Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Reminds me of Klingons in Star Trek saying things like 'Qapla'. My brain is thinking shouldn't I hear the translation?

A film about an interstellar alien, who uses advanced tech to give himself an advantage over the humans he is hunting, and the accent is what throws you out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Facetious argument, why would I find it immersion shattering if the predator does a tik-tok victory dance after every kill? It's a film about an interstellar alien who uses advanced tech to give himself an advantage over the humans he's hunting!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't overstate the accent thing, and can only speak for myself obviously... but when great pains were made to bring a sense of authenticity to the Comanche aspects? It jarred a little the cast then spoke in English, with fairly modern sounding dialogue. Wasn't expecting The VVitch, or Apocalypto levels of period accuracy.

It's funny 'cos I had no such reactions while watching The Northman, a film full of non-Scandinavians pulling hammy cod accents, and had its own share of heightened, fantastical imagery and creatures (albeit hallucinated. Maybe.). A film whose historical accuracy was otherwise pretty strong. Whereas when watching Prey, my brain intermittently went blip. Couldn't rationalise the difference, not right this second.

Maybe it's a scenario where there's no direct translation, so what we hear was the Universal Translator breaking down and just letting the Klingon word come through.

Oh yeah we're talking Star Trek, baby. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the film had a sense of projecting present society back into the past, like a bunch of drama students made a movie. there was no real sense of going for something authentic

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,689 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It’s interesting, I guess it’s a person by person thing… the accent didn’t bother me at all, didn’t even occur to me as an issue till I read a handful of complaints here.

The fake Italian accents in House of Gucci meanwhile gave me a lot more trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, the accents are fine. Obviously American, but pretty non-descript beyond that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I know I might be in a minority here.....

I thought the first Predator film was great, followed by Predators , then Prey.

First one, obviously something never seen and a film where the main good guy does actually get 7 bells knocked out of him and has to go back to low tech grass roots stuff to actually beat it. The part where is realises it can see in heat vision ( mind you mud shouldn't block that much heat) and understands his weapons wont work is priceless.

I thought Predators was great! Good acting from all involved, Adrian Brody was very good, as was Walton Goggins. I liked how they included a near perfect set piece of the special forces guy using a very similar skillset of low tech traps , but this time it didnt work. It was the only time I can remember in the films that something we are told about the Predators , they learn! It was the only time this was actually shown really . The move to a hunting ground also gave a fresh new feel

Prey was good. Setting was good but a lot of inconstancy. The predator obviously was very different to what we have seen, the weapons etc. I would like to point out as many had said over the internet it was a less techy Predator. They are SUPPOSED to only use weapons that are similar to the groups they hunt. The Commanche nation didn't have machine guns, they had arrows, so the predator used an arrow gun, not his plasma caster. He needed a shield for bladed weapons. I thought the lead of Naru was great, as other have said she used her small size and not obvious threat to her advantage as she did in fact put others in her way to lure the predator around into ideal situations.

Overall that would be the list as I see it, I do love Predator 2 mind you as a great action film, even AVP has some great fun to it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Saw this tonight, I enjoyed it and it held my attention but the last 10 minutes definitely knocked a few points off the score.

Lads can fan-**** all they want, but the minute that fight went to close quarters then the girl dies and everybody knows it. She is a slim young girl, it can bench press a grizzly bear, physics matters folks so the minute it gets its hands on her she is dead seconds later. One punch and she is in pieces. Grab hold of her and crush her throat. Pick her up by the leg and smash her off a tree. Not even Arnie was physically able to fight a Predator but this girl can go toe to toe and survive? Nah.

What annoyed me was that throughout the movie the predator had been relatively quick with all the kills, there was very little showboating going on, it basically just executed everybody it caught. But now when it has the 8 stone girl in its grasp it decides to play with its food?

