Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Aw man, what a show. It was such a great perfect ending. I only watched the first episode again recently and Jimmy arrives at Chuck's delighted he'd finally got the Financial Times among his daily drop off items and that was the day Chuck got the cheque from HHM. The moment we saw in the last episode with Chuck was before that so I wonder is that where he'd go back to? Before it all started?

It was a really great ending and the bit from the cast was a super touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dmn22

One thing I loved about BCS was the misdirection. I remember reading a theory that 'Slippin' Jimmy' would be caught after slipping in the Nebraska icy conditions while fleeing the police and that what started his con man success would ironically bring him down.

In the finale, when Jimmy/Saul is fleeing his house towards the tunnel to avoid the police helicopter he is running and trying to keep his balance on the slippery ice and just when you think this is it, Slippin Jimmy is about to literally slip, he makes it into the tunnel safely.

Love the fact you sometimes think you know what's going to happen only for the writers to pull the rug from under you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

On Jimmy’s u-turn in court. As well as the redemption idea. Was it to take the limelight off Kim?

In the hope Kim would now be left alone or at least treated lightly.

The self sabotage reminded me how he felt guilty about Irene and his Sandpaper scheme. Then wrecked it at his own cost. To ‘do the right thing’ and ‘put things right’

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Kim confession undoubtedly shocked him. But I think he negotiated the 'deal' precisely because he wanted to upend it in the court, in a way he couldn't have done any other way. He knew what he was doing from the moment he saw the graffitti on the wall of the cell.

Hence appointing himself as his own defence, the courts/law was Jimmy's realm, he could control things there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think his confession could do much to negate what was happening to Kim. She signed a confession fully detailing her own involvement. Even though no criminal charges were going to come from it, Howard's wife could sue her. Regardless of what Jimmy said in court, the fact he was going to prison and would have had no assets to go after means Howard's wife still could have gone after Kim.

It's possible Kim's lawyer could argue that Jimmy bore more responsibility and played up his confession and that Kim merely got swept up in his actions and turned her life around after whereas Jimmy didn't, or maybe Howard's wife herself might think that and decide it wasn't worth bringing a case against Kim, but I think that would still have been true whether Jimmy took the 7 year deal or the full sentence, as Kim's confession came before Jimmy's capture/arrest.

Jimmy's u-turn was more about his own need to confess. Maybe it might slightly help Kim, but I don't think it was a defined reason for doing it. I think the fact Kim confessed and was owning up to what she'd done (like Jimmy challenged her to do but didn't actually think she would) was the spark that caused Jimmy to finally realise he needed to drop Saul Goodman and finally change his own path.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

I`d like to think that Jimmy appeals the length of the sentence, gets it down to fifteen years, hooks up with Kim when he gets out and he joins Kim in free legal aid work.

what a brilliant series

He turned his back on Saul when he put the shirt and tie back on the rack in the mall store I think. Allowing Marian to press the alarm was another key moment, he knew that was the end of Gene too. The moment he realised he needed to get back to being Jimmy was the hysterical laughing when he saw the prison graffitti.

He deliberately dressed as Saul for the court so he could publicly and sensationally take him down. Kim being there was a huge bonus for him but not the main reason he did it.

TBH, and it will never happen, but I'd sign up for a series of Jimmy's prison life right now. Here's my credit card! 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,706 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I've given it my first watch , which lets me see the outcome, but without me trying to capture all the detail and missing the wood for the trees. Gutted at the outcome, even though there certainly had to be a reckoning .

When Jimmy was giving his statement to the prosecutors, it felt like he was confessing all, to us. Well, especially me, so that I would accept the outcome.

When we saw Kim at the back of the court, I knew he was going to fall on his sword to a certain extent - he still loves her after all. When Kim visited him in jail, that was a tough watch. Them having a smoke against the wall, just like way-back-when in HHM. Or outside Wexler/Magill .

In the scene in the vacuum cleaner shop, Walt says "I'd never hire YOU as a lawyer", I was thinking "the cheek of you, meth cook and murderer" - and Jimmy's crestfallen expression when Walt said it. I'm not sure yet of the significance of the use of the time machine to go back to the first slip and fall, other than on the face of it to remind us of Jimmy's origins. Then the scene at the water tank in the desert - "so it was all about the money?" Reinforcing the negative aspects of Jimmy's character. Once again preparing us for the outcome.

And the scene with Chuck , "our conversations always end the same way" said in an accusing way at Jimmy, when in reality Chuck was a snob and didn't want his little brother getting into the law through the back door. Jimmy was right, Chuck wouldn't discuss the type of cases Jimmy was taking, and probability wouldn't even take on those clients. If anything, this re-ignites my sympathy for Jimmy and - let's call it antipathy - for Chuck. These 'conversations' were in fact always about Jimmy abandoning the law, perhaps returning to the mail room.

It was interesting seeing Kim back in 'Doc Review' , but this time voluntarily.

Anyway, looks like I was completely wrong about how they'd do it. I didn't think they could swing a judicial ending, but they did. And they did it well, in my opinion. There's no wiggle room, Jimmy will see out his days as Saul the Baker, with free advice to the inmates which should keep him sweet with everyone and save him from the shank.

While there are many other excellent series out there, there's nothing where I have become so invested in the characters the way I did with Jimmy and Kim and Mike. I'll miss them.

