Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about wrl ...tmp file for an idiot please.

• 17-08-2022 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭

Last week the name of one of the Word files in a folder in OneDrive changed name to: WRL1798 (or such number) and tmp.

For example: WRL2828TMP.

When I tried to open it it a small box opened up saying something like

'Word experienced an error in trying to open this file. Click to see if you have permission etc etc.

Could not open it. I googled and YouTubed what this meant but could not really understand it.

There was YouTube videos on how to sort this issue but it was beyond me. So I have some simple questions.

1 What happened to my Word file all of a sudden? Why did it go like that? What did I do wrong?

2 Does it mean that that file is corrupted?

3 Can I get it back?

4 Is the file lost?

5 What can I do to make sure this does not happen again?

Any advice simply explained would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

Make a copy of the file, put it on you PC. Go to menu View, enable view file extensions. The wrlfile should now be wrlfile.xxx, where xxx could be anything. Change the letters after the . to txt, so the file is now wrlfile.txt. See if it will open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's a temp file created while Word is open. Your file did not get changed *to* that, but word may have crashed taking the file with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I think I managed to do that but when I opened it it was all gibberish.

But can you tell me , as simply as possible, what happened that file or as L1011 has said did Word just crash?

That file was not overly important but I am very worried that an impprtant file may do the same. What can i do to ensure this does not happen again?

By the way, I also uploaded many folders from OneDrive to Google Drive and some files had that WRL thing and yet when I clicked on THEM i did not get that message Word experienced an error in trying to open this file. Click to see if you have permission etc . They opened up all right!

What's going on?

Advertisement