Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when your feeling run down / fed up

Options
  • 18-08-2022 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭

I have been feeling really rough the last while and really starting to hate the route I take to and from work. Physically I feel **** the last while in general arms really sore especially my left arm I fell on last year and getting heart burn all the time. Was completely run down and sick all last weekend took a break from Friday and started back on the bike again Wednesday and feel like I'm starting all over again ffs.

I was fine up until recently but especially since the hot weather in last week or so I just feel drained. I really don't wanna take to long of a break cause I will find it hard getting back into it. I love cycling love the feeling of being out there by myself but I hate the route I take to work especially going home. The roads are **** holes cracks everywhere and cycle lanes are either tiny or make shift and not very safe at rush hour.

Basically I'm traveling from Bridewell Garda Station to Citywest and go passed Christchurch down through Kimmage then through Tallaght. Its fairly direct but just no enjoyment at all especially the way I am feeling lately.

How do you over come this? Like I don't want to hate cycling and especially don't want to go back to getting the Luas everyday!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there any variation you can make to the route?

can't help with the feeling run down part; if you're cycling five days a week, it might be worth taking a breather from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I've looked at Google Maps it seems to drag you into Crumlin instead and Ballymount which is just as bad if not worse ha.

To be honest a lot of it is the condition of the roads more so then the actual route. There's been a few mornings I've come in feeling physically sick because you feel like your coming off some kind of **** child's rollercoaster in Funderland! I'm starting to see why there's so many people on the roads on these tank like bikes that absorb everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

If you're feeling run down and physically sore and maybe even a little mentally run down would you not go get some bloods taken ?

Maybe it's not just the cycling that's bothering you?

I've been thinking this yeah I haven't been to the doctor in a long time anyway. Had a fall off the bike last year and did ligament damage to my left arm so I'm finding its acting up now cycling and sitting at my desk in work. I recently got my bike serviced and feel the position is a little different which could be effecting my arms as well. I'm tall like 6ft4 so I've had issues adapting to a decent position on the bike in the past thought I had it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree about the blood tests. You could be deficient in certain vitamins. I was starting to feel sluggish and run down before due to over exerting myself physically not just cycling but in the gym etc. A good rest and change in the diet helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭growleaves

Take a rest and make getting back into it a lesser priority than recovery.

I agree with the other posters' advice about seeing a doctor but I would take a pause in any case.

When you say change in diet what did that include?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

More red meat and fruit and veg. I was told I was Iron deficient after a blood test.

Cheers! Yeah I'm just feeling wrecked lately I don't over eat but don't starve myself either usually always have something decent before cycling drink plenty fluids etc etc. Sometime just feels off the last while though feel like I've been kicked around half of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Did you have covid recently, or within the last few months? Some people were unlucky and got long covid, similar sort of symptoms in terms of just constantly sapped of energy

• Advertisement

I had it in March but I don't think I had any lasting effects like these anyway. It just really hit me in the last week or so before that I was grand for the most part apart from the obvious drawbacks of cycling! ha. Ah even coming home today there's a strongish wind out and it was just killing me cycling uphill most of the way back. Just felt so frustrated that I had to keep getting off the bike and walking for a while. My upper legs are stiff now and I haven't had that in a long time sure I've done 100 or so km cycles a couple of times this year alone and didn't get it so this is pissing me off. I just feel like I can't do anything properly lately.

How are you sleeping?

From what you've said I'd be off to a GP for bloods, no harm getting a once over anyway every few years.

With the way my daughter sleeps some nights are better then others but on average its about 6 or so hours . I'm used to being up early every morning really.

Yeah but it's not 6 hours solid is it? My first was a dream but my youngest girl wasn't one for a full nights sleep but even at that I wasn't feeling as bad as you are describing. Take your self off to a GP and get checked out for piece of mind if nothing else. Also there's a great thread in the parenting forum I think it was for dad's that was a great read (assuming your a fella) that had me nodding like a donkey on different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - could it be a reaction to a vaccine? In 2019 I got the flu vaccine, as I do annually (via work - health sector) but I seemed to have had some sort of reaction to that particular strain that year. I felt unwell within minutes of getting it, Lost my cycling mojo for a couple of months. Anytime I went out for a ride, my heart wasn't in it, I had no energy, and I felt like crap. I had to give up club rides as I was 'out the back' all the time. Things gradually returned to normal but, at the time, I thought my cycling days were numbered.

I dunno don't think so got all the required vaccines of late didn't have any reactions to them that I know of. Never really taught about it as this has only really come over me recently.

