Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

In a sensible world the government would have been properly incentivising all of the rooftops to be covered in Solar which would have a zero impact on agriculture.

Assume solar has a payback time of 10 years on average. The state could install PV and inverters and batteries on people's houses and commercial premises for free. They own all the power for the first 5 years (no feed in tariff) and the state can draw from the batteries as needed but from year 6 the household/business gets the feed in tariff deducted from their energy bills

There are already solar leasing plans similar to this but being commercial makes them less attractive as the company has to make a profit while the state can do it below cost.

In the medium term. Highly distributed local generation provides so many efficiency benefits to the grid.

Then there's wind microgenerators which could significantly reduce our winter power demands if most suitable sites had an installation with the same economic model. We have lots of viable designs that are safe for wildlife and do not have much noise pollution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

Ah yes, nice to see Eamon Ryan has is priorities straight:

Goal 1: Be a recognised leader in climate action

Yep, nothing to do with stopping climate change. I've asked several times on this thread now how much warming will be prevented by Ireland's efforts. Nobody so far has been willing to give the correct answer: 0.0°C. Because it's all about being seen to do the "right thing".

I've got some bleak news for Eamon: nobody in the developing world gives a rat's ass about his recognised leadership. They probably wouldn't even recognise his home country on a map let alone know anything about his foolish policies. I'm sure, if they knew about it, they'd love a slice of his high standard of living. And that's is the number one reason why Green policies are, and will be, a total failure. The developing world is going to add 50% to global energy consumption by 2050 and no bunch of commodity-guzzling windmills is going to keep up with that.

The Greens are talking about making everyone use less energy. Tell that to the rural poor in China, India, and Africa -- three regions that contain half the world's population. How dare Eamon Ryan tell them that he wants to pull the energy ladder up behind him! Cheap abundant energy is key to raising living standards. Anything that makes energy more expensive is heading in the wrong direction and, what's more, will be utterly ignored by the millions of people who have much bigger problems to deal with than Ryan could possibly imagine from his eco-friendly Dublin 6 home.

Here's a thought for Eamon -- the amount of money he's planning to force us to spend here in Ireland between now and 2030 could buy propane for cooking in 4,000,000 homes for a frickin' THOUSAND YEARS. Yes, those dreaded hydrocarbons would save the lives of the 4 million people who die every year from having to cook indoors on wood and cow dung fires. Kinda puts things in perspective. And also reminds us yet again that policy responses have to:

• actually achieve something,
    • yield a greater benefit than the same resources expended elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Then there's wind microgenerators which could significantly reduce our winter power demands if most suitable sites had an installation with the same economic model. We have lots of viable designs that are safe for wildlife and do not have much noise pollution

Most of those wildlife friendly or low noise/visual impact turbine designs are awful in practice, piss poor efficiency and gearboxes end up costing more power than they generate in some cases.

I do agree about the state putting solar on houses (provided its backed up with batteries also), however this would only work as a public tender and not the current subsidies/grants model, as grants inevitably lead to prices rising by the amount of the grant. Happens all the time in this country, recently with solar and retrofit grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The world really has change.

I remember when the best boy in class would get a few digs back of the coal shed from the big boys. Now they just ignore him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

Is the ten years payback time for panels alone or with batteries? Doesn't a Tesla power wall still cost more than $10k? Also, with all those inverters and other electronics, plus installation, it's hard to see how paying for individual solar would make more sense than a utility-scale farm? However, my impression is the battery cost would be prohibitive for either individuals or at utility scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

what % of global emissions are from Ireland?

does anyone know?

you need to ID the problem before trying to fix it.

so, what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ireland's population is .06% of global population but Ireland's contribution to global C02 emissions is greater than .1%

We're producing double the C02 than the average and at 8t per capita we're amongst the worst in the world for ghg emissions

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

If I was rich I wouldn't have to do the daily slog every week. So I could have a roof over my head and feed myself.

Yes theres extreme poverty in the world but to say average joe is rich by living here is extreme exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Its still .1 of a percent , totally irrelevant so why destroy our economy to achieve a green wet dream

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

compared to most of the world people like you are filthy rich yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Thats living standards not wealth.

Pretty sure if i was wealthy and lived in theses places. My living standards would be limited also compared to being wealthy living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The EU has targets and we are part of the EU, that's 500 million people. Do you think the EU should also do nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My heating came on this morning for a short while. The weather app says it's likely to rain for the next week solid, so I suspect this won't be the only time this coming week.

Parisennes were wading through knee deep flooded streets and many more areas of France had flood warnings. I guess that whole Europe turning into a desert after burning to the ground thing will have to wait for some other year. Warnings from Australia they might be due a rather wet summer, after one of the wettest years on record. I guess the predictions of climate change induced drought, increasing heat and fires will have to wait for some other year.

Ah yes, the problem with Irelands ever rising methane emissions, necessitating a huge culling of the cattle herd because emissions are the same as they were in 1990. Hang on a minute, that doesn't sound very convincing. Perhaps we should all help Eamon out with a competition to come up with some BS he can use to try and justify his nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭ginger22

Perhaps we should go back to living in caves. Would that keep you happy.

To add a bit of context.

Data from 2019 and I doubt the trend has changed. Blue line Ireland 7.2 Tons. Green line China 7.6 Tons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We produce enough food to feed how many people? If we stop doing that our emissions will drop but somebody else's will rise to replace the short fall in food.

• Advertisement

Irish greens are very quick to point towards the E.U. when it suits.

Not so quick when it comes to E.U. policy on energy security, food security, LNG or even exploration.

A government Minister involved in the horse breeding sector to examine ways to help the horse breeding sector. No conflict of interest there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Don't horses need a totally different level of care, stables, not normally kept out 24/7 except in the summer, regular exercise if they are stabled? How many of your average dairy farmer would be setup for this? What happens to the 2 horses then, do we all become show jumper or do we eat them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It’s all relevant.

Just because people earn decent money in Ireland doesn’t mean they are rich!

Most people are up to their neck in mortgage debt just to keep a roof over their heads.

Then add on car loans to get to work to pay the mortgage.

Most people aren’t rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

‘Junior agriculture minister Pippa Hackett said she wants to examine ways to support the horse breeding sector and potentially incentivising livestock farmers to rear horses which produce far less methane than cows or sheep.’

Looking after number one! 🙄

The rest of the EU are not implementing our crazy policies... germany are back burning coal because needs must. 75 percent of Poland's energy comes from coal which they are actually going to import from Colombia because it's too expensive to extract their own so I would love someone to explain how they are meeting the EU targets. I would imagine it's creative accountancy where they are offsetting it all by buying carbon credits off some African dictator. A load of bullshit

Mad country when a failed politician, she got 5 percent of the vote in the last election ends up a government minister. Jobs for the greens ! So much for democracy

We are as bad as Switzerland and Denmark, currently, and have only output about two thirds of what Denmark has in total since 1750. Any other straw men you want me to burn?

Only if you heat your cave with a heat pump powered by solar panels attached to the cliff face. You can forget it if you intend to use fire to cook your food and for warmth.

• Advertisement

Fair going for someone who was on 17,060 gross per annum from a county council seat getting gifted a Seanad seat worth 70,870 and in less than a wet week gets appointed to a Junior Minister post worth 141,657 while gifting her husband the 17.060 council seat .All above come with extra add on little goodies as well.

For a party that was so critical of nepotism in politics it didn`t take long for that tune to change.

Advertisement