Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next British PM

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yeah. HMS Truss will sink on contact with reality. I think the Tories are either at the point now or rapidly approaching the point where they're going to be unelectable. We can see the effects of climate change first hand now and they're still trying to protect energy companies' profits. By pandering to 0.3% of the population, they debase themselves further in the eyes of most of the rest.

Sturgeon has been running government in Scotland for years in a competent, reality-based manner. She'd obliterate Truss or Sunak.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Did you miss out an un- ??

Back in early-2021 my thought were that they'd already blown their electability so may as well just ram through as much more crap as possible while still in office.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Corrected.

Your issue is that you've overestimated their nous. No amount of Daily Mail gaslighting can obscure what's going on now regarding the cost of living and climate change. They've overreached and the world loves to punish nothing so much as hubris.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I'm not really thinking about obscuring things. I'm thinking about things being so blatant and out in the open that the vested interests behind the party have no restraint in what they will push for while the party is in power.

Rail privatisation was rushed because of the expectation Major would lose 1997. I'm expecting the current lot to do things like this on steroids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't think this crowd are intelligent enough to put through far reaching legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I also get the impression she is quite rude in private. Both Sefcovic and Coveney appeared to come away from separate meetings with her a bit shell shocked and in very bad form. It sounds like she was shouting the odds and not even trying to be diplomatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Be great if Sunak conceded now and let her have it. Would hasten the fun of seeing her being Trussed up by her own petard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think if Sunak does not win, and does not get the Chancellor gig, he should resign his seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ultra, ultra safe seat, Tories could sent a donkey with a blue rosette up there and they'd keep it. Wouldn't have any impact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No seat is safe at current time. Even Tories might rebel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've had a brief Liberal time in the seat there since the 1880s. And Sunak isn't some locally popular character who might be able to cause a backlash.

They'd keep the seat.

Looks like Truss is planning to wage war on both the SNP and Sinn Fein. It's hard to understand her strategy, not unless she thinks pursuing an 'English nationalist' agenda is a strong vote winner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If she wants SF to stop looking the voice of reason, she could start by implementing the NI Protocol and stop cockteasing the DUP. It's the only reason SF have swung into view as the adults in the room; by basically, doing nothing except maintaining the status quo.

Of course she won't, that's fantasy on my part. A successful Northern Ireland is an uncomfortable reminder of the folly of Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Liz Truss does look like the winner at the moment.

I confess, I never had her down as the winner on day one.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Delete

“In Northern Ireland, Sinn Fein remains eager to drive a wedge between Northern Ireland and Great Britain and push themselves further and further away."

Well, I for one am shocked that SF are now looking to take the north out of the UK. Didn't see that coming.

---

It's funny how's she's just repeating the "one family" Unionist bullplop that Boris and May started their premiership with. And all they managed to do was damage the Union further. She's going to be those pair on steroids when it comes to speeding up the welcome disintegration of the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's an astonishing degree of hubris and idiocy that seems to think the best way to cure the nationalist itch within the countries in your ... ... is to antagonise the very parties of nationalism, via anglocentric nationalism. I've said it before but it just makes the SF/SNP marketing departments' jobs so much easier; while attacking the North and Scotland's emblematic sense of self just drives more division.

Truss is a fool. Glib to say, but true.

That's not the point. She's pandering to 0.3% of the British population to get elected as leader of her party. After that, she'll continue in this vein as bellicose English nationalism always needs a fresh enemy. The union is doomed and it's because of the largest Unionist party on these islands.

Empowered separatists are future Liz's problem. Same as David Cameron, the can just gets kicked down the road.

It strikes me that her stance could well see her in breach of the Good Friday Agreement. The role of the British government under the GFA is not supposed to be to oppose / block Irish nationalism and to promote NI unionism.

The British Gov are supposed to implement the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement, and the included NI Protocol.

So far, they are short on nearly all matters, and are now in a serious legal dispute with the EU - which is a forerunner to a trade war, which will only have one winner - (Hint - it will not be the UK). Remember Johnson telling the HoC that the EU it can go whistle for the billions owed by the UK to the EU after Brexit - I wonder what happened about that.

Truss is a talentless fool, with little chance of long term survival.

I hope she does not declare war on somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere to bolster her chances of success at the next GE, like her heroine Thatcher did against Argentina to save a windswept island covered in sheep.

• Advertisement

Well, Truss managed to trot out all the fun Jewish stereotypes while dropping in a bizarre "woke" attack on the civil service at the end.

I honestly haven't a notion what she's even trying to get at. It's bananas.

The Tory leadership and membership have gone barking mad. All paranoid nonsense about "lefties", woke people, civil servants, Remainers etc secretly plotting against Britain and against Brexit....they've gone full on Trump.

Though arguably, there is a method to their madness. They actively want to live in a deeply divided country, with all the white English right wingers on one side and everyone else on the other (perhaps they see this as a way of the Tories remaining in power forever).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The fear is astounding. People from dreary shthole towns that no immigrant would be caught dead in worried it will be "over run" with black, asian and South American people like they are told the London boroughs are.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

Absolutely - many of them living in total kips in various parts of England that nobody would dream of moving to, worried about migrants from other countries "ruining" their way of life.

And now they're over to Ireland today to wow approx 500 Tory members. The Tory chair in the North was saying on Morning Ireland how he's become more and more impressed with Liz Truss as time has worn on.

I think he meant he's become more and more impressed with Liz as it became clear she was going to win and he wanted to back the winning horse.

He was asked about the NIP and couldn't really explain why it was bad and also something something green channel. It's farcical.

'He was asked about the NIP and couldn't really explain why it was bad and also something something green channel. It's farcical.'

Perhaps he was mixing up 'Green' vs 'Orange', or 'Green' as in better for the environment, or perhaps he was mesmerised by the problems at Dover. He was strongly in favour of the NI Protocol bill that will remove the protocol - but oblivious of the consequences.

He could not possibly disclose the actual number of Tory party members, but did acknowledge that the Tories only got 0.07% of the votes in NI in the 2019 GE.

This is truly UK democracy in action.

I always boggle a moment when I remember the main UK parties technically exist in the North. What must that be like? Sitting in your little 1 room office above a chip shop, never invited to anything even tangential to "mainstream" in the Politics Industry; always a passenger to events as they happen. It's a wonder the parties exist at all.

The Labour Party do not have a presence in NI. I doubt the Libdems have one. The SNP would not see a reason to have one. There is a Green Party in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You also have places like Bradford that voted to leave, they already have a sizeable 'immigrant' population, in the sense that the immigrants arrived 50-60 years ago. These are effectively pulling the ladder up behind them, voting for the tories to do this and supporting the guys who would have subjected their families to discrimination and racism on arrival, and ideally would have kicked them out.

Advertisement