Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maureens_fry

This revisionism that has developed with regards Shane Walsh is laughable. Posters on here saying other's, particularily Mayo supporters, might finally give hime credit when the biggest critisism he ever got was from his own supporters. Just go back through the thread and read it yourselves. The lad is 29 and has been playing inter county for 10 years, it's about bloody time he performed given the undoubted talent he has. Mayo supporters never critised him because he never did anything against them to warrant it. He's free to transfer wherever he wants but please don't come on here and spout rubbish about travel when there's lads travelling from Kenmare, Belmullet, Letterkenny to Dublin and still playing with their club. It's a financial move, simple as that. Can you imaine the howls of outrage from some on this thread Cillian O'Connor transferred to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

A lad with 1 post says "go back and read through years of this thread". Which current poster are you that felt the need to set up this new account to spout this manure?

He's performed excellently for the better part of his 9 years, it's not his fault his team wasn't good enough to compete at the latter stages. On Galway's only other deep run in the championship (2018) he got man of the match in the Connacht final and a super 8's game versus Kerry. Revisionist indeed. That's more inter county motm awards in Croke Park than Ciaran McDonald ever achieved incidentally, seeing as you seem to be making this into a Mayo thing

Ironic that your username comes from a skit made by a former Galway hurler. Seeing as how you set up the account to have a pop at Galway people

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Theres actually a perfect test case for your Cillian o Connor example. When Donal Vaughan did something 5 times worse than Walsh, and left his home club the moment they were relegated to go to a rival club 20 minutes up the road, was there howls of outrage on this thread? You seem to have been reading this thread for ages so you tell me? I doubt there was any bit of discussion at all personally, but you'd know better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Chris Barrett actually played his club football with Clontarf for his final year with Mayo. I don't remember any outrage at all. Disappointment yes, but everyone agreed that it was completely understandable. His living circumstances are different to Walsh though I suppose with a young family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

There's about 3 people in this thread who could give two fcuks what Mayo players are up to. The rest couldn't give a damn. Galway players on the other hand generate more interest in Mayo supporters than they do in their own.

People are entitled to play wherever they feel suits them. This antiquated idea that because you come from an area you're forced to play there doesn't stack up anymore. Our own club has let plenty leave over the years. If they don't think it's right for them they're not going to be right for you either. No point twisting people's arm or ending their career because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 maureens_fry

There's no howls of outrage over Walsh transferring anywhere apart from in Killererin from what I can see. There are times when a transfer is necessary but this is not one of them, it's a financially motivated move. Using the travel excuse is an insult to the lads travelling the lenght of the country to attend training, Dublin to Galway is 2 hours on a motorway. If I recall Vaughan got slated within Mayo and beyond for the move to Castlebar and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

Were Killererin hoping he'd transfer to them instead or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Well I hope all students take advantage of this loophole and transfer to city teams from their local clubs.

Go fill your bag with the rich city clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 laymansterms

I'd have no issue with him moving to KC to be honest but I don't buy the college excuse and I thought that he was living in Roscam, not Dublin. I am also certain that he will continue to play for Galway and playing senior in Dublin can only improve him.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 laymansterms

It was an excellent start to the Hurling Championship last weekend. The Thomas' v Sars game in particular was great. Darren Murphy had an excellent game for Sars. If this match is anything to go by, it will be an excellent summer of championship hurling in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

They have plenty free kickers in Dublin, Cillians skills outside that are very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Under GAA rules this is not permitted. (Surprised someone so opinionated on GAA matters would not be aware of this) Shane Walsh may also get turned down for the same reason. He seems to have put a case forward that he has relocated to Dublin in a full time capacity not just for college.

You also seem to have a poor understanding of the travelling for club vs county scenario. Not sure you're worth much further engagement.

Not sure what the difference is between relocating somewhere for work or college? College is not full time?

It's in the rules. Take it up with your club committee who can put forward a motion to Congress if you have an issue with it. Rule 6.3:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Shane will have to get a job in the local chipper so......

