Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

At this stage, I'm beginning to think Trump will either be in jail or the White House come 2025.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The GQP don't know the meaning of the meaning of the word "Bipartisanship" (partially because is has five syllables)

The US is already in big trouble. Could you ever imagine TDs losing their seats in the Dail because they refused to engage in conspiracy theories?

It really is mental. Like these places where the minister for health states that drinking special tea and prayer is a guaranteed vaccine against Covid (And then they die from it). Remember bleach and shining lightbulbs internally?

It really is shocking that the posterchild for core GOP values is now not considered extreme enough. (Well actually it's not). I said months ago, that these things escalate. First it was Obama birther thing, then pizzagate, then election fraud then... JFK Jr returning to run as Trump's VP. What happens when trump and MGT and the others aren't extreme enough. What happens when an American David Icke comes along and says he wants to get rid of the giant lizard people? (They wear human form you know). You KNOW these conspiracy theories about hidden governments/politics always go in one direction....

I ask anyone: Pro-Trump, anti-Trump, Dem supporter, GOP supporter, GQP supporter, what do you think the US political landscape will be like in 2050?

We all have our biases.That's fair enough. I'll go first:

I am not American but would consider myself pretty liberal (Although not as liberal as some). I would side more with core Dem values than GOP values. However I have respect for some GOP core values: A strong military is required for a superpower in the real world. However I draw a line between trump/GQP and the GOP. I believe the GQP's targeting of conspiracy theorists, racists, homophobes, general xenophobes, science-deniers, right-wing religious groups etc, is leading them down a path of hate and fear of the different.

I hope that this will change (Probably not until 2030 or so). That the GOP will regain their party and level heads can engage in meaningful discussion and cooperation. I HOPE this happens. I am an optimist and I believe it will happen.

When that movie Idiocracy came out it was blasted as being mean-spirited. But... The last 6 years? It's less of a stretch than it was.

Anyway, I've posted quite a bit here lately so I will give it a miss for a while. It's just too bleak.

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So.. He's essentially admitting to taking them explicitly to hide them to prevent people from seeing them?

It's probably the closest thing to the truth we've had so far , but it blows all the other "excuses" they've been market testing this week completely out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wait, hold on. Isn't that Trump effectively admitting to holding onto classified documents? Of course he thinks it offers cover, but he has now landed himself in a complete mess as he has admitted that he lied, through his lawyer, when stating earlier that all documents had been returned.

He can't claim that he didn't know the documents were still classified, his excuse for holding them was not that they weren't classified but rather that he didn't trust the NA to secure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I find it constantly astounding that each day, there is another piece of information leaks out about Trump and his cases.

You hear of other high profile people under investigation, but in their cases, there is radio silence for weeks.

It is either him mouthing off or one of his proxies who can't keep their mouth shut.. and it is always to their detriment.

• Advertisement

On the lawyer point, infinitely smarter folk than me have said that a competent lawyer would have moved for a restraining order against inspection of the documents in order to ascertain what was privileged and what was not.

Apparently Michael Cohen's team had one filed within 4 days.

Nothing so far from Trump's team!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's a combination of all of the above.

He himself can't keep his mouth shut and has also shown repeatedly throughout his entire life that he has absolutely zero loyalty to anyone other than himself and wouldn't even pause for thought when ruining someone else if it was remotely beneficial to him , so he enables that culture around him.

People around him happily throw one and other under the bus to protect themselves or to get ahead as none of them actually like or respect each other and everything about their relationships is 100% transactional , just like the man at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think it is that effectively those people looking to offer excuses for Trump don't actually know anything of the situation. We see it here on the threads. Posters come out batting for Trump based on Trump's initial line, but then look silly when Trump changes tack due to additional information becoming available.

I think it is the same with the likes of Hannity & Tucker and the other talking heads. They take their lead from whatever Trump says and try to fit an argument to that, before then having to change tack when Trump changes.

Remember MTG initial baled the FBI. That is all nonsense now, the FBI were pretty much perfect in this (that doesn't mean he is guilty of course). Not it turns out Trump was holding on to the documents deliberately so all those excuses look silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I think Republican party will continue to make themselves more and more unelectable on a national level. I said previously few years ago before last election we wouldn't see another Republican president in this decade and I am starting to think that we won't see another Republican president full stop ever again.

Trump fully controls every aspect of that party. We have seen that this past week with how much the Republicans tried to defend Trumps actions. He will run in 2024 (anyone believing anyone would challenge him was delusional) and 2028 is my prediction losing both times by bigger margins. Even after that he will still have total control on a dying party, one even more far right conspiracy laden than the one we know today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

These people aren't going to be brought back to reality any time soon. They're all in on Trump now, like the People's Temple were all in on Jim Jones. Look at how that turned out.

• Advertisement

While in a normal world, you are absolutely correct , the problem with that theory is the GOP control at the state level in multiple swing states.

