Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Again you can't compare Australia with anywhere else and they kept people away from each other and the country securely locked down for two years. Europe and other places had massive exposure to all variants of COVID in comparison and built up a level of immunity. We do get bad flu' seasons but it merits little more than a brief commentary and the HSE take care of it.

The trouble here is that you seem to be pointing a finger at the Ukrainians as the risk when it's anyone who could be at risk of severe flu', particularly the old and frail. There are not too many of those in the refugees.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You do realise Ukraine is already "hosting" upwards of 8 million refugees? There are more displaced in the country than outside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

So Ukraine is mostly "untouched" now (for purposes of discrediting refugees in the EU + stirring up anger perhaps), yet also (on other threads, where different arguments are called for) situation is hopeless, Russia's already taken over about 1/5 of the country, will likely get the rest or just destroy it unless Ukrainian govt. goes to Putin now, sues for peace and surrenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ukraine is hosting them yes, using their money.

What I'm saying is, instead of Irish government spending billions on Ukrainian refugees, spend those billions in Ukraine instead on accommodation. The billions will go infinitely further there too.

Go check online hotel sites and you have huge availability. This hotel in Lviv costs 15 euro per night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"Mostly untouched" Ukraine is pretty much just western Ukraine. Scroll back a couple of pages and you'll see a list of recent attacks on "safe" central Ukraine, including shelling right beside a nuclear power station. What was the exclusion zone imposed around Chernobyl, again, when it had its disaster? 2,600km2?

• Advertisement

I don't think you realise how big Ukraine is.

Irelands area is 70,000 square kilometres.

Ukraines area is 670,000 square kilometres.

Exclusion zone of 2,600 km2 is supposed to be big? It's 0.43% of the total area of Ukraine. It would be like an exclusion zone in Ireland being less than half the size of Louth.

I think people have this idea in their heads that Ukraine being attacked would be like Athlone getting attacked and everyone else is a stones throw away. The centre of Ukraine from the western border is twice the distance from the northern most tip of Ireland to the most southern tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think people have this idea in their heads that Ukraine being attacked would be like Athlone getting attacked and everyone else is a stones throw away

That would be great if Russia were throwing stones, but they aren't they are firing cruise missiles, range is not a problem.

They are also firing from Belarus, again missiles not stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Whatever, they have occupied the student accommodation and aint leaving it thereby leaving many students effectively homeless.

This is not a solution this is a nightmare.

I dont blame them, I blame the feckless government for allowing it to happen along with greedy business people and dumb and uncaring uni admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

""Although Ukrainians will still be able to travel to Ireland without a visa, people who have been granted refugee status in 20 other “safe” European countries will now need a visa before they can travel here.

Justice Minister Helen McEntee said there was “evidence that there may be abuse” of the system, adding that the visa exemption “is being exploited” by those who have already sought international protection from other countries""

So we are blocking otherr refugees from doing what large amounts of Ukranian refugees are doing?

That is so logical.

My ma was in a shop recently, in the middle of nowhere basically and came outside to see a fella looking at the back window of her car where she has a Ukraine sticker. The man said he came from Ukraine yesterday, went on about his family still back there, Putin, 2014 etc.

Then when she asked was he staying around there he said no he was going to the Netherlands in a couple of days to live with his wife. Didn't make sense at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yes, you that is exactly what you can do. As a general rule, we get the same flu season here as the one the Australians have just had. So it is very likely that we will have a bad flu season. Why do you think so many media outlets are reporting about it and warning Europe (and USA)?

Yes, I agree, if there were less people sick last year and exposed to the virus then it is possible that is the reason for their high flu season this year, with other factors to take into consideration. But it is also worth noting that it doesn't seem to be a single strain causing the problems over there. They have been calling it a 'twindemic' among other things. So it is unlikely that most would have been exposed to all of the strains running amok over there.

I am not pointing the finger at Ukrainians as the risk, I am pointing out if the flu season hits us as hard as expected, our hospitals are going to be under severe strain, even more so with an expected extra 100,000 in the country, of which a large amount will be living in close proximity of each other. It will be a sh*tstorm, and they will probably have flu flights over to Benidorm, is close to what I said, I'm not going back to look it up. I didn't actually believe they could have flu flights at the time I posted it, but now I am beginning to.

Just to be clear for the umpteenth time, I lay 100% of this, on the morons in charge. From the EU who don't seem to be aware of what they are expecting of us, and very much our incompetent, weak government who can't seem to get anything right and seem more interested in doing deals to get their buddies contracts etc. rather than actually tackling or even seeing, any issues. They seem to have a serious problem with maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

Something is wrong when a full-time worker has to reduce meals to once a day all week just to afford going out for a decent gig the weekend. Yet, any old Ukrainian can arrive (fleeing war or not) and be housed, fed, educated and basically have their livelihood and safety guaranteed for the foreseeable future.

