Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

I had a problem in Spain but not on numerous UK trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just to add to the story landed in Brussels this morning and followed all the APN steps to the tee that @NewHome outlined in a previous post and toggled airplane mode, turned phone off and on again, basically spent an hour at it in the airport and roaming still wouldn't work.

Then got a bus to Paris and was going to buy a local SIM upon arrival till I saw it was working in France.

So for me now Portugal and Belgium dont work but France does. Will be ain the UK next week so will see what happens there. It's still a joke though, I felt like a network engineer playing around with all those APN settings for over an hour trying to get it to work. They know the problem exists for over a year now and have acknowledged it exists by publishing their 'fix' but it's still not fixed for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I was in Belgium and (Netherlands) last week and got it working..... eventually! Don't even remember what I did TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Hopefully 4G roaming is on the horizon if this tweet is anything to go by...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I cannot get calls here in the UK at the moment, no matter which network I choose manually. Anyone else outside Ireland having problems?

• Advertisement

yeah see my post in the other 48 thread on this forum, I couldnt get it to work in the UK at all and Belgium and Portugal before that. They are a train wreck for roaming at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

I brought an old Alcatel phone with me to Paris a few weeks ago and put my 48 sim in and I got a signal right away, didn't have to do anything with the settings. was going to transfer it to my smartphone to see if it would work in that but to be honest I was happy enough with just calls and texts on the Alcatel.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Really appreciate this guide. Got two phones sorted, while I was in Northern Ireland. Strangely, we didn't have this problem in Spain, only needed to change the APN, to get that sorted. 48 isn't great for traveling with.

I was checking all over 48.ie dog poo support site, but it didn't have any clear instructions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Glad it worked! 🙂

Thanks. I gave up last June, but as I'm back in the UK again and having bought a new phone I thought I'd give it another try. Tried following various guides but again nothing worked. However, after switching the phone off and on again, and toggling between manual network and automatic, and switching airplane mode on and off, and randomly performing each of these operations two or three times along with a prayer to Cthulhu, it eventually worked (both calls and data). I might just switch to some other provider anyway if there's one that's more reliable (I do not want to go though all this again, especially as I'm abroad a lot).

• Advertisement

Good to hear you got it working. I had tried those things of toggling airplane mode, manual/auto network and rebooting the phone along with the APN settings but still couldnt get it to work. I think it might be hand set dependent as it works for some but not for others.

48 say they are upgrading their roaming to include 4G next month so given you got it working for this trip it might be worth your while seeing does the upgrade solve all these problems once and for all before switching network. The 7.99 membership plan wont be seen again so bear that in mind before switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Got an email from 48 today. Seems they are releasing a new and improved 48 SIM.

Get our new and improved replacement SIM​

Hi,​ ​

Last summer we contacted our customers to acknowledge the issue that some customers experienced connecting to a service while roaming abroad. As part of our ongoing commitment to improve your experience, a number of enhancements have since been made.​

In September, we launched 4G EU/UK roaming for all customers, so you remained connected to data as EU operators have begun retiring their 3G service. ​

To continue to strengthen your connection, a new and improved 48 SIM has been designed and is available to order now. Once activated, your new replacement SIM will ensure you automatically connect to a local network while roaming, reducing your troubleshooting efforts going forward.​

We’d like to thank you for your loyalty and patience while these works were carried out and encourage you to order your free replacement SIM today. See the steps below on how to order!​

I'm abroad at the moment, left a bit over a week ago, and interestingly, this time I didn't have to fiddle about with the app (where you have to switch from automatic to something, or vice versa).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

Does anybody know if roaming is now working for Northern Ireland?

I was up there last year and it wasn't working.

I am heading up there (Belfast) in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

I was in Lisburn last week, couldn't get roaming to work no matter what I did. Had to resort to my 2nd SIM to get data (and use the map I needed).

On 48s suggestion, I got a replacement SIM earlier this year, that didn't work.

Advertisement