Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolved Irish Mysteries.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You can’t arrest someone because you think they did it though.

The Detective Inspector who led her murder inquiry from the get go, believes he knows the identity of the murderer.

but he couldn’t make an arrest due to lack of evidence.

i read an interview with him where it was apparently a psycho odddball in his 20’s who lived in the area and who had an interest in knives and used to carry them for his work, I don’t recall what his job was but it was a trade of some sort…in addition he had psychological problems and a drug habit..

She wasn’t sexually assaulted or robbed…. Stabbed four times…side, chest and shoulder..

so it wasn’t a game gone wrong, it was a deliberate attempt, a successful attempt to murder her.

Post edited by Strumms on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

A mysterious case from 2003 thats been forgotten, but got a lot of media attention at the time. The "cheerio" rapist, as I remember him being referred to by some of the press, as he was alleged to have said to his victim as he left the house. There was a very detailed photo-fit released at the time but I cant find any images online., fella with a tash, swept back hair and wearing very unusual oversized glasses. The guards seemed stumped and a big point was made of the fact neither they nor police in the UK had any record of rapes with a man of that description coupled with the distinctive modus operandi. He doesn't seem to have ever been caught as I remember appeals for several years after.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/appalling-housewife-rape-in-dundrum-still-unsolved-27894367.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Based on what though?

Trevor walking down the street on a wet night suddenly equals witnessing something he should not have and getting killed.

That's a huge leap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh massive leap. She just finds the MIB way too creepy. Thinks it's the same guy following on after him. I'm not sure to be honest. That's a busy enough road and I think if anything had gone down that the couple would have seen or heard something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Lola40

I did some extensive research on the Trevor Deely case a couple of years back. The main theory is that he got into an argument or an altercation with an individual or individuals from a well known gang in Crumlin and was killed by them. It’s so sad for the family that his body has never been recovered, it would finally give them some closure on this.

But what is that theory based on ?

I know it was mentioned a lot at the time of the search a few years ago.

But what makes that theory stronger than any other?

What makes it stronger than going into the water, by chance or otherwise and being carried out to sea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,915 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How would he have fallen into the dodder? He wouldve had to jump the bridge

Not necessarily.

He could have found an bankside to have a piss or get sick in and lost his footing.

Drunk people do risky thighs and fall into bodies of water, that's not unheard of.

Look at the case mentioned earlier of the guy found in the laneway.

What the heck brought him to that laneway in the first place ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The story in the headlines at the moment- the death of Miriam Burns in Killarney. An individual known to the deceased was arrested within one hour of the discovery of her body. It's highly unlikely the Gardai had gathered enough evidence within that short period in order to charge this man. He was arrested on suspicion of having committed the crime probably as a result of information about him provided by members of the victim's family. He has since been released without charge, I see.

The investigating team in the Murray case were likely to have been tipped off in a similar manner in regard to the individual you refer to. So why then was he not arrested on the basis of suspicion just like the fellah in Killarney was? Bring him in for questioning.

Larry Murphy was questioned about the disappearance of Deirdre Jacob, also purely on the basis of suspicion. The Gardai had no compelling evidence that he actually committed the act - at least nothing that would stand up in court - but formed a strong suspicion that he was guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

The Gardai know full well Trevor was murdered. They don't issue appeals for people to come forward if they thought otherwise.

There's too much evidence suggesting people were watching and following him that night.

It's one case I'd love to see solved, for his family, but at this stage it's hard to see it happening.

There's too much evidence suggesting people were watching and following him that night.

Is there ?

What is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The guy waiting in the video takes a call, steps out and looks up the street, ducks back in and following Trevor around to the work gate. Weirdly, getting there first.

That may all be coincidence but it does look like he was being watched and followed.

Still find it odd that the waiting was never mentioned, only that he had an interaction with a lad at the gate and the only photo we were given was a side profile one.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Its a complete coincidence.

The guy also talks with Trevor's colleagues

Was he watching and following them also?

The guy is no unremarkable that Trevor nor his colleagues ever mention him again.

Reddit has a thread where the Crumlin gang theory is discussed with some references to a photo on Twitter that the killer or someone who knows something about the killer is in. What’s your theory then @Fr Tod Umptious ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

All a big coincidence apparently.

Trevor was very drunk, just because he mentioned nothing to his colleagues means little. He was being watched and then followed.

The Gardai also know a lot more than what we do.

My theory is that Reddit and Twitter are worse than boared dot ie for stupid rumours and outlandish ideas

Lol no theory then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'd say the gardai are as clueless as the rest of us. When it came to missing persons cases and murders they were a sham back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Don’t really think we should be judging anyone’s, fairly probable, theories.

I never liked the crumlin gang theory in the Trevor Deely case, always felt falling into the Dodder was the likeliest outcome. The release of that later footage did muddy the waters for me but not enough to discount the river.

But, in a case where nobody knows very much, I think all theories, within reason, should be taken onboard.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

No theory that involves Trevor being the victim of some criminal activity.

I’d love for the Deely case to be solved, love probably the wrong word but some closure for the family.

I think the competing theories are all fairly credible with the absence of much evidence. We’ve all probably been in the shoes being drunk in town in the early hours at some stage. It can be a dangerous place. I’d well understand how you could stop for a sit down or piss and easily lose your footing and fall. Then on the other hand, we all know there’s a lot of creepy and dangerous people around town in the early hours. While some of the theories might be on the more outlandish side, they are still plausible. I think McIntyre’s investigation focused minds on the men in black as a sinister individual side and maybe sensationalised things a bit.

I remember the news around the Chapelizod search; the buzz was that it was entirely credible and that something would be found. I think I even remember the gardai being confident of finding something at the time. I don’t necessarily think whatever tip off was in bad faith, maybe more bad recollection. God, that doesn’t feel like 5 years ago.

Because to arrest you need evidence… otherwise they could arrest the whole lot of her neighbours and have at it… might get the right result but not fair on the innocent neighbours…

if I’m a known car thief, and my neighbours car gets robbed… the worst the Gardai could do would be to knock on my door…and ask to question me.

if a neighbour said they looked out their window at 2am, 10 minutes before the theft, they saw Strumms at the scene opening the gate and looking in the car windows and trying the door, arrest away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There's plenty of exposed bankside along the canal - but to find exposed bankside along the Dodder he either would have had to divert to around the back of Lansdowne Road stadium or else head into Herbert Park. Both long diversions on a rainy night for a piss when his apartment was on Serpentine Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This was the area around the bridge in Ballsbridge a few years back (ca. 2005) and before they removed the toilets and the little bit of green beside it.

Only place to have a quick piss on the way home for him where you had some form of cover. There was an easy way to get in here (behind one of the trees) River wouldn't be too far under the parapet of the small green on the right. Not sure if he fell in here, but that's my theory.

I don't think he saw something by a criminal gang as there were no other serious crimes reported in that area that night (but on the other hand a lot of red light stuff goes unreported). What he saw happened after he left the office, not beforehand as if he saw something beforehand he would go into the office and stay there for protection whilst the criminals wouldn't hang around on the assumption he was calling the Gardai.

Maybe he said something to someone on the street beforehand very innocuously and they decided to 'sort him out' with a few slaps and it all went very wrong. I really don't know.

Anyway, this is the place I mentioned above..

He was already taking a less direct route to Serpentine Ave by heading down Haddington Rd so we have no idea what was going on.

That's the thing about mysteries, we have no facts, only theories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The murder of Michael McCoy in the Dublin Mountains six years ago. Apparently he had made a lot of enemies through his serial objecting to planning applications. Seems that its no closer to being solved.

https://www.thejournal.ie/michael-mccoy-murder-4831157-Oct2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

New article on independent.ie website re Raonaid Murray, premium sub req'd, can anyone summarise?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/raonaid-murray-it-may-have-been-a-woman-who-killed-her-41959671.html

I’m not subscribed but that it was a female is not a theory I can recall hearing before… ‘the murderer lies within her social circle’… wow…fûck.

here is the article from years ago that suggested the Gardai were sure it had been a local tradesman… https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/raonaid-prime-suspect-garda-chief-reveals-who-he-believes-killed-schoolgirl-27991867.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a suspicion the Guards didn't try too hard with this one given one of their own seems to have been rather close to events.

Advertisement