They will gerrymander and suppress voting access to an enormous degree and if that doesn't work they will simply over-turn results they don't like at Secretary of State or Governor level.

You have multiple "Big lie" exponents running in 2022 for Governor and State Sec in several key States. If those people win then the GOP candidate will win their State in 2024 by hook or by crook.

And the SCOTUS will let them away with it.

Remember , Roberts got his job as Chief Justice from Bush as reward for leading the legal challenges in Florida in 2000.

The problem is that if you look across smaller state-run elections, more and more election deniers are being elected to important state legislature roles. They'll be quite happy to throw out election results if they don't favour the Dear Leader. Democracy in the US only survived in 2020 because of people like Brad Raffensperger and Rusty Bowers. If the likes of those people get replaced by Trump devotees, free and fair elections are going to matter less and less.

Not a chance - there's enough support to get Trump back in the Whitehouse. I thought he'd split the party, but they've sided with him throughout - if only to keep Democrats out.

The only thing stopping him would be a convivtion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

And that's why the ridiculous court cases and sworn affidavits brought by the Trump team in the wake of the 2020 election don't really matter. It was never about successfully demonstrating that fraud took place, but rather about planting that seed in the mind of voters and generating political will to restrict voting rights and install Trump loyalists in positions that would make it easier to circumvent democratic results in future elections if those results aren't to Trump's liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

...or in Mexico drinking Tea and eating Big macs. 😁

Dan.

Absolutely..

It's never been about winning (at least not for those outside the immediate Trump inner circle) it's all about making people think that all these new voting laws are necessary so they can absolutely control the outcome of all future elections..

Respectfully disagree.

He main hold the base, but moderate republicans, independents and democrats will not stomach Trump for 4 more years.

I am hoping he runs frankly.

The midterms will be an indication but only truly relevant at that moment in time.

There are very few moderate Republicans left in places of influence - they either go pro-Trump or lose their ats a la Cheney. The democrats aren't doing anything worthwhile to inspire confidence. Dunno about the independents.

"There are very few moderate Republicans left in places of influence - they either go pro-Trump or lose their ats a la Cheney"

The people running may win the nomination, but it's all about what the public want when it comes to the elections. Sure, there are examples of extreme trumpite candidates winning but there are also examples of those losing.

Red states may remain red, but there will be a lot more closely run elections in battleground states.

"The democrats aren't doing anything worthwhile to inspire confidence."

The fact is they have. There is a problem with messaging but they absolutely have passed key legislation. They need to nail that **** down. The problem is, Trump's legal woes are a lot more interesting to people so little time is spent informing folks on positive news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I like to be optimistic, the fucker could keel over and die before 2025. He's not exactly young.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can't remember who it was, maybe John Oliver, who did a piece about how the Democrats keep focusing on Federal elections; the House and Senate. The GOP put a lot of effort into the State elections; local judges, school boards, mayors, State officials etc.

It helps the GOP because it gives them greater control in what happens within the states, what's being taught in schools, police budgets, state laws, gerrymandering and also voting laws (how many polling centres, where are they, what ID is needed, voting registers etc).

That's a huge part of why the GOP maintain the hold they have over a lot of states which could otherwise shift away from them. The Dems aim for the level where they can do big things nationally, but the GOP are more focused on more numerous, smaller changes throughout the country.

Trump has created and fired up enough of a rabid base at low levels who will seep into those school boards and local official levels that will end up having a huge impact further down the line.

Are the swing voters going to be happy with the bills though? Even if they know about them?

But therin lies the other porblem: the media. They will always focus on Trum0, good or bad.

Elections are ultimateyl won by who shouts the loudest - and that's going to be te Republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Also the food he claims to eat coupled with his bizarre theory that humans have a finite amount of energy like a battery so he refuses to do any formal exercise isn't gonna leave him long for this world

Well when you hire sycophantic doctors like Ronny Jackson who tell you you're the healthiest President who ever lived, why would you feel the need to eat better or do exercise?

Can you imagine the conspiracy theories of he did die?

"TRUMP / JFK Jr 2052 - Make Qamerica Great Again!"

If anyone is absolutely guaranteed to live to the age of 100, it's Donald J Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Economics101

We know that turnout in mid-terms is less than in Presidential election years: this probably benefits the GOP. Next question: what is the turnout in primaries, like Wyoming? If it's quite low (jut a hunch) then a general election result could be quite different when those (alas) lazy Dems turn out. Not much info on this side of the pond about these details.

• Advertisement

Wyoming is tiny population wise , only a few hundred thousand in total (they still get 2 Senators though!!)

Wyoming is as Red as anywhere could be - The Primary is the real election there.

Cheney was beaten by a ratio of ~2:1 which is roughly what the general election would look like for the GOP against any Democrat challenger.

That seat is staying with the GOP and will be taken by Hageman who believes the Big lie and has a long career as a lawyer fighting against Environmental and social laws in Wyoming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement