Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you don't need local Modbus access, I think @silver_sky has a spare S3-WIFI-ST.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

As Jonathan said, I have an S3 stick but if you need a Solarman one - this is where I got mine.

https://www.ecostore.ie/p/solis-data-logging-stick---wifi/sol-dls-w

Personally I found the Solarman one to have less issues. It stays connected and seems to have a better WiFi signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Two things I've noticed with my system over the last while that I'm hoping I can get advise on. 

My battery constantly discharges when at at 100%, and isn't required by the house.

My Eddi uses the battery to heat up the water. This only happens when there's not enough solar to cover a load,and the Eddi kick starts when it sees power coming from the battery.

Eg, the dishwasher goes on at 10am, but there's not enough solar to cover it, so it uses the rest from the battery. That's fair enough. But then the Eddi kicks in. It must assume the battery power is excess solar?

I've had both of these issues. Contact Solis about the discharging issue - email and then call or log a ticket and call.

They did a remote upgrade on mine which has helped the issue but it's not entirely fixed.

Ticket site - https://solis-service.solisinverters.com/support/home

Phone: +44 151 453 6515 (service)

Emails: euservice@solisinverters.com (this will also log a ticket)

For the Eddi issue you need to set an export margin. I've set mine as 150W. What this will do is that the Eddi will ensure that a min amount is left exporting while it's diverting. Also set a response delay of 30 seconds.

https://support.myenergi.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4716922623633-Hybrid-PV-and-Battery-How-to-stop-your-myenergi-devices-draining-the-battery-in-ECO-

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Thank you, much appreciated.

I'll try both these recommendations..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So I was going to set export limit on one of my inverters now I’m on a two 6kWp setup, not an issue when I’ve an EV plugged in but even this late in the year I was over 10 kW at times.

But what’s the point, surely the more I export the better for the grid, or should I do it for some reason unbeknownst to me?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You should do it to be kind to ESB. Basically to every estate they (ESB) run three phases. Usually they round robin all the phases to the houses, so the 1st house gets phase 1, 2nd house gets phase 2, etc. The problem is that they need to "balance the phases" if there is significant reverse current flowing.

That can prove tricky if they are expecting 6Kw, and there are a number of people on one phase breaking that.

In reality - it's probably fine. it's only if there is a massive unbalance that it's typically an issue and 1x house in isolation is unlikely to cause an issue, but you don't want to be a bit of a prick either, right? :-)

Understand…it’s more a case I don’t mind exporting above 6, I’ve to go into attic for bit of cleanup to tomorrow so will limit it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Are you urban or rural? Sounds like you're urban if your local traffo isn't giving voltage issues when exporting 10kW. What was the grid voltage according to the inverter?

Are you on a 12kVA or 16kVA connection? NC7 form says that maximum single phase export is 17kVA and that MEC cannot exceed MIC. I presume that if you wanted to export at the full single phase mini-gen limit of 17kVA, you'd need to be on a 23kVA supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

The limit on the amount of panels you can stick on a roof was to have been scrapped this summer (end of July possibly) has anyone heard anything on this recently?

• Advertisement

After the recent spell of good weather and lots of grid export, I was wondering how my D/N deemed export figure was holding up against my actual export.

Annual deemed export figure 1,487kWh

Pro-rata annual deemed export figure 924kWh (based on 227/365, ignores the reality of summer vs winter)

Actual export year to date figure 863kWh

I'd be surprised if the actual export figure exceeded 1MWh at end of year, so I guess that means an extra 0.5MWh CEG payment for me. 🤔

I'd be more than happy to get paid an exact CEG figure if they could transfer the D/N tariff to the smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Hey Folks,

I want to ask how much 'give'/movement you find in your MC4 connection, particularly the female connectors? This is after i loosen the plastic wire fastener, not the plastic parts that click together. I mean the actual wire that has the metal component attached.

I've been struggling with panels recently, and i found a common quality that the MC4 female connectors have about a 3-5mm give when i pull on the wire. is this normal? expected?

I've no experience so I'm shooting in the dark about whats normal or not?

Thanks

Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

There should be ZERO play in any connections anywhere

Hi all, so I've two Solis 6kW inverters up and going and was pumping 9kW into the grid at times yesterday as noone at home.

I set one of the inverters to export limit but it just dropped straight away to 20w output, I followed some Solis checks and it looks like the CT clamp may not be setup correctly but I cannot tell exactly as it is in black trunking which splits out to a few "places" in the myriad of isolators/switches etc.

I will be upgrading the SWA cable and can have a proper look at CT clamp setup then, but in the meantime is anyone aware of a guide to "link" the inverters or is there any point in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Midlakelands

I thought that officially you had to use the solis epm if you wanted this to work seamlessly however the only place I saw this was in this video https://youtu.be/oA5Rz2A4SDQ . I hope you can get it working as I'd eventually love to install a second inverter like this.

Cheers, I'll check that out later, I did use the EPM menu on the inverter but as post#3226 no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Are you using the Solarman one with Solis 5G? I’m getting a Can_Comm fail daily some times more. I’ve a mesh so good coverage over the whole house. Mailed solis with no answer but that’s a different story

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Can comm fail is battery communication issue not a wifi issue

Yes, I am and no issues aside from the need for a WiFi repeater nearby. As mentioned, can_comm is a battery issue or possibly cable between the Solis and the battery. In terms of contacting Solis, emailing or logging a ticket (both are the same) and then following up by phone is the best I've found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This discussion might be better suited to this thread outside of the quotes thread, ive a west facing end of terrace house, im looking at putting panels on every aspect at the moment and currently the best quote I have has 15/16 total 340 JA panels with 7/8 on the west facing, 5 on the east facing due to a velux and then 3/4 on the south facing due to another velux and a chimney. My original thought was I could add optomisers to the east and south as 1 string but the last fitter I talked to said that optomisers will drop about 16% off the max generating capacity on each panel they are added to. Now I cant find any evidence online to support this so wondering if its true? If it is I was thinking that I would simply add micro inverters to the 3 or 4 on the south facing roof? But i'm also finding conflicting info on the cost and viability of this too. All help and advice appreciated.

Never heard that about optimisers before, the are essentially fancy pass through devices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Guys,

I've my LifePo batteries in now so I'll be moving on 2.4kw pylontech. About 2 years old only used exclusively with solar, no nightsaver loading or anything like that.

Any idea what the value of this would be?

Thanks,

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

About 1k - supply and demand !!!

Nice to add 10kW and get 2/3 of the cost back for quadruple the capacity !!!

Sorry, following up again on this. What model Solis Hybrids do you have and what version are they running?

I'm expecting pushback from Solis so want some additional info when I follow back up with them. I'm not accepting this 95-100% and drain as it just doesn't make sense. It's a pain also with the myenergi stuff as it knocks them off once the battery gets below 95%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Solis 5kWp Model F3 version 3A0029. I get frequent no battery alarms when it hits 100% charge but resets within a minute so haven't followed up on it yet but will when installer is back down in a few weeks. The batteries stay at 99-100% as long as the base load is met by solar and never drop below that.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Identical model and identical firmware here. Battery stays at 99-100% SOC until load exceeds generation. I've never received any no-battery alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Hi. New system installed. In trouble already. Solis inverter. Was setting up a night timer to top up the battery. Seems to have worked.

However anything coming from the panels is now going to the grid.

Help anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Battery is not currently full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

Check the inverter settings, and ensure it’s on “Self Use”

It sounds like it’s on “Feed In Priority” mode.

perhaps you changed by accident when doing night charging? (the settings are in the same general area)

Advertisement