Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister 'misinterpreted the requirements' after failure to declare second house in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The big scoop by The Ditch is yet to come. I think it might come out on Friday forcing the Sunday papers to have change their front pages as they scramble to get over this.

Friday and Sunday will be interesting days this. FFG will be glad the Dail is on recess till next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

When is the Dail back? A few questions could expose this absolute chancer. 100%

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

They've just posted an article on how he also failed to declare a directorship of a property company in his Dáil register of members interests! Christ they are playing chess while he and the government are playing with playdo 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I think a lot of them are clueless about SM/Internet and being able to dig up stuff now if you have a mind to spend time online and find out. Yes some of the younger ones are savvy enough on SM but then you had clowns like EK in Europe saying stuff as if Us back in Ireland would not find out. Then acting all surprised. A lot of them seem to forget even the most mundane business now has an online presence Usually an about us from there easy enough to find out whos who.

• Advertisement

If SM/Internet did not exist politicians in Ireland would be getting away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What a scoop by the ditch. Barry Cowan and Dara Calleary were sacked for a lot less than this - I hope the opposition can really put pressure on this story. Shocking from Leo to play it down as well

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's him thinking he would get away with it that makes him more stupid than actually doing it.

A trawl of every house purchased by Meath County Council over the last 5 years would be the next step in fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The NPPR tax could be another thing to look into - administered and collected by local authorities and any outstanding charges must be paid before selling a house. It's entirely possible that Troy was tax compliant but there is potential for cute hoorism there too given the ineptitude of Councils and the criteria that they use to ascertain NPPR liability. "Local knowledge" is used by some - LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Politicians do this all the time and chance their arms on expenses and other payments and they have to pay them back. For all the gnashing of teeth this is now a SIPO matter. They did say yesterday that this doesn't come under interests that need to be declared and they may or may not investigate the Paul Murphy complaint. The CC angle is very odd in all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Does this make it OK 🤔, Politicians chancing their arms , should it not be exposed , reported on. I'm actually surprised only one TD has made a complaint. As for what SIPO has said on ONE aspect of this story, it's preposterous IMHO.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

One TD has made a complaint because they all know someone who's at it and it would open a can of worms.

Murphy has done it before about the same person. Nobody says it is OK, but that is the purpose of SIPO - to be a watchdog on public officials and expose it. It's a cat and mouse thing and they are rarely criminal activities but they do test the limits of public standards and what public officials believe they are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes it's worth exploring but they can't tread on other toes. I don't think we can let them get into legal stuff but definitely widen the definition of interests.

Philip Ryan of the Indo being questioned on the Troy debacle on claire Byrne now

Troy not available for interview all week and has released new statement

I asked do you agree that SIPO's toothlessness is as a direct result of successive governments ignoring their requests for more powers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Fianna Fáil minister failed to declare directorship of property company

Troy is at it again - this the man with responsibility for business regulation

• Advertisement

The CC angle is the big one - how did Troy manage to buy a house (from a councillor) and flip it to the council for twice what he paid in only 3 months.

That absolutely stinks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Aren't they suppose to be Tax compliant and have a Tax compliant certificate before taking up the position of a TD. Wasn't there something about this a few years ago when it came out a TD didn't have a tax compliant certificate. I remember when I was renting out an apartment to people who were on HAP and the amount of paperwork I had to produce to allow them rent the apartment with HAP including being tax compliant.

I don't know what hoops they have to jump through. But it is abundantly clear from this that an excuse for not being in compliance with regulations is acceptable ...so far. Certainly is to the Tainaiste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

I'd start by asking Troy a couple of questions:

• Why did he assume he didn't have to declare property interests on the register if he had sold them by the end of the calendar year?
    • Did he seek advice from anyone on this assumption? If not, why not? As there is a worsening housing crisis in the country, and cabinet ministers must be seen to be completely above board, in all areas of property ownership and transparency.

The whole thing completely stinks, it's clear as day that he played the system like a fiddle out of pure greed, and used his political connections to wheel and deal in property. Also why did he insist his tenant paid in cash? Dodgy as f*ck.

I'd complain to my local FF TD but what is the fcuking point at this stage, no one under 45 is voting for this shower of s*it at the next election so I just hope that election comes around ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Both FF and FG are in for a nasty shock the next election. People have grown tired of the corruption and dirty tricks. They think they are in power to line their own pockets not represent the people who voted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Not a whisper on RTE.ie do they not have a lot of very expensive journalists to examine this kind of carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

People that I've known as staunch FF/FG supporters are now criticising them and that can only be a good thing. Sadly I think out of sheer spite both parties will leave an awful mess for SF to clean up.

In fairness, Claire Byrne show covered it this morning. I'd expect more on News At One.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So no other house has come near that asking price in the 4 years since.

There is greed and then there is greed.

• Advertisement

More than greed - corruption.

Council were not desperate to buy these houses, so big questions over why they paid what they did for a house which was:

"in bad shape and it needed an awful lot of repairs and renovations." - according to the man who sold Troy the house, only 3 months prior. Yet it sold for higher than any of the other houses in the same estate?

Advertisement