Cheers ! Without getting into a very off topic conversation haha she has learning difficulties / disability so it effects alot of things with her. One morning she could be awake at 7 as normal next day she be up at 2am!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Three things, one the hot weather does do this to many people, both physically and mentally, particularly somewhere like ireland where we are not used to it. Second, maybe you do need to take a break for a week. Do you have other options like public transport? A full break for a week, maybe two. The body night need recovery. Lastly, have you considered a new bike?

Yeah I was going at a fairly high pace last week in the mid twenty's so I'm sure that didn't help but in saying that for the most part I felt I was hitting everything at a level I was really happy with. I got the Luas in again this morning so ill leave the bike for the next few days see how I feel. My bike is only just over a year old and is running well have a wedding among many other things coming up next year so my money is wrapped up all over the shop ha.

I think I need to take a look at what I'm eating during the week and when I'm cycling as well as I feel I need more fuel from somewhere my body just doesn't seem to have it atm. I know myself I probably am not eating enough half of the time but its not as if I'm sitting around starving either! I know I could plan it a lot better if I wasn't in work most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Commuting 5 days a week can easily turn the hobby of cycling into a job. Take a break away from it, if you have the option. You'll find yourself itching to hop back on the bike soon enough.

Kids are tough, I'm just glad mine are gone past the stage of waking me up at night (now they just wake me up from my couch naps, usually as violently as possible 😂)

Lastly, the answer to whether you need a new bike or not is 'always'. Remember, n+1

• Advertisement

Whatever about everything else I think I'm gonna have to find a better route coming home especially as I have grown to absolutely hate the current one ha. Yesterday was the final straw I gave up a few times and started walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Totally agree with all above, but number one see your GP , you may be a little depressed and lack of sleep will not help .

Main thing is get your health sorted, take a week or two off the bike, or just go for few short spins at weekend when you do not have to rush to work or home again, say 45-60 mins just get used to enjoying bike again. As regards new bike, why not try new jersey , shorts, gloves something cheaper. i always find it helps .

But go see the doc and go from there, any tell him ALL your problems, TALK to him .

Things will get better ,chin up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Basically I'm traveling from Bridewell Garda Station to Citywest and go passed Christchurch down through Kimmage then through Tallaght. Its fairly direct but just no enjoyment at all especially the way I am feeling lately.

have you tried varying your route much? One suggestion might be to travel along the Grand Canal to Grange Castle and then south along the R136 to the Naas Rd via the bus lane. Another might be to turn off the Greenhills Rd and travel down Katherine Tynan Rd.

The first one you mentioned I cant picture the route so ill have to look at it online never been near the Naas road on a bike wouldn't know where to start!

My current route there's a lot of long stretch's reaching lights on hills that I would love to cut out if I could. Like on a day like yesterday where you had a wind stopping you right in your tracks alone side constant red lights it was awful especially low on energy.

The route coming in isn't the worst as I'm leaving the house at 6:30am traffic isn't to bad and a lot of it is down hill. Coming home the majority of it is all up hill chasing lights there's a humpback bridge you get stuck on surrounded by cars and buses with a tiny cycle lane and there's nothing but surfaces coved in lumps bumps and cracks so by the time you finally get to Tallaght your up the wall haha. If I was doing it at half six in the morning on a day with no wind I'm sure it be much easier but I'm doing it at rush hour traffic unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I've definitely been through this in the past. Cycling 5 days can feel like a real slog. I used to take alternative transport maybe two days a week (when I was in the office full-time). Agree with the suggestion of mixing in the Luas too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Even for your trip home, head from Citywest through Kingswood and then N along the R136 dual carriageway until you pass Grange Castle. head down the gated slipway and then in towards town.

The R136 is busy but has both bus lane (which I would use) and also an adjacent cycle path. With a nice tailwind, you'll fly along this stretch. The canal twoards town will have a slight downhill gradient but it is more the wind that will challenge you (usually when heading West).

Depending on your choice, you can leave the canal at the junction of Dolphin Rd & Suir Rd or wherever.

It will obviously be a slightly longer route but honestly, it will be much more pleasurable than a slightly shorter distance with traffic.

Oh, and ignore the 1hr 2 min claim by Google!

Cheers for this! Is there anyway you could post the link to this so i could view it on google maps and have a look at it step by step so i can see the roads etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

arms really sore especially my left arm I fell on last year and getting heart burn all the time.

This is the classic symptom/warning of heart disease. Get your heart checked out ASAP. My father had the heartburn for years, not realising it was heart disease, and he died of a massive heart attack.

You can get this treated nowadays quite easily, as far as I know. Stints and all that.

Advertisement