Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#IrelandIsFull trending on twitter... Have we reached boiling point?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Twitter users are not representative of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Full to anyone who isnt here already I presume.

You're right - twitter users tend to be far more liberal than the populace at large.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,856 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The population of Greater Manchester alone is 4 million people.

I assume "Manchester is full" isn't trending on Twitter over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've heard murmurings from people whom I'd never have heard anything from before. Not sure it's just the usual cohorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Does Manchester have an open door immigration policy for Ukrianinans et al? A policy that invites people in to get access to resources it could hardly provide before for Mancunians, Health care, housing ect?

Wake up and smell the coffee.

#Irelandisfull

• Advertisement

We're one of the least populated countries in western Europe. Describing such a country as being "full" is a bit preposterous. We're four times the size of Wales and they have a population of over 3 million (and that's a poor country with limited resources).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mustardorcustard

No, they aren't.

But the housing crisis is representative of Ireland. The education and healthcare situation is representative of Ireland, and more besides.

And all those significant problems have one thing at their foundation; too many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Concerns about stress on infastructure and labour protectionism go unaddressed and are waved away with dishonest accusations of racial prejudice. What's new?

The marriage of the thirst for cheap labour and leftist antiracism is fascinating to me.

Fair play to the big capitalists for leveraging leftist delusion and using leftist cultural dictators as a Praetorian Guard for their own cold hard financial logic and calculation in blowing up the labour pool and suppressing wages. Very clever.

So people sleeping in tent's is the opposite of #Irelandisfull?

Gormanstown is just a holiday camp right?

The housing crisis is playing into the escalating resentment in a massive way. Many people are incorrectly channelling frustrations towards immigrants instead of towards the policymakers where it should be channelled. Policy makers need to put the controls in place to manage the flow until we get our **** together as a country. I don't think any modelling is done to see what is needed to handle inwards immigration from a jobs and infrastructure perspective.

Precarious times, no confidence in any parties to get on top of things. There is a huge amount of self interest in Dail Eireann.

My missus is an immigrant to this country, although she came in arguably different times. 2014, more rental supply etc. That's just my 2c.

We have always been AWFUL at infrastructure. Reactive and never proactive.

• Advertisement

It's really hard to believe this stuff. Like, seriously?

This might be news to ye, but hardly anyone lives in the antarctic. Hardly anyone lives at the pinnacle of mountains. Nobody lives at the bottom of the sea. You won't find too many people living in the Sahara desert.

Now, take a moment to yourselves, and ask, WHY IS THAT?

I'll help ye along.

How many schools are on the seabed, besides schools of fish? How many hospitals are in the middle of the Sahara? How many apartment blocks are teetering off the side of kilimanjaro?

Capacity. Look up the word capacity, specifically living capacity and population capacity.

I could be wrong of course, there is no capacity for human habitation in the clouds, yet some of ye live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭BagofWeed

Its not the immigrants that have steadfastly refused to plan for population increases. Its not the immigrants that object to almost every planned development. Its not the immigrants that refuse to acknowledge that Ireland has changed dramatically and that our planning laws needs to be completely changed. When you consistently do things the 'Irish Way' instead of the right way then expect failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Ireland is over subscribed, we are 2 milion too many in fairness when you hear an 80 year woman is 34 hours on a chair in A & E ? these are realities and drawing in more non irish does not help this failing in the health service. Schools houses creches where can we facilitate more folk. The gove dont have the interest or wherewith all to solve any problems and divert scrutiny by being the champions of war refugees ! All posturing and going nowhere.

Full based on current resources we have

We do not have the accommodation to house more people, the school places or teachers to teach them, the hospital capacity to treat them, the public transport capacity to move them, the energy generation for their added leccy usage, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

49% of new nursing and midwifery registrants in Ireland in 2019 were from outside the EU, and nurses and midwives from India and from all over the world are central to our healthcare community and our frontline workforce.

Should we not allow these nurses to come to Ireland will that solve our problems in hospitals?

Not a single one of these immigration defenders, go and check back, has even mentioned the existing and very much real problems.

Not one.