If I was given that option, I would take it 100000% percent and I'd keep taking and taking and taking and taking until I was turfed out so I do not blame the Ukrainian's for doing it but we're all massive saps for standing aside and letting the Government away with it.

I love a lot about Ireland but I really hate that we, as a people, won't rock the boat for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I have evidence as a Ukrainian told me herself that she was in Spain before coming to Ireland as "the Spanish don't pay any money".

She's in student accommodation and is refusing any move outside of Cork and Dublin cities as the countryside doesn't suit her.

And there must be thousands more like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

"This is not possible because provision of accomodation is f-cked in this country anyway and has been for about 30 years now. That's why this is a particular problem for us, the past history and current failures of Irish provision of housing/accomodation going on since God was a boy, and electorate mostly okay with it until recently."

This is a myth, people have been complaining about it for years now but adding 50,000 people needing accomodation in the space of a few months has obviously put far more strees. Its the same argument being made when people say its putting extra stress on our health service " ah what difference does it make, haven't we always had a poor health" Over a 100, 000 Irish children currently on waiting lists.

Time to stop this paying out full dole and childrens allowance, lets bring ourselves in line with other European countries.

I have evidence

That isn't evidence, that's an anecdotal claim by an anonymous person on an internet forum.

Spain do provide financial supports for Ukrainians, as do every other EU country.

I've no idea how you got talking to her or why she decided to pump you full of misinformation. 😕

Also I thought she was going back to Ukraine?

Full Time jobs + Full Social Welfare + Mansion.

I only really come here for the stories. Vivid.

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

You'd swear you never stepped foot outside the front door or never experienced life beyond RTE or something. Not everything is a lie just because it goes against your unwavering heightened sense of moral standing that comes from "defending" people you don't know.

Get a job or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is a shortage of truck drivers because more then any other industry it’s a hyper competitive race to the bottom…pay and conditions are generally lousy.

if employers were paying proper and responsible wages…

I know two lads who are experienced truck drivers 10+ years and supplement their income by driving a shared taxi at weekends and about 2 nights each midweek too.

Bring in more people drives wages down further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The house is a mansion, it belongs to a retired business man who spends most of his time in warmer climes, I've seen it, the Ukrainians are working in the mushroom factory I said I didn't know the setup, could be part cash in hand, its common enough, anyway they are well looked after but it doesn't seem any thanks are forthcoming, but keep walking around with your eyes closed swallowing the ngo's speil and the fluff pieces on radio and tv where no hard questions are ever asked and lets see what the outcome will be long term

Blank cheques being thrown at them now.

Supply and Demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

Your ignorance knows no end does it. It there any subject at all that you don't talk through your arse about.

Sure if they are so difficult in the job and they are getting cash in hand, no notice required. Get rid pronto.

As for the local business man, or retired guy living in another country or whatever he is, get rid pronto.

Let him stick his "mansion" on the open market, he will get multiples of €400 Euro.

👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119489973#Comment_119489973 There was an error displaying this embed.

Ehh. This is just another incarnation of the regular 'Dole/Travellers/Beal Bocht' threads you get on Boards. Really nothing to see here, same old types or their reregs spewing sh1te because they'd rather be posting than working an extra job to afford that down payment on the house they claim to never be able to afford. And of course it's always someone else's fault.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Not so easy to find people for that business but I guess they'll be gone as soon as they find new workers, mushrooms have to be picked on time or you end up with a tunnel full of rotting mushrooms, the business man doesn't need the money, it just he was infected with the "all ukrainians are as white as the driven snow" virus at the time and decided to do a good deed, but he'll survive

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

A common denominator here between the Covid crisis and this crisis is the government response to it.

In both cases being defended to the hilt by some here! I fail to understand it absolute insanity what is going on and the same government for both!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

You're not Simon coveney by any chance Taurean?! He thought we could get up to 20k back in march, who could have foreseen our full dole n free everything policy could have reaped such numbers! Literally no-one!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/up-to-20-000-ukrainian-refugees-could-come-to-ireland-says-coveney-1.4815140

Sure if he didn't need the money, why did he ask for it so? 🙄

Anyway, If I was to rent out my "mansion" for a paltry sum of 400 euro a month and was met with

they kicked up holy hell

They'd be out the gap.

Can't believe the mushroom factory's existence is contingent on a couple of Ukrainian pickers, maybe if they didn't pay cash in hand and employed people properly they wouldn't be in this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Where and how do you find "them" to be "pushy and arrogant"? Are you hanging around the centres they've set up, loitering near the accommodation they've been assigned to? For someone who doesn't seem to like Ukrainians, you seem to encounter them a lot. I mean, there may be many more around me than I realise, but I've no way of telling who is Ukrainian and who isn't when I'm out an about, unless I'm going somewhere where I specifically know there'll be a lot of refugees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

Sorry on this occasion I agree with boggles.. The employer is facilitating them dole scamming if they are paying cash in hand, and your friend is allowing them to take the piss, why is he allowing that type of behaviour no matter how much money he has?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement