Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Rochelle safe place to lock up bikes

Options
  • 26-06-2022 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all, hopefully someone on here can share their experience. I'm off on hols with the kids to France soon and one of the things we'd like to do is cycle over to La Rochelle from Ile de Ré for a day's wandering around and seeing the sights. My only concern is finding somewhere safe to lock up the bikes for a few hours. Anyone have any knowledge of that neck of the woods? Any other cycling related knowledge/suggestions for the area welcome too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I wouldn't worry about it- unless you're planning to take the "good" bikes. France is a cycling friendly country with bikes everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Theres an abundance of Sheffield stands all around the place if you’ve got decent locks, they should be safe enough. I think some of the car parks for hotels etc might have spots too.

Its probably about 20-25km from Île de Ré to La Rochelle by bike though, depending which end of the island you’re on

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Duplotastic

Cheers T-Maxx. We'd do France most years but generally in much more rural areas. I suppose it's the fact that it's a city that has me thinking about it. Boys' bikes are nothing special, but I'll have my lovely Cannondale cx.

The cycling itself will be no problem. Thanks for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Cycling over the bridge is fantastic. It can be challenging as it gets very windy but it is a fabulous experience.

• Advertisement

Well the heat knocked us for six, so we weren't able to do the spin in the end. We did get a few cycles in on Ile d'Oleron though and also out by Le Croisic a week or so later. Never cycled on a road so smooth in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Oleron is brilliant for cycling, especially with kids. I've never seen such a fine set of cycle paths (and that was 10 years ago)

Advertisement