Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Regarding the water mains upgrade, does anyone know will it improve the water pressure in the area, or is it just replacement works?

Parked cars cleared from Fairview Strand and Ballybough Road (by the Post Office) made things much easier today.

Personally I prefer taking the route behind the flats and up by the canal rather than the yield near the Centra at the Five Lamps to get back onto the North Strand, (I find it much easier to see oncoming traffic), but I worry if too many speedy gonzalez types do the same they will cut it off. That whole area is a 30km zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭growleaves

From the way the Irish Times article is written, they are clearly trying to get people used to the idea that more roads will be closed and the road system (at least partially) wound down. Cars and motorists are discussed in every paragraph.

It isn't about cyclists, since it isn't necessary to close roads in order to open up cycle lanes. So I conclude that closing roads is the main thing.

Today Fairview, tomorrow the country.

Personally I will ride through the post-apocalyptic wasteland on a white horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Big roads going into and through cities will of course be wound down eventually, it was a mistake to build them anyway and Dublin was spared the worst of the urban road building that exists in the rest of Europe and ..gasp.... America. Unfortunately the scheme being currently built through fairview includes a 6 lane road, which is disappointing but I guess that's a symptom of how long this scheme is in planning, outdated concepts like multi lane roads in cities are included so I won't be this iteration of the project that brings about real change

Nothing on this from yesterday or this morning?

Must be going smoothly, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Saw a Garda patrol bike giving abuse to private vehicles for breaking the rules of the road yesterday. Presumably they're just cautioning people for now which is probably a good way to start, but from the tone of conversation I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that.

• Advertisement

good. Those lads on the patrol bikes can be pretty….erm…..persuasive

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Richmond road has been grand for me since Tuesday, when it was very bad. Perhaps a tweak of the lights as suggested. Still expect some carnage when the schools come back though.

Have seen private cars on inbound on North strand road every day.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

If they’re not going to issue FPNs for it, a decent alternative is to ask them to pull in somewhere unobtrusive and leave them stewing. If their time is so important that they want to use the bus lane illegally, let them sit there for as long as possible to contemplate their actions (and watch everyone else sail past!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You cannot ignore consequences when it comes to law enforcement where there are limited resources

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Still many private cars sailing along.

Still silly delays going out of Fairview. Something badly wrong with the light sequence there - has been from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The ultimate irony being he went to work at another jeweller that has zero parking, is on a pedestrianised street, and is one of the most successful jewellers in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I live on a street off North Strand. We were not told local access was allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The light sequence has definitely been shortened but the main delay are cars filtering through to Fairview strand just blocking the road when they get caught in no man's land as the lights change. They should have put a big yellow box there.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

It’s sort of ridiculous that people need a yellow box to remind them not to block a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Completely agree with you yet it happens all the time.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Local access is not allowed, except via the (as yet) unaffected west other side of the road. If you are coming out of a side street, you must turn towards fairview, and when coming back, you must go around via Ballybough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Pedestrians also aren't supposed to cross on red but they do risking their own life and putting in danger others (e.g., cyclists). So many times I've seen garda crossing on red or garda speeding in a car, using wrong lane or using phone while driving - and all that with no lights/siren.

Post edited by Citrus_8 on

They should all be fined/prosecuted.

The non-enforcement of laws in this country is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

What makes you think that? And plenty of cars going from Fairview right through past the five lamps. Does that still count as local to you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Well they shouldn't but we are in a situation now where the govt loves legislation but does not back it up with enforcement. Were a govt to come into power and every law be enforced we would be in very restrictive place which would cause widespread anger and possibly unrest.

Anyone remember Fianna Fail's zero tolerance election promise?

I pay no attention to election promises. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭bikeman1

All moving fine on the Northside today. Didn't hear any major issues at the weekend. I was on a bus on Friday heading into town. The 5 lamps heading into town (and presumably the other way too) have a much longer wait. There is a very decent right turn filter for turning off Portland Row and onto Amiens St.

Also watched a guy come out at the Annesley Pub where there are huge markings on the road, no right turn signs and cones directing you left there, to drive around them and turn right and head in towards town in the bus lane. Time for AGS to be out in their new uniforms policing this section before the "locals" make up their own rules.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I note that Google maps have updated their streetview imagery through Fairview & N. Strand to footage captured in May & June 2022 when the works completed were limited to a few cones put in place.

The queues of cars heading outbound which don't appear to be moving should give an indication of the probelm to those that refuse to acknowledge the congestion.

What is also somewhat satisfying is that across the road from Duggan's jewellers, three of the four legal spaces are empty!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The diversion will be removed by the end of the month anyway because of all the chaos according to posters on here

Once the kids go back to school and it starts raining, that's when the real chaos begins apparently.

This year will definitely be unlike every other September when the schools went back, everyone adjusted their commuting times accordingly and there was no congestion or additional delays at all. The good old times, we used to call them 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well only after a lot of grumbling for a number of weeks about traffic jams, not being able to get on buses etc.

It is never seamless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Saville pl going outbound is total gridlock due to the removal of the left turn onto amiens st, traffic is backed up across the liffey upto Pearse St, bravo Owen keegan.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I got stuck in that last week. But that section was already bad anyway.

Advertisement