 8.00am – 2.00pm

Islandbridge Gate will be Closed from 11.00pm on Friday 19th August until 12.00pm on Saturday 20th August

Knockmaroon Gate will be Closed from 11.00pm on Friday 19th August until 2.00pm on Saturday 20th August

Access to St. Mary’s Hospital and Cara Cheshire Home will be unaffected.

Parking only permitted in areas agreed with Organisers. All roads and gates will re-open as soon as it is safe to do so"

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Looks like an early North Rd arrival for me then.

I always found the drag up the North Road tough at race pace but I'd take it this year - not a huge fan of that triangle around the Acres football pitches although it's fine for training. Should be an intriguing event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Is there on-street parking along Conyngham Rd? According to Google maps there is. Does anyone know the cost? And if you have to pay on a Saturday? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

there is on street parking between bridgewater house and the dublin bus depot on the side of the road that the liffey is on

i am not sure of the costs of saturday parking situation. i am fairly sure it is metered so probably a couple of euro per hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Definitely going to be a challenging one to pace correctly!

Has anyone seen anything on what times the pacers are running to?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I signed up yesterday...it seems like a 100 years since I did a race in the Phoenix Park, although I run there 2-3 times a week. Tough enough course at it is on the 'hilly' side of the Park, first 2 miles are handy as they are flat/downhill but leave something in the tank and don't get caught up in the excitement and burn out too quick as there are plenty of hills to contend with for the next 8 miles (your legs will thank you afterwards). Defo not a PB course in my opinion, but a great race and super training for the DCHM or the DCM.

There is parking at Heuston Station and get a shuttle bus up (or cycle) from the bottom of the Park could be a good shout. You can now pay for your parking using Ticket machines in the Station in case coins are in short supply for the P&D machines in the car park.

Looking forward to it now....and the cool Tee Shirt that comes with it 😀

One for the country folk.

As over priced as hotels are this weekend at twice the normal rate of years gone by, keep in mind that the night before the half marathon clashes with Garth Brooks in Croke Park, hotels out of the question that night, up to 4 times normal prices.

Thinking I'll day trip it for both at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’ll be making my decision on running the half based on reports on how well this runs based on driving there.

Does anyone else foresee a sh*tshow like Swords in 2017?

They are still telling people up to the other day over facebook there is no parking to be had, where do they expect people to go? Public transport in Dublin is a disgrace at the moment, especially heroin central on the Red Luas line. Clampers and DCC going to make a fortune also on fines.

Normally id have no issue getting public transport to a sporting event I was going to, its just the thought of getting back on a Luas/Bus all sweaty after a 10 mile race. Tallaght was great for the 5m, loads of parking a short walk from the start

Anyway, looking forward to this now. It looks like almost perfect conditions forecast for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Yeah the Tallaght one was pretty well organised. Lifting the barriers to let everyone out quickly was clever.

Don't forget the start line is pretty far from the entrance to the park (more than 30 mins walk) so there's a shuttle bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Anyone know if there is registration on the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I did it that day. Unless they close all gates in park to vehicle traffic and have someone preventing people from parking everywhere people will do it.

Advertisement