Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,780 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am amazed he is staying. Pointless.

Year could not be much worse - Kerry winning Sam, Meath winning the ladies, and now Dessie staying.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Disappointing. We have 2 or 3 years left before we slip into mediocrity. We're wasting those years not trying to go in a different direction with management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

No word yet. Heard Collins staying on as Clare manager.

No contenders to replace. Dessie. Next manager u20 appointed needs to a future senior manager. Dessie needs to blood more of the u20s from 2019 & 2020 teams in D2 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

No contender seemed out there unfortunately it seems so two maybe only one more year of Dessie . The first thing he must improve his team around him with a Couple of lads on the team another year down the road and a boosted Kerry team the gap might be wider next year unless we get back on track .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I've no problem with Dessie staying. With Con O Callaghan fit this year we'd have beaten Kerry and won the All Ireland. Fair play to Dessie he knows Kerry are here to stay with a good team but he's obvioulsy ready to embrace the challenge and restore us to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Chuffed? No. Idgaf who manages any county apart from Kerry. I'd jnteract a lot with the dublin gaa account during the season so it popped up and I posted it here after checking had it been mentioned already.

From the outside looking in, it doesn't look like anyone credible/capable is there to replace him. Even last night I was out with 2 dubs for drinks and neither of them were able to name a replacement if dessie didn't stay.

The man has won an all Ireland. I know you'll say you don't count it but you're on your own with that one. It counts as much as any other. Last year, nothing went right in the league and they almost made it to another all Ireland final after sorting stuff out.

Con will be back this year and he's a game changer.

I think people that are unhappy with this appointment need to reevaluate and look at the bigger picture of it. (I hate the phrase) but it's a team in transition with lack of an alternative manager available

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Don't forget about being relegated.

I get there may not be an stand out candidates to take over but Dessie is out of his depth.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Well he's not on his own because I feel the same. We might both be off our heads though!

Is it a team in transition or was it a team in transition this year more precisely? Yes Gannon, Lahiff and O'Dell were new to championship football but it was a very experienced team (not old) outside of that. I choose to judge him on what I see from those lads and I have to be honest they were taken apart on the drawing board by Kerry. In loads of areas. We have really capable players and the attitude, epitomised by McCarthy, was super but the sum of the collective just wasn't going to get it done. I draw a straight comparison with O'Connor and we come off badly. I'm sorry but we just do. It's obvious in how we attack and defend. There's a naivety to it (compared to what's required to win an AI) and it's not player dependent.

We live in hope though. Kerry are going to take a year off next year because first time winners always bounce the following year. We might just have enough to get over the line against the lesser teams.

I will love to be proved wrong in two years time.

With a revitalised young vibrant Dublin panel, a decent div 1 and championship, and a clear tactical strategy to get the best out of what is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

On the Dublin hurling manager I heard Anthony Cunningham mentioned. I don't know how reliable that information is though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

No other candidate or not. Maybe Dessie should have said I’m stepping down. Relegated and didn’t set things a light even in the championship should mean he should do the honourable thing and move on

im not close to it any truth to rumour of jayo going to Monaghan? If there is then why not Dublin job? He has an all Ireland medal as someone pointed out that on Dessie as advantage. Worked under Jim. So can see how a well oiled machine works.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Fortune is staying with Westmeath. Everything is pointing to Gilroy coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

I've also heard Eddie Brennan could be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem is that you need to replace 3-4 players a year between the team and squad every year for the next 3+ years. At least two of them every year will be players that are leaders in the team.

Successful under age teams can be decieving. The fact that Sean OSe and Clifford went straight into senior cost Kerry 2+ U20/21 championships.

Slava Ukrainii

Likes of Jayo and Paddy Christie have no chance of Dublin senior role as both had disastrous spells as Dublin minor .Paddy 2016 and Jayo 2019. Paul Clarke and Declan Darcy have little management experience and like Jayo more suiting to coaching than managing.

Tommy Conroy from Vincents with the right team around him would have been a good candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think ye are being a bit harsh on dessie - ye cruised past every team this year. Kerry was the first test, the eventual all ireland winners needed a hail mary free with the last kick of the ball to beat ye. Mayo last year needed a retaken free and extra time.

You've literally been a kick of a ball from the all ireland final in the last two years - I'd be careful what ye wish for, many teams have chose revolution instead of evolution and spent years in the wilderness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Any managerial news on the hurling front. At least it won't be Davy Fitz and perhaps Donal Og Cusack will follow him to Waterford, hopefully. Dublin don't need either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Donal Og won't go anywhere, he is getting too much soft money off RTE bullsh!tting.

He even get to play with a pad on TV as well

Slava Ukrainii

Raheny v Templeogue - worth a watch for those who missed it.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Another dramatic game -

SFC 1 - Castleknock v Whitehall Colmcille

Enjoyable game of football. Fair play to Whitehall for hanging in.

Game on now 47th ish minute between Boden and Ballymun. Boden dragged themselves back into it with three quick goals. Looked like Ballymun were coasting beforehand.

Edit- 4th Boden goal now compltete turn around.

Micheal Donoghue is the new Dublin senior hurling manager. What a coup by the Dublin CB. I expect them to do great things next year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Micheál Donoghue gets it for three years. Happy enough that we've got a manager with previous winning experience, he did a fair job with Galway, but that was with Joe Canning in the form of his life for most of it.

He’ll be assisted by selectors Francis Forde, Noel Larkin and Shane O’Brien with Orien also appointed as the Dublin U20 hurling manager for the three-year period.

I'm guessing that means O'Brien is U20 manager, perhaps to provide some continuity through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Excellent appointment for our hurlers. Welcome Michael to the capital we hope it will be a fruitful partnership. No courting controversy or seeking the headlines with this man. Goes about his business in a quiet dignified manner. I'm delighted with the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

I've always admired Micheál Donoghue. Comes across well on TV and knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Best of luck to him, he'll have his work cut out.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's not the worst appointment in the world is it.

Advertisement