The worst part is that it was so unnecessary, all the pieces were there to do it differently. She has the magic flowers that cool her down so set the traps and take it down that way, no close combat needed. Or something I think would have been cool would be to have the scene where she shot it in the back of the head actually be the climax and have the shot kill it. She used her brains, used the invisibility gimmick, it was a cool image, it would have worked just fine and would have avoided the pandering nonsense that followed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm going pretty easy on this because I thought it was OK. I did root for the lead and found it fairly watchable. On the weaker side, it doesn't bring anything new to table as far as the Predator story goes. The beast itself does eviscerate things and human flesh and it still one ugly you know what. Throughout, you know what's going to happen and so, this will barely raise your pulse at all. It can't hold a candle to original's zingers, atmosphere and grit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,632 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A new Predator movie on the way..

New ‘Predator’ Movie in the Works with Dan Trachtenberg Directing

The filmmaker is back on the hunt after reinvigorating 20th Century Studios' sci-fi franchise with 2022's hit 'Prey.'

Filmmaker Dan Trachtenberg and 20th Century Studios are going hunting again.

Trachtenberg, who earned an Emmy nomination for his 2022 Predator movie Prey, is returning to the sci-fi action horror franchise to make a new installment.

Titled Badlands, the new Predator feature is not a sequel to Prey, which was set in 1719 and centered on a young Comanche woman forced to fight for survival against the intergalactic hunters, but rather a brand new story. Plot details are being kept secret but this one is said to be set sometime in the future. Like Prey, however, it too will feature a female lead.........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hope they stick with the historical setting; Prey wasn't perfect but was such a steady, well crafted mid budget blockbuster. Would be nice if it got a cinema release this time too.

Would have preferred another historical jaunt myself, but it seems the new one is to be set sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Like Prey, however, it too will feature a female lead.

Again ?

Cant beat the original, its such a suspenseful piece of work and brilliantly directed.

That's a shame but also, kinda odd cos you'd think if cost was ever an issue custom future sets are more expensive than using any number of available period sets that exist.

Give me medieval knights versus Predator you cowards. And while you're at it Hollywood, please pick up my Battle of the Bulge Terminator prequel idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Thought it worked beautifully in the latest, only rewatched it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,689 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’m hoping that by ‘future’ they mean in relation to Prey… like further in the future than a direct sequel would be, but still our past.

Predator (6) Badlands

‘Badlands’: Elle Fanning Eyed To Star In New Standalone ‘Predator’ Pic From 20th Century And Dan Trachtenberg

After announcing that the studio would be expanding on its Predator universe earlier this year, 20th Century and Dan Trachtenberg’s next standalone pic Badlands looks to be gaining momentum with some serious star power. Sources close to Deadline say that Elle Fanning is in negotiations to star in the film with Trachtenberg directing. Trachtenberg co-wrote script with Patrick Aison.

20th Century had no comment.

Plot details are being kept under wraps, other than it will feature everyone’s favorite extraterrestrial big game hunter. It is also not known about release plans as the last film exclusively streamed on Hulu (breaking numerous viewerships records for the streamer) but given that 20th Century has been very much back in the theatrical game with films like Boogeyman and the upcoming Alien: Romulus film bowing in theaters, a theatrical premiere isn’t out of the question……….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

my gripe was the native Americans themselves,

Seemed like native American tribe equivalent of bunch of transition year students from Black Rock college not gritty enough for me at all,

Raised an eyebrow at the Deadline article pitching Elle Fanning as an "established star": is she? She's definitely more a "name" than Amber Midthunder was, but not to the extent I'd have said it might turn heads or help a potential theatrical run.

Would worry Fanning's gonna push the budget up; and this might fall for the classic sequel mistake or upping the budget and making success to high. Especially if it's gonna get a run in cinemas.

I would say someone who has constantly worked in Hollywood since they were in nappies is and "established star" Who has been getting lead roles the last few years in TV and film as well being a producer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why does no-one ever say this about films with male leads? 🤔

No not discounting Fanning's career, just the language read like she was someone who could open a film; not a complaint, just felt like a curious oversell of her status.

Why do you think? cos something something woke, all the usual tedious bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

One thing i liked about the Romulus trailer was no big named actors in it - that's a good sign IMO.

Advertisement