Shane being Shane I'm sure like his previous employment he can click his fingers get Michael D evicted and have residency I'm the Aras I'm the morning if he so wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

What Shane Walsh does when he isn’t playing gaa is entirely his own business … people on here demanding to know this and that about him need to get a life . He’s not a public figure as stated on here he’s an amateur gaa player … show him some respect and let him live his own life .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Of course he's a public figure, he's one of the best footballers in the country. Amateur or not, he's a high profile player in one of our national games so I have no idea how you came up with the above. Granted, I don't think his past work history needs to be brought into this discussion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

I know that …. But what I meant was he’s not a public figure that should be open to abuse the way a TD or somebody who’s highly paid role is . I’m not saying that’s right either BTW.He’s an amateur at the end of the day . People need to remember that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Is there Relegation in the Galway Senior Hurling Championship this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Victor Drazen

No relegation from Senior A. There will be relegation from Senior B to Intermediate, and promotion from Intermediate to Senior B as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The Shane Walsh transfer thing is nothing new. Its been a common enough.situation over many years. Anybody remember the 2 Kildare men that transfered to Cork and won 2 All Irelands. Larry Tompkins and Shea Fahy. That was a big deal in the grand scheme of things. For years guys playing junior in Cork would transfer into big city clubs in hurling..Blackrock or St Finbarrs ect.

The only thing that makes it a big deal.is the reaction of his club. That what I dont like. The public nature of 'fighting' to hold onto him. Like come on..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CaboRoig

Strangely for me, while I'm disappointed that Shane Walsh doesn't think he can continue to play for his club, the part that really annoys me is where he's saying he'll return to finish his club career with Kil/Clon.

So, he'll play a few years with Crokes and come back to Kil/Clon in his early/mid thirties when he'll be obviously no longer at the peak of his powers. I actually think that's kinda condescending for want of a better word.

Anyway, as someone as posted, it appears given the information out there that the transfer doesn't meet the guidelines in the rulebook and shouldn't be given. We'll see.

You couldn't believe a word out of his mouth at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

@CaboRoig Why would that annoy you, Shane has already given more than 10 years to the club, he's 29... few more years left at the top level and when his county career is over I suppose his thinking is he'll return to his home club, he's given plenty service to killkerrin/clonberne and owes nothing, in fact the opposite right now theres some young lad kickin a ball against a wall for 5 or 6 hours a day who's been inspired by the likes of shane, he deserves the chance to play club football at the highest level for a couple of years and I won't begrudge him, he owes us nothing 🏐🏐

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CaboRoig

I've no doubt he owes Kil/Clon nothing. None whatsoever. I know a couple of their clubmen well. I'm sure he's been a brilliant player for them for the past 12 or 13 years.

I just don't like this idea of him leaving them but saying "I'll be back lads when I have a few more miles on the clock".

As for "he deserves the chance to play club football at the highest level for a couple of years", there's many a footballer and hurler with All-Ireland senior medals who never played a senior club game in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

And the idea that he mysteriously opts for Kilmacud Crokes who have dominated at minor and 21 in Dublin in recent years, and should have won the All Ireland club final last year, even playing without their star forward Paul Mannion, is also annoying. Of all the clubs in Dublin that need strengthening, KC doesn't rank high on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Well said. The only reason someone would get annoyed over something that is absolutely none of their business is begrudgery. Doesn't like to see someone try to better themselves. As I understand it, Kill/clon are an intermediate side. Never going to win the big titles if he stays. He's after having a good year with Galway, has put his name firmly out there with the All-Ireland final display. Of course, he is looking to strike something, whilst the iron is hot. It could be a great opportunity for him if he plays with Kilmacud. He will be playing at a higher level, which will improve him even more. More discipline etc. Playing against better players. And being in the Dublin league, he will get a little more publicity. He knows he has maybe 4 more optimal years left at the high level. Why shouldn't he make the best of it. If in 4/5 years time, he returns to Kill/Clon, and if he has raised his profile even more, I would imagine, they would welcome him back with open arms. I'm sure he'd give another 3/4 years playing at decent intermediate level. Imagine the lads on that team playing away year in year out, not playing at a very high level, and then Shane Walsh joins the ranks. It would bring some excitement for them.

Of course, anything could happen in the meantime - could settle down and marry a Jackeen, stay in Dublin etc.

• Advertisement

Maybe taking words out of context. Living in Dublin. Plays for Dublin team. College over (he's starting year two of a minimum three year course) might return home so returns to K/C. I dont think there is much wrong with that.

As for the Dublin club he picked. I would be surprised if any top level athlete with no ties to Dublin with the pick of any club he wants would pick anything other than the one that presented the best chance of success.

Advertisement