I'll also miss all the chat on this thread. It was fantastic reading the theories and explanations, from all of you. You all contributed to making the story even better for me. Wonderful. Hopefully something else comes along that we all, once again, get to enjoy and share our thoughts with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Is this the end for the Breaking Bad world? I wonder if there's anything else they could do.

People saying BCS was slow. And I agree that the pace was very measured. But watching that S1-6 recap posted yesterday, I forgot how much was covered in the early seasons. I think a vast and complex story was told here. From Chuck, through HHM and Sandpiper, through the whole Gus & Mike backstory, to it all violently unravelling. Not sure how that can be described as slow tbh. Maybe just not enough action for some in the early days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Likewise. I really enjoyed reading the insights on this thread. There were so many subtle things I would've missed had it not been for this thread. Cheers all!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,706 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Funny you should say that interview given to AMC by Peter Gould and another from Rhea Seehorn, there could be a Kim Wexler spinoff in the future but can't see it happening for. 5 plus years from now

Peter Gould

Rhea Seehorn

I suppose as long as Peter and Vince were onboard it could work I suppose

I would say Gould/Gilligan are wary of over egging the BB/BCS universe stuff. They have made their money and the vibe I get from them is they are not in it for the money.

I feel they would only do something if they felt it was artistically worthwhile as a long term series.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

That's pretty encouraging! Wonder what direction they would go with a Kim focused show, assume it would have to be post BCS.

Rhea Seehorn seems a pretty (pardon the pun) astute actor too, who’d need anything to be creatively worthwhile rather than lucrative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Is it possible to quote part of somebody's post like it used to be?? The last paragraph of what you said is what I'm addressing...

Half my reason for being on boards these days is the BCS thread. I love the discussion and insightful (sometimes inciteful!) and well meant but off the wall posts too 😀

• Advertisement

I don’t believe it is. The new boards is rubbish. A constant frustration

I think slow is the wrong word it was slowly subtle. Building up to a boom. The viewer was forced to pay attention to the minuscule details. Which could later prove to be important. Bar the cousins there were no ‘cardboard cut out’ characters. As a result the viewer was invested in the characters . And it was because the characters were given a rounded perspective

In contrast the ‘crash bang wallop’ shows, which don’t bother with much character development. The characters are disposable and they don’t have much meaning to the viewer.

I think you press the arrow button to quote - and it puts a line thing beside it.

Boards should have had more clear accessible instructions. Poor form by them - such lack of attention to detail would not happen in BCS!

Copy the text you want to quote.

Quote the full post in the usual way...paste the copied bit under it. Then highlight it and click the symbol opposite the start oif the text

Select 'Quote' marks from the drop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Caught up with this last night (and amazingly managed to avoid any spoilers).

Not sure how I feel TBH. Jimmy coming clean and accepting his punishment when he had a fantastic deal on the table seems at odds with him then later accepting/embracing that he IS Saul in prison and effectively becoming king of the place. Um.. Fair enough - it's probably the most fitting end for the character I suppose.

Likewise, Kim accepting him as who he is (and using her own scam/invalid ID to get in) after the call a few episodes back seems a bit of a stretch to get them together for a smoke. Is she now going to start looking for thrills again too? She still remains the character I was least interested in/bothered about (which was a bit of a pain when the whole show became "what becomes of Kim" in its later stages).

The flashbacks - while I won't quite call them filler and it was nice to see those actors/characters one last time, they could have just been left out altogether and nothing missed IMO.

I dunno... I still think that BB was the superior show and BCS was held together by (predominately) Mike a lot of the time and while the Hector/Mike/Gus backstories were certainly highlights, again did we really need them? Certainly a lot of the tension and drama is taken out of it by knowing how they end up.

Overall I'd say it was a good show but all too often suffered from the creators love of unnecessarily drawing out of mundane events or sequences. The OTT gushing from some fans and overanalysis was a bit much at times too - I don't even mean this thread, but the likes of YT videos breaking down these things into excruciating details and overthinking it all. Just takes away from the ability to just watch the show if that makes sense?

So, decent finale to a decent show, but not one I could see myself rewatching TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Just on the possibility of continuing on the BB universe.... Someone suggested it already, but I would definitely prefer a spin off focusing on Mike's early years and how he tangled up in corruption and became who he did rather than a series on Kim. So much possibilities with the Mike series, whereas one on Kim would get boring very quickly as there's limited enough scope for her character. Cue the backlash.... 😁

I agree. Except that Jonathan banks will just be too old. And wouldn’t be the same with another actor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think Mike's story is pretty complete and a tread of his younger years would be repetitive, but I like the idea of following a character with a different actor though. Gus would be the same as Mike, story done. I'd be interested to see something from the Mexican Cartel such as Hector when he was younger or Don Eladio. That would be a fascinating new challenge to handle given it would have to be done in foreign language.

In the main though I'm so satisfied with the ending of this series. After I'm Mcgill, James Mcgill, I don't need to see anything else. I just hope AMC have their money shows with Anne Rice's universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I really hope it's the end of the BB-verse. Lightning struck for them twice, but the more you add to that universe, the more you're also restricted by it. We have so much of all the characters pasts, presents and even futures that it just seems needless.id much rather Gilligan and Gould, together or separately, make new things, free from having to tie everything into 11 seasons of TV and a TV movie. Work with some of the same actors again in new roles.

Advertisement