Pure, unadulterated ignorance. The problem is that this ignorance is having a measurable and quantifiable impact on all of us.

We're going to see where it leads soon enough, nobody will be able to play ignorant when it comes down to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Haha we have 1/4 the population of the Netherlands.

Don't give me that crap about housing. There are literally hundreds of ghost estates around the country. In my small town here in Roscommon there are dozens of unused apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Saying Ireland is full isn’t racist.

however people in Ireland, taxpayers, citizens, Irish people have a concern, an extremely valid one as relates to the direction the country in heading… it’s not racist to wish to discuss that. Of course the champions and advocates for and of multiculturalism will disingenuously claim racism and all sorts.

they want to shut down discussion, it’s not in their interest to engage honestly with people as their argument for what they advocate is shambolic, see through and bull and bluster basically.

is Ireland full ? Close to being yes I think…the manner of which our population is being purposefully and consciously increased and the catalysts for it, no sign of any resistance to it by governments… it won’t be long becoming full….

its appalling really… there is no way to halt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We'd Harris on RTE earlier using the Ukrainians to excuse no planning for the student accommodation crisis. There's plans now, weeks before the students arrive on campus. Why can't these politicians organise and plan ahead?

Harris and others need to stop leaning on the Ukrainians to excuse their own poor governance.

The problem is they will have to compete with other immigrants for access to a tent to live in.

• Advertisement

There are literally hundreds of ghost estates around the country. 

source?

Capacity is definitely a big issue, particularly in terms of housing. But immigrants are not to blame for a housing shortage - that is 100% on the Irish government for failing to build houses for the last 15 years and failing to anticipate that the Irish population would hit 5 million.

How does the government get a free pass here and immigrants blamed instead?

Who said immigrants are to blame?

However we have these very real capacity problems right now, we are already in crisis. So to keep our open door policies at this point is madness, and will only make things worse. We have reached breaking point already, we have reached our current "full" point.

There is ton of housing units lying empty across the country. Last details I can find we have 16 pupils for every teacher which average for first World nation.

Public transport in my area is nearly always empty unless there is a big match in Croke Park then train is packedor Sunday night going back to college. The Westport to Athlone bus has multiple journeys per day and always empty.

Spurious logic.

If this trend was oh so brilliant, then why is the fooking operating capacity of hospitals going in the opposite direction?

Here's my idea.

Let's invite in 10 million extra people next month to build houses, then we'll invite in 20 million people the next month to build houses for the 30 million arriving the next month. Sort of like a pyramid shaped plan that could never go wrong.

If we just gave everyone a million euros on earth, everyone would be rich!

If we just give everyone enough food to eat on earth, nobody will die of starvation!

And other similarly brilliant ideas, coming soon to you from the imaginations of 8 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Maybe the policy is deliberate.

Encourage more immigration when housing is already almost unavailable.

Ferment anger and direct the anger towards immigrants.

Promise immigration control in next election, something left wing parties will be reluctant to do and thus poach votes from the left.

Problem, solution.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

And other similarly brilliant ideas, coming soon to you from the imaginations of 8 year olds.

They are your ideas, the only one who posted them is you. Are you implying you are an 8 year old?

Drive around, drive to any decent sized town in Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Offaly, Westmeath, Longford, Leitrim you will see them

16 pupils for every teacher

That is pure BS. Not a hope in hell we're close to those numbers

The average class size in Irish primary schools during the period of this report was 24:1, compared to the EU average of 20 pupils per class and an OECD average, as confirmed in today’s report, of 21 pupils. Countries such as Estonia, Finland and Poland fare better again with an average of less than 20 pupils per class.

And a ton of housing units lying empty across the country? Yeah right. I guess the housing crisis over the last 5 years was all made up

• Advertisement

Jesus h christ. That's the 4th time in a row people have rushed in with that "idea"

We need to reopen asylums again.

No, literal space is a measure of nothing. Why don't you hover 1000 feet off the ground in a cloud? That's a great idea, just think of how many extra people could live in Irish airspace. Wouldn't need to pay rent, you could wear a Cape and playtime would last forever. If you got a pain in your tumtum you could float over to the cloud hospital. Good Times!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement