Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next British PM

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But virtually none of the "immigrants" in Bradford come from the EU.

Being in or out of the EU doesn't stop Pakistanis coming to Bradford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In fact Brexit just stops EU migration.

The problem of uncontrolled immigration has it origin in family reunification from those coming from the Indian subcontinent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's basically just the Tories, and at least previously some, of the UKIP fragments, that try and stand

Lib Dems do have one but it's really just a method to have some national party for Alliance members to convene with.

Labour have members there but won't stand for election. Some have stood on their own as "cross community labour alternative"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Labour have a constituency office organisation in the North but they are not registered as a party. They have usually endorsed the SDLP at election time.

The LibDems similarly use Alliance as their proxy. Similar to how the Tories used to use the UUP.

The Green Party is an all-Ireland party and GPNI is a regional branch in essence, though I note that they have recently changed their corporate identity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Lizz Truss facepalms keep on coming: this time slamming the entirety of the British workforce for lacking "graft", "skill and application" of other nations. All this via some leaked audio.

I'm sure it'll go down brilliantly with those (usually older) types who think everyone else is workshy, too woke for a hard day's work, too cushy from all those workers' rights etc. etc. Can't see it shifting the needle at this late stage mind you.

There are individuals here who like to try and squeeze an "anti British" angle into comments from nutcases like myself; and I really am not. No. I feel a deep well of sympathy for those trying to make do, work the hours god sends just to stand still & not drown ... and the person at the top of the tree - the one who's supposed to steer the ship - knowingly hates you; thinks you're useless and not working hard enough.

As always, James O'Brien reflects my own polemical point of view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, people from ethnic minorities supporting the Tory Party is a bizarre one.

But then again, the concept of the "Red Wall" Tory voters is equally absurd. People who have lived in poverty all their lives but who can't make the connection that the Conservatives and the toffs in England are mostly responsible for their poverty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Watching that video now.

I don't really know what I can add that wouldn't be the same old thing. I'm on a break in Paris and I've spent the day at the Musee de l'Armee which has exhibits on the French Revolution, a cataclysm triggered by peasants being unable to purchase bread.

Of course, most people would be repulsed by the disgust shown towards them by the Britannia Unchained brigade who have never worked a day in their lives but it doesn't matter since they've a rigged electoral system and most of the media in their corner.

An honest, competent government would struggle with what's facing the UK right now. This shower... I can honestly see riots.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

You have to feel sorry for Truss and the Tories, if it was not for the British people, Britain would be rich and the Tories would be feted worlwide.

When I heard this from Truss it reminded me of this below. Not in terms of ideology or anything like that, just the inability of a ruling class to accept (any) responsibility.

Throughout his life, Adolf Hitler had never been able to admit a single mistake or accept responsibility for any failure. And as the thousand-year Reich he founded teetered on the brink of collapse in early 1945, he blamed it on the weakness of the German people and a military organization riddled with timid, disloyal and incompetent officers. If only they had really listened to him and let themselves be inspired. If only they had possessed the same will and determination as him – certainly everything would have turned out differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's just another version of the "poor people are poor because they are too feckless to be rich" stigma that many Tories hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

God preserve us from Liz Truss - thick as mince. She thinks she can sort out the UK's problems, when she hasn't even got round to sorting out that wart on her neck (shades of Mary-Lou there). Trashes her secondary school by saying it was rubbish and she went up to Oxford despite that disadvantage - forgetting that there were other people there at the same time that can confirm it didn't slip down the pan until after she's left. Christ, where are the William Craig's when you need them? . . .

• Advertisement

Truss seems to be quite shifty and insincere. There are suggestions that she doesn't particularly dislike the EU or Europe, even now in 2022 (unlike some of the genuine headbangers in the Tory Party) but that she sees bashing them as a potential vote winner and something that will personally boost her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭farmerval

Is this the logical end of going for pure populism? Two candidates with zero appeal pretending to be whatever they think is trending right now. Total fakes. The media can't even drum up a modicum of excitement around the contest.

Will the Republicans end up the same after Trump, uncharismatic chancers trying to pretend that they're the real thing rather than the non entities that they are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Conservative Home numbers. https://conservativehome.com/2022/08/17/conhomes-latest-tory-leadership-election-survey-truss-60-per-cent-sunak-28-per-cent-nine-per-cent-undecided/

Gap is now 2.7 times the total amount of Don't Knows + neither/won't vote and 60% have already voted. Technically they could vote again because party members aren't treated like the public.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The really disturbing thing about that prospect is that so many are blind to the fact that this is happening.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mind you. Major was seen as a shadow non-entity following Thatcher, but he won the following GE against the odds, and was actually OK as PM. Certainly not the worst, and had the swivel eyed right wing anti-EU nutters blocking everything he needed to do.

More recently, he has come across as a bit of a stateman - mind you that is a bit - the one eyed being king in the valley of the blind.

I doubt that either of the current candidates would ever rise to anything but the disaster most appear to think they will be.

My post is shown an hour early - I wonder why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Clock has been wrong for me since March (when it changed the hour). Maybe you only spotted it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Terrible for a future PM to get caught saying, but isn't she right. Other countries have different work structures and a lot of British people do want the easy option like other western countries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Treating an entire workforce as a monolithic entity, and speaking in inherently negative, demeaning terms is bad enough - worse from the person supposedly charged with working to better that workforce's interests.

Leaving aside the fact that breathless adoration of Chinese work practises... right this minute, the people working Zero Hour contracts as many hours as they can, just to keep the lights on, nevermind be fed properly, might feel that kind of generalisation is bullshít. Because it is.

It's all just a thin facade to treat the lower-income demographics with even more contempt than they already are. Oh they're not working hard enough. If you're poor it's your own fault. If you get sick you shouldn't have lived so unhealthily. See where this goes?

Low productivity in the British economy comes from low investment in British industry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's exactly the same mind set as the GOP in the US , absent the religious zealotry.

"Everything bad that happens to you is all your own fault , pull yourself up by your bootstraps!!"

"No such thing as inequality , it's just some people don't want to help themselves!!"

Of course, the important middle-bit that isn't ever spoken aloud is how Those in Charge are making it increasingly difficult to pull yourself up by your bootstraps in the first place: crippling wages; removing safety nets; curtailing affordable medical facilities; stripping back employment protections, and so on.

Kinda hard to make your own way when those supposedly managing the game keep making it harder, and harder to live. Just get a better paid job! The Chinese work better than you! Unions are bad! Usually snarked by the F You, I Got mine crowd.

Oh absolutely - It's pure deflection from the reality that they and their cohorts are asset stripping the economy for their own benefit.

If they can make it seem like poor people have no one to blame but themselves then they can keep conning a lot of them into still voting for them.

It seems the road to ruination. Politicians who are 'shapeshifting' and who don't really believe in anything but who will pander to their prejudices and bigotry of their voters. They usually make lousy political leaders.

I think that is epitomised by the populist leader's cry:

'Which way did the crowd go? - I need to lead them!'

It would be a bit like a football manager taking over a team and then basing his team selection and tactics on whatever the fans want i.e. the complete opposite of leadership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mussolini restaging the march on Rome after the event so he could get photos of him in front 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭blackcard

These are my people. I am their leader. I must follow them.

• Advertisement

That is a better version of the cult populist leader.

Advertisement